: today in history

EcSTSatic
01-03-08, 11:39 AM
Happy anniversary Koz! :highfive: Today in 1959, President Eisenhower signed the official declaration which made Alaska the 49th state

Victoria Principle was born in 1945 in Fukuoka, Japan. That's pretty amazing considering we were still at war with them.

What a babe! :p
http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/lg/2/2/Celebrity-Image-Victoria-Principal-228095.jpg

CadillacGurl
01-03-08, 12:37 PM
:koz:

dkozloski
01-04-08, 04:17 AM
Happy anniversary Koz! :highfive: Today in 1959, President Eisenhower signed the official declaration which made Alaska the 49th state

Victoria Principle was born in 1945 in Fukuoka, Japan. That's pretty amazing considering we were still at war with them.

What a babe! :p
http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/lg/2/2/Celebrity-Image-Victoria-Principal-228095.jpg
Alaska has been treated like the ugly step child ever since. The statehood act was illegal and in violation of the U.N. charter because we were not allowed a vote on becoming a commonwealth. There is an active movement in Alaska to force a vote on the subject along with some other wackos pushing for total independence. Less than 1% of the land in Alaska is in private hands and the rest is under government or tribal control. We might as well be living in a communist dictatorship where there is no private land ownership at all.

JimHare
01-04-08, 09:24 AM
Koz, you hit the nail on the head. Alaska, like Hawaii and, to a lesser extent, the Phillipines and Puerto Rico, were more or less completely independent foreign entities before we invaded, conquered, and then annexed them all in the name of Democracy. We did buy you from Russia for a good price, but I don't think the natives had much say in the deal.

dkozloski
01-04-08, 03:40 PM
When the fifty year anniversary celebration of the AlCan Highway and Russian lend-lease was held in Fairbanks, the Russian participants had an interesting story to tell. The Russian people were told by the Czar that it wasn't a sale, it was a 99 year lease and they'd get Alaska back in 1967. The copies of the agreement in Moscow say lease and the copies of the agreement in Washington D.C. say sale.

EcSTSatic
01-04-08, 03:41 PM
When the fifty year anniversary celebration of the AlCan highway and lend-lease was held in Fairbanks, the Russian participants had an interesting story to tell. The Russian people were told by the Czar that it wasn't a sale, it was a 99 year lease and they'd get Alaska back in 1967. The copies of the agreement in Moscow say lease and the copies of the agreement in Washington D.C. say sale.

I guess we had better lawyers, or bigger guns huh?