: Help! All dash lights on and no gauges, Catera

LYK2ROC
01-07-08, 10:27 AM
I am working on a 97 Catera. I went to jump start it the other day. It had a Wal Mart battery in it, and completely dead. I jumpstarted it right away, and it started, but it immediately died after I took of the jumper cables. It has a brand new AC Delco alt in it, and I took the battery back and they got me a new one, free replacement. I charged it for over an hour, and it had very low cold cranking amps. So I installed that and seemed to fix one problem.

But... none of the gauges work except for the temp gauge and fuel gauge. The volts and the oil pressure show zero. The tach works when you first start it up, then goes to zero in a matter of about 30 sec. It runs like garbage, and starts out with tc on every time. Cannot override it. Here is the 2nd part of the story. My neighbor took it to a garage to have something fixed, not sure what it was doing, as it is her son's car... They changed the alternator, timing belt, and water pump. $1500 later. Also, she told me that they had 1500 spent at an axle shop. I haven't seen the receipt there, so I have no idea what was replaced there. Is it possible that there is a bad ecm, with so many problems? Or a bad ground to the ecm? Or a bad ground somewhere else? No fuses are blown anywhere.

Here are the codes it was setting. po725, po301, p1701, p1460, p1700, po140, po116, po134, po154. I cleared them out and p1701 and po301 came back on after I drove it. It is missing terrible, and smells terrible, almost like when a Mass Air Flow Sensor goes bad. The son paid around 3500 for the car, and has almost that in it again, and is going nowhere in a hurry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:cool:

LYK2ROC
01-20-08, 07:08 PM
Anyone have any ideas? I really need to get this thing fixed. I hate to spend any money on this thing, unless I absolutely have to. I would rather try to fix it myself. Any help would be appreciated.:hmm:

sccatera97
01-20-08, 07:48 PM
I know this will sound stupid but check and see if the mass air is installed backwards. It has a direction arrow. When I first started working on mine, I installed it backwards and it ran very similar to how you describe. I will look into the gauge issue.

LYK2ROC
01-21-08, 07:47 PM
I know this will sound stupid but check and see if the mass air is installed backwards. It has a direction arrow. When I first started working on mine, I installed it backwards and it ran very similar to how you describe. I will look into the gauge issue.

Thank you. I will try that when it warms up this weekend. Any ideas on the cluster not working? It would seem to me a ground is not making a connection, or the ECM is shot.