: Torqueriffic..

JTraik
05-10-04, 08:44 PM
Well just got my 68 DeVille...and we put it to the test. Drove it from Des Moines, Iowa to Rochester, NY in 15 hours...not a single problem other than that thirsty engine.

Anyways i noticed a few things. I go to floor it and two undesired things happen....first the carb isnt opening the secondaries and secondly there is a loud grind sound. I found the grind to be the radiator fan hitting the shroud from the twist of the engine...New engine mounts do the trick? And i took a good look at the carb today, nothing is jammed in it, the secondaries move nicely...is this a vacuum problem? I really dont like poking around all those levers and stuff.

Also one very big problem...i put it on the lift and a large portion of the car was covered in tranny fluid back to the tank. I dont know how...but i went 1000 miles with a bad rear main seal spitting out tranny fluid like a task. Wanna point me in the right direction to gettin a replacement?

Shocks and springs need to be replaced...

Angela Desmond
05-11-04, 06:27 PM
The secondaries on Q-Jets are locked out when the choke is closed. Your choke is probably opening, seeing you drove all that distance, but the tang on the choke linkage is probably a bit out of whack and needs adjusting. Get a book on Rochester carbs to adjust it 'cause it's too difficult to describe it with just words here. If that's not the problem, then there are other adjustments for when the secondaries open. They operate by air going past the air valve (the butterflies above the secondaries that appear to be a choke over the secondary plates.) Again, you should read a book on the carb 'cause that's a very tricky adjustment and you may end up doing more harm than good by fooling around with them....As for your tranny leak, when you say rear seal, do you mean the end of the tranny where the driveshaft goes in? If so, there is no seal there. It's sealed by the driveshaft itself.Did you clean the entire area and then check to see exactly where your leak is coming from?Sometimes leaks appear to be coming from one place and they end up coming from somewhere else...Hope that helps...

MMNineInchNails
05-11-04, 06:32 PM
the rear main seal would leak oil, not trans fluid. and the oil would be leaking from between the engine and tranny right where they meet.

JTraik
05-11-04, 09:27 PM
Yeah someone told me otherwise and im not too savy with these things, still learning. However it is coming from the very end of the transmission. If you look close there is a seal and two cracks. I poked in between the cracks and tranny fluid oozed out. Thats confirmation enough for me....I think!!! So what is that seal or whatever called?

voodoo
05-13-04, 01:26 AM
I have a 67 deville convt. with a 68 engine and transmission, mine spits tranny fluid when I shut it off from the same place. I think it is called a tailshaft seal , Im going to replace mine this weekend. Ill tell you how it goes. :welcome:

JTraik
05-15-04, 10:04 PM
I have a 67 deville convt. with a 68 engine and transmission, mine spits tranny fluid when I shut it off from the same place. I think it is called a tailshaft seal , Im going to replace mine this weekend. Ill tell you how it goes. :welcome:

Yeah...Its called a an extension housing seal. And if you didnt buy the seal yet make sure you measure the shaft...myself atleast...was presented with two different sizes I bought the 1.890" one. It would be great if you told me how it went...I want to know how much time to alot, thanks!

I must say...I took 7 hours today to replace an engine mount and I was quite disapointed with the engineering I saw in the stock mount...you would understand if you saw it.

So now i can floor my car with out the fan hitting the shroud. Problem is im no good with this quadra"bog" I put my neighbor in the car in hopes of creating a nasty cloud of tire smoke. I proceeded and my car hesistated then took off...no spinnage :banghead: tips? Yes I will be getting a Edelbrock perfomer this summer.

She burns nicely around the corners though.

voodoo
05-18-04, 10:08 PM
I installed the seal this weekend, It only took me about 30 min, but it didnt fix my problem. A friend said I need some kind of brass bushing in the tailhousing. So far I havent had the time to do anything else about the leak. I hope everthing works out better for you. Ill let you know how it goes when I install the new bushing.

JTraik
05-19-04, 12:40 AM
I installed the seal this weekend, It only took me about 30 min, but it didnt fix my problem. A friend said I need some kind of brass bushing in the tailhousing. So far I havent had the time to do anything else about the leak. I hope everthing works out better for you. Ill let you know how it goes when I install the new bushing.

Well there may be a difference in our problems...i can visibly see the splits in my seal and my leaking behaviours are different than mine. But still would like to know what went on for future reference...thanks!

timtim
05-20-04, 09:19 AM
In regards to the Q-jet carb. Get a book on rebulding/adjusting the carb. There is also info on the web. These carbs are killer when properly calibrated!!! They seldomly came from the factory with optimum settings. throttle response from a Q-jet should be very impressive with a big cube motor. Some info can be found on other car sites too. Performanceyears.com has a nice pontiac forum and a search feature. hope this helps with the bog.