: Toyota lies to claim #1 spot.

Jesda
01-06-08, 06:42 AM
Toyota Motor Corp.'s namesake division may declare itself the No. 1 auto brand in the U.S. for 2007. General Motors Corp.'s Chevrolet won't agree.
The dispute pivots on one question: How should sales of Toyota's Scion cars be tallied?
At stake are bragging rights that go with the top-selling line of autos in the U.S. Toyota's count includes Scion, cars that bear no Toyota badges and are marketed separately. By that measure, the Japanese automaker's lead through November sets the stage for a full-year win. Leave Scion out, and Chevy will likely retake the title when results are released today.
"I don't think for a second that Scion is a Toyota vehicle; it's clearly its own brand," said Tom Libby, an analyst for J.D. Power and Associates. "You might as well count Pontiac vehicles as Chevrolet sales if you think Scion's a Toyota."

If Toyota can claim Scion as part of Toyota-brand sales, then the Chevrolet division should be able to claim Saturn, Pontiac, and GMC. This is ridiculous. This is also the same Toyota that months ago explicitly said it didn't care about sales rankings.

Bunch of liars obsessed with quantity. No wonder quality is slipping.

Crown Vic Owner
01-06-08, 07:30 AM
Toyota went down the drain years ago

misfit6794
01-06-08, 09:13 AM
I wonder why they didn't claim lexus if they were going to try to do that. If you think about it though, toyota created scion to get younger buyers in, and replace their god awful echo. Scion is only 3 economy models, that compete against chevy's korean aveo and cobalt. I don't think sales positions matter at all compared to consumer perceptions, and most are that chevy is crap and toyota can do no wrong.

N0DIH
01-06-08, 09:28 AM
Consumer Reports and companies like that have the public so brainwashed it isn't even funny. And they claim to be unbiased...... About cars, they are very biased.....

Quality Perception is a big problem with Americans.... How the company handles things is another. Toyota will bury a "recall" as a quiet "campaign" and keep it out of the press and spotlight, but GM and Ford will be up front and honest about it and make it happen. With Toyota up in sales now, their quality has been worst ever. They are learning it isn't so easy as they think....

Cadillacboy
01-06-08, 10:09 AM
What would you expect from a company having Toyoda to Toyota
lol

c5 rv
01-06-08, 10:41 AM
Sorry, Toyota, you shouldn't be able to have it both ways - a separate Scion brand to attract younger buyers AND include Scion sales as Toyota sales.

N0DIH
01-06-08, 02:12 PM
They are trying to beef up the brand.... deception is one they excel at....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-06-08, 02:39 PM
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist

LS1Mike
01-06-08, 07:43 PM
I don't know what to say, as most of the Americans will believe it. I suppose I will just keep my mouth shut on this one as you can see from my signature, imports are far from being my favorite type a transportation.

N0DIH
01-06-08, 08:59 PM
I love you guys' signatures! I saved them once to send to a friend, he got a good kick out of them....

Did you make them yourself? I would love to do one of a Fleetwood Brougham towing a line of imports along......

LS1Mike
01-06-08, 09:08 PM
JimmyH made mine as far as I remeber.

Sandy
01-07-08, 01:19 PM
This is the same corporation thatgot kicked outta NASCAR for cheating.

I'd rather adorn pink panties with ruffles than own, drive, or ride in a Toyopet.

My $$$ goes into either a Caddy, a Lincoln or a Jeep. "F" the imports.

Since Scion is part of Toyopet, then Chevy should claim Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Buick & Cadillac, since they are all the same company, GM, just as Scion is the same company as Toyopet.

N0DIH
01-07-08, 01:27 PM
And Hummer, GMC Medium Duty truck, Saab, and .....

This is the same corporation thatgot kicked outta NASCAR for cheating.

I'd rather adorn pink panties with ruffles than own, drive, or ride in a Toyopet.

My $$$ goes into either a Caddy, a Lincoln or a Jeep. "F" the imports.

Since Scion is part of Toyopet, then Chevy should claim Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Buick & Cadillac, since they are all the same company, GM, just as Scion is the same company as Toyopet.

NOT ON MY WATCH
01-07-08, 01:52 PM
All major car companies have done stupid, wrong things. Many have even put people's lives at risk due to extreme cost cutting measures and poor engineering. I'm talking about imports and domestics alike.

I think it's fair to call a company on specific BS when you see it, but to then continue to bash them ad infinitum as if they were the only company that pulled crap on the public - and as if the company that makes the car you drive never did anything like that - is LAME.

Jesda
01-07-08, 04:46 PM
All major car companies have done stupid, wrong things. Many have even put people's lives at risk due to extreme cost cutting measures and poor engineering. I'm talking about imports and domestics alike.

