: What's involved to drop the oil pan?

silas871
12-28-07, 11:44 PM
Oil pan gasket is leaking a little, and oil leaks really drive me crazy. I would also like to take a look at the guts anyway. Can this even be done with the engine in the car? What has to come out or be moved to drop the pan? Any input is appreciated, and i would especially like to hear from anyone who has done this before. 2000 sls btw.

Zorb750
12-29-07, 04:43 AM
Oil pan CAN be done in the car. Be sure it's not the mid seal though, because that can't. Some people have had moderate to good luck with the crankcase midline seal by draining the oil, cleaning the side around the leak really well (Brake cleaner would be good for that), and then using RTV to plug the leak from the outside, using a tool to push it into the midline crack (don't stick the tool in there, it would do more damage!), then neatly finishing the outside, leaving not enough to become a problem or pull the "plug" out.

I haven't personally done this, a few have on here.

madmathew
12-29-07, 03:19 PM
Looks like the best way would be to use an engine support bar(goes across the strut towers) and then drop the cradle down to get it out of the way.

Submariner409
12-29-07, 03:50 PM
You're not going to be able to "see" anything in there. The oil pan bolts to the lower block half, which comprises a massive casting holding oil passages, a crank scraper/windage tray, the 4-bolt main lower bearings (these engines have no separate main bearing caps - it's all 1 piece), and the oil pump pickup tube. The windage tray covers everything under the crank, so all you'll see will be a curved/perforated plate.

You can probably drop the pan with the engine loose and floppy, with little room to work. If you intend to do a good job, you're in the complete removal realm. Drop the engine/cradle out the bottom, lift the front end, push the body out of the way. Long job, some special tools.

Don't double-post threads on the same subject.......please !

Zorb750
12-29-07, 04:28 PM
Well, as I was saying, you need to remember that you can have a leak at either the oil pan or the crankcase midline seal. The oil pan can be removed with the engine in the car, the lower casting cannot without dropping the transmission and cradle, using an engine support to retain the motor. It's really not a smart way to fix the mid seal though, because it's a lot harder to do that way, as the additional work to remove the engine is marginal from this point.

ewill3rd
12-29-07, 07:20 PM
The exhaust crossover goes underneath the oil pan, it is very difficult to work around it. The only way to remove it is to remove the transmission or engine. I have heard stories of people trying it in the car but the only way I ever did it was to remove the transmission.
You can spray it off every oil change with a can of brake clean and just pretend. ;)

clarkz71
12-30-07, 10:33 AM
I agree with ewill3rd, unless it's dripping, let it ride.

codewize
12-30-07, 10:46 AM
These 2 oil pan threads need to be combined.