: Whats the easy way to change the alternator on a Northstar? (99 Deville)

RENO99DEVILLE
12-30-07, 10:00 AM
Whats the easy way to change the alternator on a Northstar? (99 Deville):hmm:

I have looked into other treads and tried to look at what the other people were saying but they were for different models..
I have the 99 Deville and it looks like I have to get it from the top front, can somebody give me a step by step guideline and tell me what to look out for so I don't damage anything. Any pictures or diagrams would help to!!:highfive:

:worship:THANKS!!!:worship:

tateos
01-01-08, 01:12 AM
Nothing easy about it. In a '97 Eldo, I had to remove the torque struts, radiator and both fans, battery, and loosen the front motor mount and rock the engine back to gain enough clearance to remove it, and it does come out the top. Not a challenging job - just a lot of work.

CadillacSTS42005
01-01-08, 04:13 PM
where u located?

brmurph
01-03-08, 09:57 PM
I did it on my 98 and it was much easier then it looks. The alternator comes out of the bottom after you remove a little access plate. You will have to turn it just right to get it to come out, seems to me the pully had to be straight up for it to drop out. I think the whole job took me about 2 hours and I am slow.

Good luck.

tateos
01-04-08, 01:27 AM
These must be a little more room in the Deville than in an Eldo; The Cadillac chassis manual says take it out the bottom, but it applies to all FWD Cads, and I could niot get it out the bottom even after removing that plate and anything else I could take off

bbrewer5
01-04-08, 03:20 AM
Nothing easy about it. In a '97 Eldo, I had to remove the torque struts, radiator and both fans, battery, and loosen the front motor mount and rock the engine back to gain enough clearance to remove it, and it does come out the top. Not a challenging job - just a lot of work.

all that for an alternator??? mine just bit the dust tonight and i also have a 97 etc...sounded like my engine was eating nails for a few minutes then the noise got much more quiet and smooth, when it got quiet, the voltage dropped below 12v and the Battery No Charge message appeared. :( had to charge it with my friends car (who was following me home) a few times to make it home and its 13F out right now :|

anyone else have to remove all this stuff? seems like people with devilles say its not very hard and people with eldo's say it was a nightmare... what gives lol.

tateos
01-04-08, 01:49 PM
Believe me, I tried to drop it out the bottom and avoid removing all that stuff, but couldn't. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think so.

Mark C
01-04-08, 02:32 PM
I got mine out the bottom of a 97 STS. All I had to remove was the passenger side fan, and the little access plate on the radiator support (different than the plastic air sheild under the radiator) under the alternator. I just unbolted the top of the passenger fan disconnected the fan relay connector and pulled it out the top. The alternator does have to be rotated just the right way to get it to drop out the bottom, but it will come out vertically with the pully pointed up.

Now, if you have a water cooled alternator than that might be a different story.

RENO99DEVILLE
01-06-08, 01:41 PM
Well I did it. It is different then all other models, I had to remove the fans, rad, loosen and tilt the condenser forward then I was able to get it out. Thanks for all your help, if there are any meets in the Southern Cali area please let me know!

Mountie
01-09-08, 02:36 AM
Well I did it. It is different then all other models, I had to remove the fans, rad, loosen and tilt the condenser forward then I was able to get it out. Thanks for all your help, if there are any meets in the Southern Cali area please let me know!

Working on a North* is all about patience.

I wish there was more activity with us So Cal owners. Maybe meet at the Cars -n- Coffee in Irvine on Sundays? ( all the muscle cars meet at Ford near Costco)

RENO99DEVILLE
01-09-08, 12:13 PM
Working on a North* is all about patience.

I wish there was more activity with us So Cal owners. Maybe meet at the Cars -n- Coffee in Irvine on Sundays? ( all the muscle cars meet at Ford near Costco)

Maybe in Ontario near the Ontario Mills Mall because alot of car/bike clubs meet there!????:highfive: