: Need a VIN to a STS with the Z(W) option, I have the option but I don't like the Euro

Jan Olsson
12-30-07, 08:01 PM
2002 STS Northstar 4.6L V8 (LD8/L37)

Hello everyone!

I have a slight problem. Or at least my -02 STS has
The thing is that I have the W option (Z option on the older ones) but since it is a STS sold for the European market I have a delay for about 2 seconds until shifting into 2:nd from 4:th when accelerating hard. This is due to an idiot law here which is meant to keep down noise when passing other cars. I suppose it is not to scare some old farts doing 40 mph on a 55 road to death when passing them doing a WOT..

The test procedure works as follows: A car must have WOT and (as I recall) 3: rd or 4: th gear on a 5 gear manual doing x mph. The noise level is measured at two points in a distance of y yards from each other and the total sound level must not exceed z dB.
To achieve this the programmers have made a delay so when I floor it the tranny shifts into 3: rd (waiting waiting) and then it shifts into 2: nd.

Imagine this on a 2-lane road with lots of bends and small opportunities to pass by. Sure I can shift it into 2: nd manually but I believe that an automatic transmission should be automatic, that’s the thing I kind of like about them
So my question is if someone here would be so kind to share his/hers VIN with me? I know a guy who's willing to reprogram the computer and all he needs is a VIN for an American STS with the W (Z) -option.

Does anyone know if it is possible only to upgrade the PCM-chip and not the rest. As I recall it is NOT recommended to change any options in the newer STS:s. It works fine in the older ones but the newer ones are more "tailor maide" right from the factory so changing any options could be a disaster..

CadillacSTS42005
12-30-07, 11:44 PM
talk to AJ
hes your ONLY hope

AJxtcman
12-31-07, 08:51 AM
2002 STS Northstar 4.6L V8 (LD8/L37)

Hello everyone!

I have a slight problem. Or at least my -02 STS has
The thing is that I have the W option (Z option on the older ones) but since it is a STS sold for the European market I have a delay for about 2 seconds until shifting into 2:nd from 4:th when accelerating hard. This is due to an idiot law here which is meant to keep down noise when passing other cars. I suppose it is not to scare some old farts doing 40 mph on a 55 road to death when passing them doing a WOT..

The test procedure works as follows: A car must have WOT and (as I recall) 3: rd or 4: th gear on a 5 gear manual doing x mph. The noise level is measured at two points in a distance of y yards from each other and the total sound level must not exceed z dB.
To achieve this the programmers have made a delay so when I floor it the tranny shifts into 3: rd (waiting waiting) and then it shifts into 2: nd.

Imagine this on a 2-lane road with lots of bends and small opportunities to pass by. Sure I can shift it into 2: nd manually but I believe that an automatic transmission should be automatic, that’s the thing I kind of like about them
So my question is if someone here would be so kind to share his/hers VIN with me? I know a guy who's willing to reprogram the computer and all he needs is a VIN for an American STS with the W (Z) -option.

Does anyone know if it is possible only to upgrade the PCM-chip and not the rest. As I recall it is NOT recommended to change any options in the newer STS:s. It works fine in the older ones but the newer ones are more "tailor maide" right from the factory so changing any options could be a disaster..

PM me your VIN
I want to look at the Noise control RPO option and your PCM Calibration that you currently have. I have a program to get the funky shift out of it. :hmm:

Jan Olsson
01-01-08, 08:17 AM
PM me your VIN
I want to look at the Noise control RPO option and your PCM Calibration that you currently have. I have a program to get the funky shift out of it. :hmm:

Hi again!
I tried to send you a PM but it seems to be a board restriction not allowing me to send any PM until I've maid 20 messages on this board. Seems like it's time for me to start wrighting... :headcase:
Perhaps it's possible for you to send me a PM for me to reply to?

