: N* & Mityvac Fluid Evacuator?

Henrik
05-10-04, 12:15 AM
I have been using a Mityvac Fluid Evacuator for some time when doing engine oil and filter changes on my MB 300E and it works just fine. Doing my second replacement of engine oil and filter on my 95 ETC, I tried to use my Mityvac. Since I was only able to remove about a quart or so I decided to do it the old fashioned way. Did anybody use a mityvac with success on an a N*? Thanks in advanc :confused: e.

Aurora By Olds
05-10-04, 12:40 AM
It makes sense that it would not work on the N* very well, assuming that it is one that works by extracting used oil out the dipstick. The N* has a rather curvy dipstick tube, and it is also possible you are binding on something else while trying to insert the suction tube.
And no, I would not use one even if it did work....for three reasons:
#1, you still ahve to get under the car with a catch pan to change the filter.
#2, it doesnt suck out all of the old oil, which means you still have to pull the plug.
#3, pulling the plug with a full pan of hot oil will take most of the sludge, sediment, debris, or whatever else might be in your oil with it, and you can inspect the magnet on the plug for any abnormal metal shavings. IMO, for what it's worth, I would stick with changing it the conventional way.

Henrik
05-10-04, 09:09 AM
Thanks Aurora, I will stick with pulling the oil pan plug for the reasons you stated. Let me share with you that on my old MB 300E I am able to extract MORE oil using the suction device than by just pulling the plug. Part of the reason is that on the Mercedes Engine the oil pan bolt is situated on the SIDE of the oil pan. This way leaves you with a quart or so of old engine oil in the pan after each oil change. I have tried to remove the oil plug after I used the Mityvac and not a single drop came out. So I'll continue to use the fluid evacuator on the MB and do it the proven way on the ETC. Not a big deal for me, I just wanted to have a second or third opinion. Thanks.

dloch
05-10-04, 11:03 AM
Let me add to what Aurora By Olds said about a N*. Having taken mine apart there is a baffle in the bottom of the oil pan that the oil pump suction screen fit's into once the pan is on so you'd never get all the oil out of the pan with the Mityvac Fluid Evacuator by going down the dipstick tube.

All the baffling is there to reduce windage power loss I would think since the engineers went to great efforts in this area. The oil drain back holes from the heads returns the oil through passages cored in the block down to oil pan to name one. Another is the coring or hole at the top of the mains in the block, Bbob told me they were put there for windage reduction as well, which makes sense when you think about it. Pistons moving up and and the counterweights moving air around in a confined area like between to main bulkheads. These engines are a thing of beauty inside.