: Gray exhaust smoke - '96 SLS

The_Raven
05-08-04, 08:07 PM
Howyadoin,

The last 2 days I've been having a problem where I'll get a good-sized cloud of dark gray smoke when I accelerate from a stop after sitting for a minute or so. It started yesterday morning, did it at each stoplight on my morning commute (and there's a lot of 'em :) ). It did it again when I was driving to lunch. I drove the car to my mechanic's house, and wouldn't you know it, it didn't do it then! I noticed it again today. The smoke appears to come from the exhaust.

No evidence of fluid leaks, no problems with idle, throttle response or power output, although I haven't really floored it. Coolant temps are normal. No funny noises, no transmission issues, SES light is not on, no codes other than a couple of history codes from a VATS misread.

I drive pretty aggressively most of the time, trying to keep carbon buildup at bay, donchaknow :)... She burns about a quart of oil (Valvoline MaxLife) per 1000 miles.

I'm bringing it to the garage Monday, any thoughts on what to check? Cat converter? O2 sensors? FPR? Would the smoke indicate running rich? I would think I'd get a code on any of those, no? I'll check the plugs for oil fouling and take a better look under the car.

Thanks!!

-Rav

ljklaiber
05-08-04, 08:22 PM
Without the snow, it looks like my 95.

Check FPR by puling smallvac hose ......if fuel leaks ya got it. Mine did it at 125 miles and has been fine since. Nice Pic!