: white smoke n hp loss

ProfessorTrev
01-03-08, 05:33 PM
96 sedan deville
My pops took it to the dealership and they said it was a cracked block, but I didn't believe it so I spoke with a few mechanics and they think its something else.
What happens is when I'm driving and hit about 60mph the car starts missing. Not to mention the white smoke coming from the exhaust.
I stopped driving it so in case it was a cracked block the oil and water don't mix.
Anyone else have this problem before?

Ranger
01-03-08, 06:25 PM
Start by pulling the DTC's. A cracked block is very rare. No smoke at idle?

ProfessorTrev
01-03-08, 08:17 PM
Aight, after standing out in balls cold weather (below 20 F) I managed to pull the codes:

PC0603
IP1552
PZ1552
RF2560
PCM?

The car does blow the white smoke at idle but after running it for a while it doesn't do it anymore.
After reading around I've discovered that it could be water or antifreeze going in the exhaust making the white smoke. And at times can be normal, but from my understanding it happens a lot.

Submariner409
01-03-08, 08:34 PM
Bad winter for pre-'00 Sevilles/deVilles.

Are you losing any coolant from the surge tank? Do you have to fill it to the mark every few days? What does the "white smoke" smell like?

Go to one of the car parts houses and get a coolant test kit. Cheap. That will tell you what's in the coolant other than good things.

If your surge tank has orange fluid, it's DEXCOOL. Green is older style coolant. Top up with same type, and don't overfill.

If the car emits considerable vapor for a while and then stops, with no coolant loss or overheating, you're home free. Normal in cold temps. Probably pisses on the garage floor under the mufflers, too.

Best of all worlds: Tuneup, throttlebody cleaning, plugs, wires time. Worst case: Leaking headgasket(s).

ProfessorTrev
01-03-08, 08:57 PM
I don't remember what the smoke smelled like but I didn't have to refill the coolant level that much. Only every few months....which I thought was average. I think my pops checked the plugs, but I'll recheck tomorrow when it gets light again and not as cold.

Ranger
01-03-08, 09:18 PM
You should NEVER have to add coolant. Next time it is idling and "smoking", go back there and stick your nose right in it and take a good whiff. It will either smell like coolant, oil or gas. Let us know what it is.

ProfessorTrev
01-03-08, 09:36 PM
"go back there and stick your nose right in it and take a good whiff."

ROFL geez dood, you tryin to kill me? I don't know much about cars but I do recall Carbon monoxide in science class.
Will do tomorrow though! I'll definitely check it tomorrow after my pop recharges the battery. She hasn't been ran for a while and needs to juice.

Ranger
01-03-08, 10:04 PM
Hehe, one good whiff won't hurt you any.

Crown Vic Owner
01-03-08, 10:16 PM
I believe YOU ranger recommended cleaning the tailpipes, driving the car, and seeing what color it is.

A antifreeze test for exhaust gases costs around 20 bucks IIRC, might be worthwhile

Ranger
01-03-08, 10:36 PM
Nope, that wasn't me. I don't think it would show any color.

Crown Vic Owner
01-03-08, 11:27 PM
I thought also by smell of the carbon buildup on the pipes.

Ranger
01-03-08, 11:31 PM
Either way, it would not show any color to identify it as coolant.

Crown Vic Owner
01-03-08, 11:32 PM
Ok,

i dont know where i read that on here.

ProfessorTrev
01-04-08, 10:27 AM
I'm still at work now, I don't get to try er out till later but what about the HP loss. She don't like going faster than 60 mph. Could that be a result of the exhaust?
And do you really think this could be a cracked block? Or am I right for thinking the dealership was trying to get my pops? Its amazing cause after that he gave up on the car and was like I could have it.

ProfessorTrev
01-04-08, 06:38 PM
Ok, I've returned from being under the hood for about 3 hours. My back hurts and my fingers are still numb.
The white smoke...I put my nose directly in the tail pipe, as i was told, and it smelled like gas.....thats all i smelled....no antifreeze....no oil (which I thought was blue smoke), i anything water....because water has no smell. It just smelled like gas. Everytime I rev'd my engine, more white smoke would pile and thrust into the air.
There is a small clicking noise....not sure where just yet though.
I looked at the oil and it was normal.
I checked the transmission fluid (took me approx 45 mins to find) and it was fine.
Couldn't check coolant...I couldn't find the bottle. Not sure where it is just yet.
Only thing that was low was windshield wiper fluid.
She sounded nice though when I rev'd.
I spent a great deal of time with the flat tires...they are all cool now though.

Ranger
01-04-08, 07:34 PM
OK, thick white "smoke" that smells like gas is actually fuel vapor from an extremely rich fuel condition. Check for a leaking FPR for starters. If that is OK, I'd look for a stuck open injector(s).

