: Want a new car, stay with caddy or not?

gust_1980
05-10-04, 01:44 AM
ive had 2 caddies and loved em. my current, 94 sls, is giving me some problems and with gas (i use premium) its getting rediculous. i am still very much considering caddy; sts or etc in white diamond. but, ive been looking at some other cars, particularly 300m's. i like the ext looks and the int for the most part. im assuming it'll be better gas mileage with the 3.5 v6 and im hoping that if anything goes wrong it wont cost an arm and a leg, let alone be a humongous headache to figure out. soooooo, im looking for some arguements/advice on the subject from one caddy lover to another. i need some rational pro's and con's.

being a caddy lover by heart, i feel so dirty goin to other dealerships :p

Ralph
05-10-04, 01:56 AM
I agree, I love the new 300c! It was an instant attraction, unlike the CTS which is still growing on me. :hide:

I would just bare and grin it when it comes to gas prices. They will apparently be staying through this summer without letup. Don't panic and sell the beautiful Caddy you have. When there is an overabundance of them on dealer lots, it makes ALL Caddies depreciate more because dealers have to lower the price just to get rid of them! Just my little theory on depreciation there, LOL. Therefore I would keep you nice '94, because who wants payments?? Unless you are rich and can pay it off right away. I don't think you would save that much fuel with the Chrysler.

p.s. If you are in the States, please don't complain about gas prices because we are paying a record 98.9 cents per litre!! :rant2: Still more than you, and your economy is in much better shape. And yes, that's for premium which I have to use!! ;)

gust_1980
05-10-04, 02:18 AM
when i say new, i mean new to me. ive been looking at 99 m's at possibly up to 98 sts/etc's. i think if i can get away with a good deal on a 98sts it will be a better value, but finding one cheap is the hard part. im thinking (hoping) around 10/12 k for one, but maybe im being too optimistic.

Ralph
05-10-04, 02:42 AM
when i say new, i mean new to me. ive been looking at 99 m's at possibly up to 98 sts/etc's. i think if i can get away with a good deal on a 98sts it will be a better value, but finding one cheap is the hard part. im thinking (hoping) around 10/12 k for one, but maybe im being too optimistic.

Oh, ok. I like those late '90's 300 M's or even the Concorde, as it's practically the same car. Actually the one gripe I've heard people mention on those Chryslers is that they they are getting terrible gas mileage, when in fact they aren't. You see, the gas tank is only around 11 to 13 or so gallons in size, so it has to be filled more. The ones I testdrove a few years ago were absolutely silent, powerful and smooth. However, I'm not sure of the quality of a few years back on those 300's. I would still argue that even a 2 year old Caddy was better quality than a new Chrysler four years ago!

Randy_W
05-10-04, 07:54 AM
My close friend is a car dealer, he bought a '99 300M for his wife. His complaint, and her's for that matter was perception of poor quality. It had some little things go wrong, but it just didn't feel right. Not slick like GM cars. She sold it and bought an '02 Bravada.:)

airbalancer
05-10-04, 07:57 AM
You will have to look at a 2000 STS to get regular gas.
I do not see many older Chryslers around here, but this GM country
I was wowwed by the inside of a Chryler

RBraczyk
05-10-04, 08:08 AM
p.s. If you are in the States, please don't complain about gas prices because we are paying a record 98.9 cents per litre!! :rant2: Still more than you, and your economy is in much better shape. And yes, that's for premium which I have to use!! ;)
Isn't that in canadien ralph? :shhh: :p

Ralph
05-10-04, 02:36 PM
Isn't that in canadien ralph? :shhh: :p

Well ya, but to us a dollar is still 100 cents!

I hear what you are saying though, and if we consider that 1 U.S. gallon =3.78 litres:
it works out to $3.74 per gallon.
Take away the current exchange (roughly 95 cents) and the U.S. price works out to $2.79 per U.S. Gallon. (what we are paying) How much are you guys?

gust_1980
05-10-04, 02:36 PM
thanks guys. im still weighing out my options as of now and how much i can afford. is it possible to get a decent 98 sts around 10k$?

CoupeDevilleRob
05-10-04, 04:44 PM
I hear what you are saying though, and if we consider that 1 U.S. gallon =3.78 litres:
it works out to $3.74 per gallon.
Take away the current exchange (roughly 95 cents) and the U.S. price works out to $2.79 per U.S. Gallon. (what we are paying) How much are you guys?
I just paid $2.23 for premium in New York and it's still going up. We'll match you guys in no time!

BeelzeBob
05-10-04, 04:46 PM
Yes, it's possible but you'll probably be looking at something with slightly high mileage.. I'd say around $13k is more accurate for a 98...

And as far as gas prices are concerned - I paid $2.09 for REGULAR yesterday...

tru504187211
05-10-04, 05:14 PM
Here's to help everybody out...

http://www.qconline.com/archives/qco/sections.cgi?biz!id!190484

gust_1980
05-11-04, 02:29 AM
that newspaper is close to my hometown

Jesda
05-12-04, 11:05 PM
The 300M is a sweet ride, and the 3.5 is a nice, reliable engine. There arent any majors issues with it at all. But its a slight step down from Cadillac in terms of ride, performance, fit and finish, and interior quality.