: Cat back or Full meal deal?

keithsm2
12-30-07, 11:02 PM
Im on the fence on whether or not to mess with headers.....I really want them...but dont want to introduce problems or relieability or CEL or crap like that....

I am looking at the B*B system...

CTSV_Rob
12-30-07, 11:46 PM
I am B&B all the way from the heads to the back of the car and what a sweet setup.

Resonator with the High flow cats, power and sounds sweet.

heavymetals
12-30-07, 11:59 PM
Ditto.

With a maggie it works great.

trukk
12-31-07, 11:52 AM
If I had it to do over again, I would have purchased headers & High flow cats, and then had an exhaust shop, weld the cats to the OEM exhaust. This would leaev only one exaust soupling, just like stock (v.s. the 4 or so that catbacks have. Exhasut leaks suck.) Also, the OEM exhaust is 2.5" Stainless, and flows pretty well. The Headers and Cats will make is sound great, too.

I'd then spend that 1k that you had earmarked for the catback, on a few intake items (lpe cai, ported TB, new intake tube), and then get a good dyno tune. Get the tuner to turn off your rear 02's, and you won't get any CEL issues.

This should net you in the neighborhood of 40 rwhp.

My $0.02,

-Chris

rand49er
12-31-07, 12:53 PM
A couple of guys have had issues with Kooks lately ... granted. But, two years ago, guys with B&B headers (granted: a previous design) were melting the cats causing major problems. B&B redesigned their LT's and stepped up and, I believe, did right by everyone.

Got no problems with Kooks here. Guys who've had issues hopefully are being likewise taken care of by George right now. He'd definitely be remiss if he didn't "do right."

My $0.02: Both are quality systems. It comes down to whether you need/want to be on the quiet side (Kooks/hi-flo cats/Corsa) or on the bold side (B&B LT's/hi-flo cats/3" B&B). But, then, my $0.02 is only worth a penny. :D

CTSV_Rob
12-31-07, 01:07 PM
It comes down to whether you need/want to be on the quiet side (Kooks/hi-flo cats/Corsa) or on the bold side (B&B LT's/hi-flo cats/3" B&B). But, then, my $0.02 is only worth a penny. :D
Which one is louder?

I have the B&B setup and I'm told it's more civilized then the Corsa setup. Nice deep tone and not too loud but I do have the resonator. Your example may be the B&B with the X-pipe (Very loud and almost got me into trouble but it sounded sweet).

Kooks vs B&B will continue long after I'm gone for sure but I have seen both and the B&B's were of higher quality.

If I were to buy another set of Kooks headers I would definitely talk with George. I may need to go that route because of the 1 7/8 primaries vs the 1 3/4 that B&B offers.

rand49er
12-31-07, 03:17 PM
Which one is louder?

I have the B&B setup and I'm told it's more civilized then the Corsa setup. Nice deep tone and not too loud but I do have the resonator. Your example may be the B&B with the X-pipe (Very loud and almost got me into trouble but it sounded sweet). ...I believe it was lasstss that put out a thread a couple years back that ranked the available exhaust systems in terms of sound level on a subjective basis ... not sure whether that was at idle, cruise, or WOT ... I think mainly idle.

Obviously the stock system was the quietest, then came Corsa, then Magnaflow/Zoomers/Borla, finally B&B (resonator or x-pipe ... I don't recall).

From my experience (which is limited to the Corsa), with the stock exh mans and cats, the Corsa barely made a difference at idle and cruising. WOT was a very different story, though. With the headers, hi-flo cats, and Corsa, idle is rumbly and throaty not to mention just plain nice while boppin' around town. And, WOT is absolutely deafening! How do I know? I stood behind the car when I had it dynoed prior to my maggie install last June ... had to cover my ears with both hands ... it was LOUD! As heavy says, he sets off car alarms with his setup ... my setup at WOT can't be far behind! :cool:

Twitch
12-31-07, 04:06 PM
If I had it to do over again, I would have purchased headers & High flow cats, and then had an exhaust shop, weld the cats to the OEM exhaust. This would leaev only one exaust soupling, just like stock (v.s. the 4 or so that catbacks have. Exhasut leaks suck.) Also, the OEM exhaust is 2.5" Stainless, and flows pretty well. The Headers and Cats will make is sound great, too.

I'd then spend that 1k that you had earmarked for the catback, on a few intake items (lpe cai, ported TB, new intake tube), and then get a good dyno tune. Get the tuner to turn off your rear 02's, and you won't get any CEL issues.

This should net you in the neighborhood of 40 rwhp.

My $0.02,

-Chris

If they disconnect the rear O2 sensors, can it still pass emission tests? I think its pretty strict in NY.

heavymetals
12-31-07, 04:17 PM
"As heavy says, he sets off car alarms with his setup "

I put the resonator and the cats on.

Stopped twice and ticketed once.:annoyed:

IT WAS FUN WHILE IT LASTED :cloud9:

CTSV_Rob
12-31-07, 10:17 PM
With the Resonator it's pretty quiet, what do you think Lynden?

Don't know about Loud at WOT but oooooooh does it sound sweet. Need a Cam though.

heavymetals
01-01-08, 12:20 AM
With the maggie it sounded like a racecar. :highfive:

I lost about 20 hp putting the cats and resonator on.

Sounds & smells much more civil though.

At WOT still makes big sound.

CTSV_Rob
01-01-08, 12:33 AM
I kind of thought mine was the same but I'm so used to it I hardly notice anymore. Still makes me giggle like a school girl when I open her up.

Not as quiet as stock at idle but very close.

trukk
01-02-08, 10:58 AM
I believe it was lasstss that put out a thread a couple years back that ranked the available exhaust systems in terms of sound level on a subjective basis ... not sure whether that was at idle, cruise, or WOT ... I think mainly idle.

Obviously the stock system was the quietest, then came Corsa, then Magnaflow/Zoomers/Borla, finally B&B (resonator or x-pipe ... I don't recall).

From my experience (which is limited to the Corsa), with the stock exh mans and cats, the Corsa barely made a difference at idle and cruising. WOT was a very different story, though. With the headers, hi-flo cats, and Corsa, idle is rumbly and throaty not to mention just plain nice while boppin' around town. And, WOT is absolutely deafening! How do I know? I stood behind the car when I had it dynoed prior to my maggie install last June ... had to cover my ears with both hands ... it was LOUD! As heavy says, he sets off car alarms with his setup ... my setup at WOT can't be far behind! :cool:

That was me homie.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/100916-how-loud-billy-boat-system-compared.html#post1006121

If they disconnect the rear O2 sensors, can it still pass emission tests? I think its pretty strict in NY.

It totally depends on how they do the test, each state is different. MD is a joke, they just plug into the OBDII port, and make suer there are no emmisions related codes stored, and the CEL isn't on. I just got mine emissioned in August. Roll in sounding like ' blubbb...blubbb...bluuubbb', guy plugs in the scanner, askes for payment, out you roll. To my knowledge there are no states that check to see if you have disabled the rear 02's via the PCM.

I'm not sure how NY does it. Some states will require a visual test in addtion to the OBDII test, to make sure you have CATS's (usually in the their stock location, and sometimes (cali) that you don't have headers). Some states also make you pass a sniffer test.

-Chris