ProfessorTrev
01-05-08, 02:42 PM
FPR looks fine, and injectors seem to be ok. I don't see any leakage of gas anywhere. What I did notice was when I took the fpr out, gas came out a lil. I DID unscrew the thingy...the uhh.....you know what I"m talking about. It looks like the cap that goes on tires, but its on the fuel line. anyhow, doesn't seem to be that.

ProfessorTrev
01-05-08, 04:53 PM
Aight, back in from another day of freezen ballz weather and workin' on this deville. Status:
She runs. Still getting white smoke out the exhaust...I got my friend to smell it to see if she smelled anything wrong or anything at all...she said it smelled kinda "sweet" to her. Which sparked in my mind, Anti-Freeze. For some reason it just smells like gas to me though...I checked the FPR, and it's sealed tight. I looked at the fuel injectors and they all looked to be working and sounded ok. So I decided to drive around the block to check it out again...now...when I first started her today I got a cloud of white smoke....then after the smoke cleared, it was little bits of white smoke...so when I drove around the block and came back and pulled in the drive way the white smoke went away, it was just bits of smoke...looked normal for cold weather to me....I went back and smelled it again and it smelled like gas to me. I put my finger in the piped to see if any liquid is in there...when I pulled it out there was some, and it was some black residue. I shoved my finger up my nostril to smell and it smelled like gas, looked like water and moved like water with black residue.
Now when I drove around the block she seemed to have a bit of delay from when i pressed the pedal and her going. It has always been like that I think though. But when I rev'd her, when I pressed the pedal down, she would seem to have to get set for the rev. Like, at idle it would make normal noise, then when I rev'd she would get a bit quiet and then growl. Not sure if thats normal, cause in my other cars (4 cyls) they would rev right away.
Oh! and pulled codes after resetting (unplugging negative from battery and replugging) computer and then riding around the block.
The codes:
pc0603 HISTORY
ip1552 HISTORY
pz1552 HISTORY
rf2560 HISTORY
i herd one of them had somethin to do with the radio and the radio is messing up...seems like only 1 of my speakers are playing correctly, the rest are like missing mid and low frequencies and not that loud.

Not sure what I'm going to do now...still scratching my head, anyone have any ideas?

Ranger
01-05-08, 05:21 PM
Sweet smell is coolant. I would either get the coolant tested for exhaust gases or get a cylider pressure test done to condemn or rule out the head gaskets.

ProfessorTrev
01-08-08, 02:16 PM
Ok, my friend had this brilliant idea. We went to pep boys and got this head gasket repair stuff that I have to run through my coolant system. I said why not, it couldn't hurt if I did it correctly. So we got all the most expensive brand things they had their to be sure, and everything that said GM approved. So I got the flush, some anti freeze, and the stuff...I forget what its called, forgive me.
So last night I was going to flush the system....I got all my stuff out and jacked the car up...I was ready....I went under it...and spent about 4-5 hours looking for the drain.
I checked the forums and I read you said something before about a petcock ranger, and that it is abnormal and that there should be an access opening in the guard to get to it. Well I spent all night looking, I ran through the cars manual as well. I saw a picture but I still couldn't find it. I think I found it, but it is not easy access. It looks like the hole is too small.
Anyone have any pictures or anything involving this where I could look. I'd even be happy with pulling one of the pipes if I have to. I just need help locating on this confusing car.

ProfessorTrev
01-08-08, 02:52 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/123377-am-i-being-dumb-cant-open.html
....ftw
thats what I found and that kinda answered my question. Will be on later after work.

Ranger
01-08-08, 05:40 PM
They keep moving the damn things around. I think on the '96 it is mounted on the backside of the radiator and what you see in that picture is when it drains from the bottom. Loosen the two intake duct clamps. Unplug the IAT sensor and swing the entire air filter box up and toward the windshield. That will give you access to the drain plug. That said, the snake oil you bought (probably Heal-A-Seal or Thermogasket) won't work. We've been down this road before. Just trying to save you some time, effort & money.

ProfessorTrev
01-09-08, 09:12 AM
Well I still have to flush the radiator, it hasn't been done ina while, not to mention I need to learn how. So I loosened the claps and unplugged teh IAT sensor and threw the box at my windshield. I tried to reach my hand down and it wouldnt fit. In the way it part of the fan, and this soft tube that runs down from my engine. Tried to take the tube out but the screw is too tight and weird. There is a little hole at the bottom when I try to go from underneath but nothing fits up that hole. I have no idea how to get to this thing and WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT?! All my other cars was simple, this is just rediculous.

Ranger
01-09-08, 09:33 PM
Pull the splash shield off and go in from the bottom.

ProfessorTrev
01-10-08, 08:01 AM
I didn't see a splash shield but I got it. I crafted some crazy tool and was able to pull the down pipe. It went EVERYWHERE lmfao. I managed to get it up though.
THANK YOU SO MUCH RANGER!
You stuck wit me ^.^

Ranger
01-10-08, 11:56 AM
Persistence and ingenuity usually pays off in the end.