: Redrilled cam sprockets vs aftermarket cams

eldorado1
05-10-04, 06:22 PM
I was looking into getting some of CHRFab's 280* or 288* cams for my northstar project, and not knowing a thing about camshafts, thought I would ask if it would be cheaper with the same results to go with redrilled sprockets? My goal would be 320+hp @6500-7000rpm, with a minimum amount of lope. I know on the 3.4L dohc v6, you can retard the exhaust cams 13 degrees for an easy 20hp...

dloch
05-10-04, 06:32 PM
I was looking into getting some of CHRFab's 280* or 288* cams for my northstar project, and not knowing a thing about camshafts, thought I would ask if it would be cheaper with the same results to go with redrilled sprockets? My goal would be 320+hp @6500-7000rpm, with a minimum amount of lope. I know on the 3.4L dohc v6, you can retard the exhaust cams 13 degrees for an easy 20hp...
Talk to Alan about your intentions and get his input. Keep in mind the weight of your car versus what he is working with, a sand car. Horsepower is nice but you need torque to get these heavy cars moving. I believe changing the torque converter is going to give you the best bang for the buck though. I should be able to qualify that later this week I hope.

eldorado1
05-10-04, 06:48 PM
Hehehe... I should mention that my car will have a curb weight of roughly 2900lbs :D The engine's going into a fiero... I called Alan once to ask about what was necessary for a 7000+rpm redline, and while he was a nice guy, it sure sounded like he was a busy man... I don't want to bother him - especially if I end up *not* buying his cams ;) Or perhaps I also want a slightly more neutral opinion :worship:

eldorado1
05-12-04, 06:36 PM
....aaaaaaany other opinions? <We need more power captain!>

dloch
05-12-04, 07:20 PM
Redrilling the cam sprockets will move the power band around. If you drill the sprocket to get more top end power, horsepower, you will no doubt sacrifice low end torque. With a 2900 lb car that shouldn't much of an issue, with a a car that is as heavy as some of our cars it is a very big issue.

Again talk to Alan, he does redrill sprockets and he has a alot of knowledge about hot rodding a NorthStar. If your going to run the motor past 6500 RPM and it has had any miles on it your going to want to change the valve springs. Believe me, you don't want to get this valve train into valve float of any kind or you will be sweeping up parts. If you change the valve springs you should be able to wind the motor to 7500 plus with little trouble at all.

That being the case I would ask Alan what he can to with your sprockets to move the power band up some. I would think he will retard the cams some to do that depending overlap and by how many degrees.

Is this the same engine you were asking about to put the 96/97 plastic intake on?

eldorado1
05-13-04, 12:39 AM
Redrilling the cam sprockets will move the power band around. If you drill the sprocket to get more top end power, horsepower, you will no doubt sacrifice low end torque. With a 2900 lb car that shouldn't much of an issue, with a a car that is as heavy as some of our cars it is a very big issue.

Again talk to Alan, he does redrill sprockets and he has a alot of knowledge about hot rodding a NorthStar. If your going to run the motor past 6500 RPM and it has had any miles on it your going to want to change the valve springs. Believe me, you don't want to get this valve train into valve float of any kind or you will be sweeping up parts. If you change the valve springs you should be able to wind the motor to 7500 plus with little trouble at all.

That being the case I would ask Alan what he can to with your sprockets to move the power band up some. I would think he will retard the cams some to do that depending overlap and by how many degrees.

Is this the same engine you were asking about to put the 96/97 plastic intake on?
Okay cool. I didn't know he did sprockets too... I was planning on going with his stiffer springs at the very least.. This isn't *exactly* the same engine, but same project... I sold the 94 and will be picking up a 96 next week.