: Forget the LS7 will this fit?

GMBOUND
01-03-08, 11:22 PM
There's even pics of this baby. The supercharger w/ intercooler is sooo sweet!

Mark Phelan Takes a Look Inside the New Corvette Engine
Detroit Free Press

By Mark Phelan
Jan. 3, 2007

More than 620 horses

The supercharged 6.2-liter V8 will produce more than 620 horsepower when it goes on sale in the 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 this summer. It is the most powerful production engine in General Motors' history, and should get 28-30 m.p.g. in highway driving.

Supercharger

The sixth-generation supercharger from Eaton Corp. uses a brand-new design that has four lobes to compress air and boost engine output. Previous superchargers had just three lobes that twisted just 60 degrees. The extra lobe and the new blower's 160-degree twist help it to compress air more efficiently, reducing fuel consumption.

Piston

Oil jets spray the forged aluminum pistons to keep them cool in the super-hot high-pressure combustion chamber. The LS9 is the first of GM's small-block V8s whose output is high enough to require oil jets, but the company uses the system in other high-performance engines.

Cylinder head

The cylinder heads use a special aluminum alloy to handle the extreme heat of a supercharged engine. The intake ports feature small bumps to increase the motion of the air and mix it more thoroughly with the fuel for more efficient combustion.

Transmission

The ZR1 gets the latest version of the Tremec six-speed manual transmission that has been a Corvette mainstay for years. Performance-oriented gear ratios help the car reach 60 m.p.h. in first gear, while a new twin-disc clutch was developed to provide light pedal effort and smooth gear engagement.

lunarx
01-04-08, 02:41 AM
Nice SC.
I'll take one. :duck:

I still think an LS7 is better, since it can make 600 HP on just motor.
SC an LS7 and you have 750+HP. :cool:

thebigjimsho
01-04-08, 02:56 AM
The ZR1 is getting nowhere near 28mpg. The only way you can get these V8s that high is with tall 6th gears. The ZR1 is getting a tighter set of ratios. Gas savings is out the window with this car...

pietroraimondi
01-04-08, 05:50 AM
Nice SC.
I'll take one. :duck:

I still think an LS7 is better, since it can make 600 HP on just motor.
SC an LS7 and you have 750+HP. :cool:

The CTSV engine bay might not provide all of the room necessary with all of the LS7 accessories as well as the dry sump oil system.

Ernie; I also believe that I read somewhere that the GM engineers did not feel comfortable that the LS7 block with its thin walls lent itself well to forced induction although many in the aftermarket have done so.

Probably a more cost effective approach would be the LS3. The cylinder heads and fuel injectors are basically carry overs from the LS7 and the LS3 is grossly under-rated from the factory at 436HP.

A cold air intake and HP Tune has been getting 500 BHP out of the LS3.

LG Motorsports recently installed a higher lift cam, CAI, Headers, UD pulley and HP Tune and produced 507 RWHP.

Take into account the 20% powertrain loss and you have an LS3 producing 630 HP at the flywheel on all motor and no forced induction.

For my money; if anyone was considering an engine swap on their CTSV; the LS3 would be the most cost effective approach and will support 650 BHP with it's stock internals.

Anything above that would require a forged rotating assembly.

But I think it would be safe to say that even an all motor LS3 with stock internals and a higher lift cam producing 600 plus BHP is more than the CTSV rear differential would ever begin to be able to handle.

Producing HP and Torque out of any of the LS platforms has never been the problem; the problem has always been getting it to the rear wheels in one piece.

Happy Holidays Ernie.....best regards: Pete

Feffman
01-04-08, 07:20 AM
Hi All:

I'm not a huge Vette fan but the 2008-2009 tweaked (interior mainly) C6, ZO6 and now the new ZR1 are simply fantastic. I just love the idea of a $70,000-$100,000 car built in Bowling Green, KY kicking the crap out of or at least holding its own against the myriad of 911 (nearly as common as a Vette), Ferrari F430, Lamborghini (??), etc. for significantly less $$$ is a hoot. Yes I know Vettes can be a dime-a-dozen, but...

God bless Yankee genius! Now about that LS9 engine in a CTS-V. HE, HE, HE!

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

pietroraimondi
01-04-08, 07:46 AM
After selling my 05 CTSV due to realizing that the rear carrier would always be a problem any powertrain modifications would always be jeopardized by the weak link in the rear end, I finally caved in and bought a loaded C6 LS3 on New Years Eve.

GM did an incredible job on revising the interior with the hand stitched finishing along the dash and console that is identical to what they have done to the new CTS and my wifes 07 AWD V8 SRX.

For the first time in years, I can freely modify the LS3 engine without the worry of having my rear differential cracking at the carrier mount.

While I will always own a Cadillac; it is refreshing to have a plethora of aftermarket accessories readily available for the Vette and I have to say that getting in and out requires more work, it really does ride as smooth as the CTSV.

It's been about 20 years since I last owned a Corvette and I have to say that the fit, finish and ride quality was nothing like I expected.

My wife even commented that it rode as smooth as her SRX!

c5racr1
01-04-08, 08:43 AM
my ls7 fit in my v just fine

lunarx
01-04-08, 01:17 PM
LS7's have been installed in several V's by tuners as well as individuals.
I have seen the oil tanks go in front of the radiators.

It could be true that the LS7 might have too weak of a block to handle a SC.
Therefore, the LS3 is the next best thing and a bargin to boot.
If Petes statements are correct, that LS3 is amazing, once modded.

I guess if you are crazy enough to want a SC 427, a C5R block or a properly sleved LS3/LS2 block would be required.
Maybe next year. :alchi:

Kael
01-04-08, 02:36 PM
well you have to take into account the powerband that will be available.
dont let peak horsepower numbers fool you.

sure you can get 630hp out of the engine naturally aspirated but I wonder what the power band and torque looks like on that supercharged version.

lets say the 630 naturally aspirated engine has greater than 550 hp for 20% of its powerband with a peak of 630. nice right?
then consider that the supercharged engine probably has 550hp available through 80% of its power band.

lunarx
01-04-08, 02:57 PM
well you have to take into account the powerband that will be available.
dont let peak horsepower numbers fool you.

sure you can get 630hp out of the engine naturally aspirated but I wonder what the power band and torque looks like on that supercharged version.

lets say the 630 naturally aspirated engine has greater than 550 hp for 20% of its powerband with a peak of 630. nice right?
then consider that the supercharged engine probably has 550hp available through 80% of its power band.

If an engine has a flat HP curve, it's not breathing up high (torque falling).
The torque curve on the SC, however, should be near peak for 80% of it's powerband (will definetly fall of up top).
SC yeilds far better low end torque but mid & top end would be nearly identical to a NA car with same HP.