CadillacSTS42005
01-01-08, 12:54 PM
even if he pms you
you cannot pm back

become a supporting member and you can send pms right now

AJxtcman
01-01-08, 05:28 PM
K29 Rpo :shhh:

CadillacSTS42005
01-01-08, 06:07 PM
lol
i dont like that smiley
it usually means AJs up to something...

dkozloski
01-01-08, 06:34 PM
That's better than lowering himself to something.

CadillacSTS42005
01-01-08, 06:38 PM
rofl
my gf lowered herself onto something not too long ago

Submariner409
01-01-08, 06:43 PM
...........probably that stiff egg nog.

AJxtcman
01-01-08, 07:55 PM
L37 EXPORT NOISE CONTROL CADILLAC ETC//STS
LD8 U.S. NOISE CONTROL SEVILLE/MEXICAN DEVILLE

Gm had a few calibrations listed with Noise Control up to 99. The air filter box on some are Noise Control also. In 00 they did away with it, but K29 still shows up. :hmm: K29 must mean Noise Control:rolleyes:

nigelb
01-01-08, 10:50 PM
i have a RPO of K29 on my '00 STS (UK right hand drive) it's listed in my SM as 'Module Powertrain Control', i always wondered what it meant.
my car does seem to take a few moments to change down into lower gears for overtaking but i just thought that all STS's did that.

axe
01-02-08, 12:43 AM
Mine is the same. It really kills the first 'S' in STS. If AJ could fix this and maybe also do some performance 'fixes' for the EU cars I'd be like... :rock:

Jan Olsson
01-02-08, 12:28 PM
Mine is the same. It really kills the first 'S' in STS. If AJ could fix this and maybe also do some performance 'fixes' for the EU cars I'd be like... :rock:

Believe me, my -93 STS I had didn't have the "noice control". If I hit the pedal it shifted from 4:th to 2:nd almost instantly and left all those crappy cars like Volvos, Saabs and Audis back in the dust where they belong... Now I have to manually shift it to 2:nd. Ok the -93 was like a half second slower 0-60 mph but the lack of delay actually did it faster when passing other cars.

Not really much to do to improve the performance on the Northstar since it's naturally aspirated with all the goodies right from the factory. The only thing that slows these cars down are the stupid bureaucrats here in Europe. But the only car (except from 911 Porsches and such) that got past me last year was a Jaguar XKR (If I recall this right, whatever car it was I was disappointed until I got home and checked the performance on www.edmunds.com) with almost 370 hp. Oh yes he passed me but he had to work for it anyway :cool:

One again many thanks to you AJxtcman. I'm going to try tomorrow!

Jan Olsson
01-03-08, 07:37 PM
It worked like a charm! Today I had the crappy shifts removed and it feels like a completely different car. Just like my -93 with the instant shift that I've missed so much.
The guy who upgraded my computer has his garage 190 miles away but it was really worth it. Did it for free too :cool2: (runs his own shop and is one of the few that I trust with cars in this country, call me crazy but I do all the work myself on all my cars because I don't trust mechanics in general especially not when it comes to newer GM-vehicles)

One again many thanks AJxtcman, I owe you one! :worship:

AJxtcman
01-03-08, 07:56 PM

It worked like a charm! Today I had the crappy shifts removed and it feels like a completely different car. Just like my -93 with the instant shift that I've missed so much.
The guy who upgraded my computer has his garage 190 miles away but it was really worth it. Did it for free too :cool2: (runs his own shop and is one of the few that I trust with cars in this country, call me crazy but I do all the work myself on all my cars because I don't trust mechanics in general especially not when it comes to newer GM-vehicles)

One again many thanks AJxtcman, I owe you one! :worship:

Maybe I can do the same thing for AXE
I would like to send him one of mine, but I found out about international fees the hard way:crying:

axe
01-04-08, 04:11 PM
Hey AJ,

Please check you mail. I think we could work something out.

Jan:
Härligt att det löste sej! :thumbsup: Finding trustworthy GM mechanics(no, not Saab ;)) over here is definitively not easy. I also try to do as much work as I can myself or leave it to a known local mechanic. Driving these cars reminds one that the extra trouble is easily worth it.