I think it's fair to call a company on specific BS when you see it, but to then continue to bash them ad infinitum as if they were the only company that pulled crap on the public - and as if the company that makes the car you drive never did anything like that - is LAME.

Here's the important part: Toyota sucks RIGHT NOW.

LS1Mike
01-07-08, 05:28 PM
Here's the important part: Toyota sucks RIGHT NOW.

Concurance and the import nut swingers have been bashing GM long enough.
It is time for some pay back.

NOT ON MY WATCH
01-07-08, 05:35 PM
I guess if you guys feel a need to bash - enjoy.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-07-08, 06:41 PM
just another company playing the shell game to get someones attention ...

GM has allowed ford to claim #1 full size pickup for years ....but i bet combined sales of the Silverado/Sierra exceed the F series ....

If Gm wants to counter this they need to simply start running GM ads

Becuse Ill bet the Epsilon Platform sold more units then the Camry (car) platform , thats G6/Malibu/Aura/9-3/BLS VS Camry/Solara/ES350

ryannel2003
01-11-08, 09:30 PM
My 2000 Camry is much better built than anything after 2002... but I do like the new Camry's a lot.

N0DIH
01-11-08, 10:50 PM
My sister in law always complained the 98 ups were so much cheaper and worse quality than her 94 Camry.... You know, the one I had to rebuild the engine for her at 79K miles.... Yes, you DO have to pop the hood more than once a year to at least CHECK the oil..... I wasn't thrilled by the car, nothing special at all. Was easy to rebuild engine in the car. But parts weren't cheap.... But the car sure felt cheap compared to my 91 Bonneville....

LS1Mike
01-11-08, 11:10 PM
GM has allowed ford to claim #1 full size pickup for years ....but i bet combined sales of the Silverado/Sierra exceed the F series ....

They do.
Last year Ford sold 690,589 F-Series trucks
Chevy sold 618,257 Silverados
GMC Sold 208,243 Sierras
So GM sold 826,500 Trucks that is 113,591 more than Ford
While it is true Ford is the best selling name plate.
GM sells the most trucks. Period.

ryannel2003
01-12-08, 03:44 PM
The '97-'01 models are cheaper than the '92-'96 models. In order to decrease costs, they had to cheapen a few things. Mainly, the interior and the overall sturdiness of the car. A know many people that have said the same things about the cars, but Camry's are still good cars.

AMGoff
01-13-08, 03:36 PM
A Japanese carmaker doing something underhanded in order to one-up the competition? Never....

Sneaky and underhanded go hand-in-hand with that country's auto-industry.

LS1Mike
01-13-08, 03:57 PM
A Japanese carmaker doing something underhanded in order to one-up the competition? Never....

Sneaky and underhanded go hand-in-hand with that country's auto-industry.

Ding Ding Ding, I agree with you on that point.

DaveSmed
01-13-08, 11:14 PM
God I hate Toyota and Scion..... Shame, since once upon a time before they became obsessed with being the blandest lowest common denominator transportation appliance, they actually cracked out some interesting cars. The original MR2 was pretty neat, as was the late 70's to mid 80s RWD Celicas. They had some sort of personality at least, and were enjoyable to drive. I look at the newest MR2 and Celica, and it's like they went out of their way to suck any remaining fun from those cars.

The latest Camrys are huge piles. Quality issues are already showing up.

N0DIH
01-13-08, 11:40 PM
My dad came close to buying one of the last RWD Celica's, but they were so stubborn on dealing at all my dad went elsewhere and bought a VW Rabbit.... We liked the idea that it was stick and RWD....

My sister had a 78 Dodge Challenger that was sorta fun, 2.6L Hemi 4 (Mitsubishi powered) and a 5 speed, RWD....

The attitude of so many of the owners thinking they are so "good" because they bought a Toyota. Or that twerp in the modifed Scion xA trying to keep up with my LT1.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Idiot. Or should I say SUCKER!

gdwriter
01-14-08, 12:54 AM
I drove a '74 Celica ST through high school, college and my first year on my own (1982-89). It was a fun little car, although it seemed to have a nervous breakdown in the summer of 1986 when something seemed to break every other week. The stick shift was so smooth and positive, it had good brakes and decent get-up and go for the time, and it did have personality. Current Toyotas leave me cold. I had an '06 Corolla as a rental a while back, and it was the most uncomfortable driving position I've ever encountered. I couldn't wait to get back into my old Cadillac.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-08, 01:00 AM
Supras were cool.

And that's about it.

N0DIH
01-14-08, 01:21 PM
Admittedly I like the Toyota DOHC 6 cyl, and the turbo version, good design. What happened?