: Getting Screwed

BlackCaddy87
01-04-08, 09:19 AM
I took my car in the other day because the speedo went out and I could hear something rattling inside the transmission along with a little transmission leak. Other than that it was shifting smooth and going through all the gears just like before, even the transmission fluid looked brand new. I dropped my car off overnight so they could get started on it right away the next morning.

They told me that something inside the transmission broke and sent it flying through the tranny that just happened to exit where the vss is located knocking the clip that holds the vss back into the tranny. They also mentioned that my car was pouring motor oil around the oil filter and they had no clue what kind of damage I had to the engine because they haven't had time to look at it yet. I told them that it wasn't doing the before I took it in and I showed them where my car was parked overnight and there was a little tranny fluid but yet no motor oil. He said maybe there wasn't a leak after all and they were mistaken. They said I couldn't have a rebuild and would need a new transmission, the price they gave me for a USED transmission was $3000 not including the labor. I told them to leave my car alone and I'd have it towed to another mechanic.

My father-in-law works at a shop thats out of town so thats where i'm taking it now, he laughed when I told him the price and said the story sounded a little odd. We found a lot of used transmissions under $1000 with some even having a warranty, we also found a rebuilt transmission and rebuild engine together for $2500. He thinks he can take most of the internals of the old transmission and place them in a new one replacing the defected parts.

I haven't looked at my bill at the other shop yet but I have a feeling its not going to be pretty.

Submariner409
01-04-08, 10:06 AM
Sounds like, if you have the bucks and a little time, you could drop the engine/trans unit, do the necessary work, and resto the engine compartment to like new. A worthwhile job. Whatever dealer that is, he's jerking you around.

BlackCaddy87
01-04-08, 10:12 AM
Through my father-in-law it'll be $1500 installed.

I have a few questions...can a 96-99 transmission fit to a 95 northstar and does the vin make a difference? I found a 96 thats cheaper and has less miles. I've also been wanting to switch my gear ratios of 3:11 to 3:73 and this seems like a good time to do it. How much harder would this be and what would be the easiest way to do this?

ProfessorTrev
01-04-08, 10:37 AM
They said I couldn't have a rebuild and would need a new transmission, the price they gave me for a USED transmission was $3000 not including the labor. I told them to leave my car alone and I'd have it towed to another mechanic.

I'm about sick of dealerships, they are forever tryin to get one over. They make up long elaborated stories and try to use big words to confuse you. Thats about the most made up story I've ever herd though man. Good Luck.

Submariner409
01-04-08, 10:58 AM
BlackCaddy, There are some differences in the N* engines through the '90s. One of our full-time Cadillac Techs will have to snoop around and figure out what will not only bolt together, but also what will electrically/electronically work. There's more involved in a final drive ratio change than simple mechanical swaps.

Zorb750
01-07-08, 12:27 AM
Pouring oil?!?! You would have noticed that. You can make that happen by loosening one of the screws on the oil filter adapter plate just a bit. It will also happen if the oil pressure sensor is loose or exploded (mine blew up, cracked down the side, dumped 2.5 quarts during 20 miles drive.)

Anyway, $2000 on GMPartsDirect for ACDelco rebuilt transmission.

BlackCaddy87
01-07-08, 02:04 PM
How much fluid does the 4t80 transmission hold? This will be the best time to fill it up with royal purple since you can never get all the old fluid out when you service it.

Zorb750
01-07-08, 04:51 PM
Forget Royal Purple. Redline's a lot better.

You really shouldn't need some kind of special ATF though. Just use Mobil 1, which is already an upgrade.

I think you should get 15 to be safe.