: 150K miles. Time for some repairs.

Boris
12-30-07, 06:31 PM
Hi gang.

My old (97) Cat just surpassed the 150K mile mark and out of the blue the fuel pump decided to quit.
So it went on a flatbed ride to my place of work (lots of space) for a quick repair but upon lifting the car up I found some other projects that will need to be repaired. None of them were a surprise as I know things were wrong, I just chose to ignore them.

First thing I noticed when I pushed the car into the shop was a nice oil stain on the ground where the car stood for a few days.
After a closer inspection it seams to be coming down the oil cooler lines from the top of the motor. Also noticed a few drops of coolant with the mix so it's time to tear down the oil cooler.
With the car on stands I fired it up and tried to look where the oil was coming from but instead noticed one of the oil covered exhaust manifold bolts bubbling up. Hmm, an exhaust leak on top of an oil and coolant one ?
Might have to take a closer look at the head gasket.
The fluids aren't mixing (yet) so it's possible that instead of just one issue I have a few in the same spot. I'll find out soon enough.
If it turns out that my oil cooler is the source of my oil leak than I will definitively be riding the "search" button here to find that info on the by-pass setup with an external cooler. Maybe I should do that anyway ?

Since I will be partially disassembling the motor I might as well replace the timing belt and tensioner that I got 2 years ago and never replaced. The one that's in there now has 90K miles on it and I was actually waiting for it to let go. Not the smartest thing with these motors but it could have made for some nice carnage.

I have to pull out the transmission and take it to a friends trany shop while I'm on the "repair" kick. Since I tow a trailer (my toys ride in style) and don't baby this thing at all the trany is showing signs of ware.
Third gear change shudders under the slightest load even without the trailer and the trany is suffering more and more from morning sickness. Takes way too long to get out of first and until she warms up has a tendency to slip.
Should have seen the trany oil that I recently changed. Can you say "burned" ?

Front sway bar bushings need to be replaced and the brakes are in need of new pads. Might even replace the rotors as I warped one slightly after driving through some flood waters a few years ago.

So, let's sum it up.
I purchased the car 2 years ago for a $1000 and after 2 years of neglect and abuse I will most likely spend about a grand in repairs. Not bad for an EVIL Caddilac Catera that has such a bad rap.
:cool2:

I'm getting down from my soap box now so sorry for the rant.

rinverso
01-03-08, 05:55 PM
Hi gang.

My old (97) Cat just surpassed the 150K mile mark and out of the blue the fuel pump decided to quit.
So it went on a flatbed ride to my place of work (lots of space) for a quick repair but upon lifting the car up I found some other projects that will need to be repaired. None of them were a surprise as I know things were wrong, I just chose to ignore them.

First thing I noticed when I pushed the car into the shop was a nice oil stain on the ground where the car stood for a few days.
After a closer inspection it seams to be coming down the oil cooler lines from the top of the motor. Also noticed a few drops of coolant with the mix so it's time to tear down the oil cooler.
With the car on stands I fired it up and tried to look where the oil was coming from but instead noticed one of the oil covered exhaust manifold bolts bubbling up. Hmm, an exhaust leak on top of an oil and coolant one ?
Might have to take a closer look at the head gasket.
The fluids aren't mixing (yet) so it's possible that instead of just one issue I have a few in the same spot. I'll find out soon enough.
If it turns out that my oil cooler is the source of my oil leak than I will definitively be riding the "search" button here to find that info on the by-pass setup with an external cooler. Maybe I should do that anyway ?

Since I will be partially disassembling the motor I might as well replace the timing belt and tensioner that I got 2 years ago and never replaced. The one that's in there now has 90K miles on it and I was actually waiting for it to let go. Not the smartest thing with these motors but it could have made for some nice carnage.

I have to pull out the transmission and take it to a friends trany shop while I'm on the "repair" kick. Since I tow a trailer (my toys ride in style) and don't baby this thing at all the trany is showing signs of ware.
Third gear change shudders under the slightest load even without the trailer and the trany is suffering more and more from morning sickness. Takes way too long to get out of first and until she warms up has a tendency to slip.
Should have seen the trany oil that I recently changed. Can you say "burned" ?

Front sway bar bushings need to be replaced and the brakes are in need of new pads. Might even replace the rotors as I warped one slightly after driving through some flood waters a few years ago.

So, let's sum it up.
I purchased the car 2 years ago for a $1000 and after 2 years of neglect and abuse I will most likely spend about a grand in repairs. Not bad for an EVIL Caddilac Catera that has such a bad rap.
:cool2:

I'm getting down from my soap box now so sorry for the rant.

thats awesome boris. for those of us who can't work on a sophicaticted german car by ourselves, anyone want to guess what it would cost to have a repair shop do the work you listed??
not being a wise guy, just realistic.
robert :confused: