: My experience with a Hybrid

aamusls06
01-03-08, 03:01 AM
Well, I work for the United States Forest Service, and my district is experimenting with this new hybrid Ford Escape. I believe that I am the only person in my office that hates this thing.

It's like driving a golf cart, and it doesn't have any power at all.(I know it's a Ford Escape...lol) I was driving it down the interstate in St. Louis last summer and it runs at an insane amount of rpms just doing 75mph on the motor. Supposedly it has a different type of tranny. I don't really see how that saves gas though.

Secondly, when the motor shuts down things like the A/C are useless. I just don't like it. Just thought I'd rant about it. Maybe other hybrids don't give these characteristics, but that one sure did.

EcSTSatic
01-03-08, 08:31 AM
One of the guys at work has a hybrid Camry and a Prius. He was boasting about 40 mpg in the Prius the other day. Another person spoke up and said she gets 34mpg in her gas driven Honda Accord. Hybrids just aren't worth the premium prices, the cost of ownership is too high.

malcolm
01-03-08, 09:01 AM
Couple problems, it's nice to care about carbon foot prints but what are we going to do with all those batteries. Also I hear the rescue people hate them because if they cut into a cable with the jaws it's quite a light show.

c5 rv
01-03-08, 11:59 AM
The last cost-benefit analysis I saw calculated that gas would have to cost $6 / gallon for the added cost of a Prius to pay for itself over a normal vehicle lifetime.

OTOH, the Prius drivers blasting down I-96 at 85 MPH (obviously saving lots of gas) make me laugh.

Cadillacboy
01-03-08, 12:56 PM
I wanna become back in the 'lades again maybe '09 hybrid model help me out lol .Still, when something goes wrong it can be costly to repair it

RunningOnEMT
01-03-08, 01:01 PM
Couple problems, it's nice to care about carbon foot prints but what are we going to do with all those batteries. Also I hear the rescue people hate them because if they cut into a cable with the jaws it's quite a light show.

i speak from experience... it sucks

and recently its gotten worse

it used to be that all high voltage (50 Volts DC and higher) were in red or bright orange conduit. some genius in the safety division at the big 3 decided it was ok to start packaging all of that in regular black or grey conduit with labels every couple of feet

you're not going to look for labels when you're holding a hydraulic cutter in your hand and you're told to pop the roof off the car...

aamusls06
01-03-08, 01:13 PM

Even in all of our safety training with the Forest Service they sent out a bulletin about that a few year back they are prone to blow someone sky high. I just don't like them.