: No Heat at Idle

fristim
12-29-07, 09:26 AM
Last night all of sudden I lost heat at idle. I get heat as soon I start to accelarate but no heat at idle. Any ideas off hand? 98 concours 205.000 miles

DevilleMN
12-29-07, 10:23 AM
Low on coolant and or air in cooling system. Hows is the running temp? Any codes?

Ranger
12-29-07, 05:34 PM
I'd suspect air in the system. Check the purge line.

fristim
12-29-07, 06:07 PM
running temp is around 196-201 average. I'll check the purge line though! coolant is full though.

Zorb750
12-29-07, 06:25 PM
Yes, the heater core has a part of it which is elevated with respect to other parallel coolant paths at the engine side, (it isn't forced or full flow), which can lead to vapor lock.

Ranger is probably right. Still, I bet your coolant is just a bit low as well, say a quart or so.

fristim
12-30-07, 01:56 PM
So I checked the purge line its all clear. I topped off the coolant and things seem better, however I notice a bit of a drop in the temp of the heated air when Im at idle as opposed to when I start to drive, normal maybe I've never noticed it or not normal? I've owned the car for 5 years and have never had this issue before!

Ranger
12-30-07, 04:30 PM
Have you checked the belt tensioner for slippage?

fristim
01-01-08, 01:42 PM
Indeed I did check the belt tensioner ranger, but I think my problem has shown itself. I have a leak in one of the hoses that come out of the reservior. Its the lowest hose not the one that goes to the heater core, and honestly I cant tell where the hell the hose connects to. Any ideas, I think maybe to the block, if so how the f*@# I'm suppose to get back there?

Submariner409
01-01-08, 05:39 PM
Very recently there was a thread about replacing a coolant hose which connected to the "back" of the block with a snap metal fitting. It's a quick connect thingy, with a pair of push fingers holding it into the block fitting. You pull the hose off the reservoir, rotate it up ^ as far as you can, and compress the fingers to pop it loose.

Sounds like a real bitch of a job. Some of the parts were shown in the www.rockauto.com site for the car model.

Ranger
01-01-08, 06:56 PM
Indeed I did check the belt tensioner ranger, but I think my problem has shown itself. I have a leak in one of the hoses that come out of the reservior. Its the lowest hose not the one that goes to the heater core, and honestly I cant tell where the hell the hose connects to. Any ideas, I think maybe to the block, if so how the f*@# I'm suppose to get back there?
No idea. Sorry.

fristim
01-09-08, 11:51 PM
Well I finally got around to taking a closer look at the coolant leak. When I took a closer look I noticed that the heater hose from the block to the heater core was leaking. Well luckily I didn't have the spring loaded clips I had the screw clamps. Pretty easy job I had to use regular heater hose because they didnt have any molded at the auto parts store. Much cheaper by the way! Now I went ahead and replaced both heater hoses at the same time. I noticed the one with the leak actually was partially blocked. The threading thats wooven into the hose had actually became dislogded from the inside of the hose and starting catching the coolant pellets and blocked a lot of the passage way of the hose. I've noticed that over the past 2 years my summer time idle temps have been running higher and higher. I used to never get above 222 then I started goiin up to 224, then 226 then 228 and sometimes 230. I'm almost certain this was the culprit. The day I fixed the car our temps were about 67 and with the air on the car never got above 203. Might be something to look into guys. Thanks agian for all the help!