: Getting hit on the head lessons

Astronomer
05-20-03, 04:14 PM
Where can we go for a good argument? Some of us need sensitivity training and others just need a good kick in the arse. How do we know who is in which category? You got it folks...the art of argumentation.....been going on for centuries all over the world. Ever since humans learned to speak, they began arguing over everything from who is the best looking cave woman to who can carve a better wheel out of stone. We better get used to it because history says it will not go away too soon. And if it does.....I don't think that the resulting place is somewhere that any of us want to live. Remember the first thing a totalitarian government does is take away your right to speak your mind. Maybe they do this in a subtle way by making you think that you will pay a price for dissenting from the perceived popular position. Or maybe its even more obvious. My point is we need to learn how to argue with one another without feelings getting so hurt that anger is generated and then from that who knows what? It does take time, but maybe, just maybe we can learn that most people need to argue about everything before they can learn anything. Just my two cents.......don't hit me. :burn:

elwesso
05-20-03, 06:10 PM
You know, I couldnt agree any more. And i think some of us moderators :halo: need to tone it down. 3 months ago, it was mainly just us conversing back and forth, and we all knew we were kidding at all times. But now there are many new members, and we should do our best to not say things that would offend people who dont know we are kidding.

We've had a lot of younger people here, and most of them tend to take things the wrong way.

REMEMBER, THIS IS JUST THE INTERNET!

Ralph
05-22-03, 03:51 AM
The only way there will be peace on earth is if there is only 1 person left. PS, I'd better get rid of my pic or some of you will track me down...LOL. Maybe to eliminate wars, we should put the women in charge...............................then again, NOT! Argueing is just another form of communication after all. You have to remember not to take things too seriously from others, like what they call you, or what they say, or do. It is just their form of communication and some people think they have to be more "harsh" getting a message across. Many times I offend people when I had no intention of doing so, then I later realize it was stupid. But when people get to know you they will learn that you did not mean to offend. Thank you and now you will be billed 200.00!

Katshot
05-22-03, 09:00 AM
Communication is an ART. To be able to communicate ones feelings and ideas to others without misconception is rare.

Besides, there are so many IDIOTS out there that lack any degree of common sense that there will ALWAYS be disagreements between them and the rest of us ;)

Elvis
05-22-03, 11:10 AM
For some people, the only reason to visit a forum is to argue. They're not in it to learn anything, they just like to spar.

But remember, it takes two for an argument to exist.

So, if we ever get someone on this forum who obviously just comes in here to pick fights: DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Katshot
05-22-03, 11:42 AM
You're right.
That kind of thing DOES happen on these forums. And unfortunately I must admit, I have been guilty of posting comments I KNEW would only enflame others on the forum. Not so much here as on the Impala SS forum though.
In THOSE cases, I think the MAIN reason I did it from time to time was just to make people that I thought were ASS%#&ES, look like ASS%#&ES. Usually it works and can even be a little fun. Sometimes it even gets a point across but you're right that overall it's not a "positive" thing and really shouldn't be done by a moderator.
I'm HUMAN, so SHOOT me!!

The BIG problem here still remains to be that there is a very "diverse" culture here. Cadillac has managed to appeal to a wide group of people especially in the last few years, and the older "traditional" Cadillac guys seriously CLASH with the new younger crowd, especially the Escalade and lowered cruiser guys.
I gotta believe that arguments will continue to pop up here, especially considering the widely diverse backgrounds, values, and educational levels that these two groups will continue to bring to this forum.

Elvis
05-22-03, 11:47 AM
But Kat, I don't LIKE the "bling bling." :(

BeelzeBob
05-22-03, 12:47 PM
Don't feed the trolls. Good idea.. While arguing is certainly a part of life - and I'm really good at it - and actually, I love it - I don't want it to be the main attraction here.

You really never win an argument. That's why I think it's stupid. When you "win", you usually hurt the other person's pride. That's not winning because now you've lost their respect. Isn't that the person you were trying to prove something to? Well, now they don't like you - and they probably STILL feel that their argument is right...

If I think Camaro's are faster than Mustang's - and you work your ass off trying to prove to me that the opposite is true - what's that going to do in the end? It's going to cause resentment. I'm still going to believe that Camaro's are faster because that's my opinion - my version of the facts.

The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it. Show respect for the other person's opinions.

Some people thrive on arguments. It gives them a sour disposition and creates a depressing atmosphere around them. I, for one, do not want a depressing atmosphere...

How about you?

HotRodSaint
05-22-03, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
How about you?

I think you're wrong, and I'll tell you why...:banana:

HotRodSaint
05-22-03, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Katshot
I gotta believe that arguments will continue to pop up here, especially considering the widely diverse backgrounds, values, and educational levels that these two groups will continue to bring to this forum.

You're right. But as moderators, we need to do our best to remain nuetral and 'moderate' the forum, not add fuel to the debates.

Unless it's about manual vs auto transmisions! j/k

I see you contributing to this site more than just stirring it up. Keep up the good work.

Katshot
05-22-03, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately, I think that PRIDE is the very reason why arguments go on so long. Even when people are presented with verifiable facts, they refuse to stop and think. They would rather just plow on with what they "believe". Other times, it's just "common sense" that should lead them to a specific conclusion and that's when the "yeah but" comes out, or the discussion gets sent off on a tangent in an effort to prove their point.
Rational, mature people have FAR FEWER heated discussions or arguments than you typically see here, but that does tend to be typical of most automotive sites. Passion and prejudice always seem to outweight education and common sense.

Brett
05-22-03, 02:14 PM
Yeah, But :)

kcnewell
05-22-03, 10:38 PM
Yeah but what? I'll kick all yer asses!:banana: I win!:rofl:

JerseyGirl
05-23-03, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
creates a depressing atmosphere around them. I, for one, do not want a depressing atmosphere...

How about you? [/B]

Nothing worse than a depressing atmosphere and I for one get very bored very quickly...so arguments are OK to an extent.;)

Ralph
05-24-03, 03:34 AM
Communication is an Art form, but arguing is still a FORM of communication.

elwesso
05-25-03, 01:17 AM
Like ive said, you can still have fun and a good time and not be argumentative. It is good to have a good discussion, but just mudslinging back and forth doesnt accomplish anything....

Ralph
05-28-03, 03:39 AM
It's OK, everybody is entitled to my opinion.

elwesso
05-28-03, 03:55 PM
Maybe up in Canadia.......... :D

Ralph
05-29-03, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by elwesso
Maybe up in Canadia.......... :D

Thats spelled CANADA as in stupid ass Canuck!! :D :mad: ;)

elwesso
05-29-03, 11:01 AM
No, you see, Canadians should come from Canadia, not canada...... :histeric:

ljklaiber
05-29-03, 03:20 PM
damn good thread!

elwesso
05-29-03, 11:34 PM
Very deep discussion :D

Ralph
05-30-03, 02:21 AM
Sorry, I'm not very stimulating, I got sidetracked looking at my shoe. What were we talkin' about again? Oh yeah, I GET IT NOW! LOL

Ralph
05-30-03, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by ljklaiber
damn good thread!

See you can learn about culture and all that cr** on this thread too!:D ;)

elwesso
05-30-03, 10:41 AM
Yes....