: Car runs hot but doesn't over heat

tpis15
12-26-07, 08:08 PM
I have a 95 Aurora that I bought about 3 months ago. When I got it the radiator had a small leak so I replaced it and flushed the system. The car runs a little warmer than it should. Driving around town and on rural backroads the car runs around 220. The highest it ever got was 229-230 according to my scan tool, that was sitting in traffic. On the highway at 70+ mph the car runs at 210-212. There are no leaks anywhere and the level is perfect. I checked the water pump belt and the tension is good. The system builds pressure and the hoses get hard like they should. Both fans work. I put in a new thermostat which changed nothing. I also made sure the purge lines were clear (aurora has two). Just for the heck of it I drilled two small holes in the old thermostat and the car ran at 183-190 on the scanner but naturally it took longer to warm up. The car would still get up to 220 if it sat long enough but that is normal. I also noticed that the lower radiator hose never really got hot, just warm. This lead me to believe that the coolant temp sensor was bad so I changed that too but it made no difference. So now I'm thinking it's the water pump. Maybe the impeller is corroded? I think it's the original with 119k on it. Any other ideas? I am fairly confident that its not a head gasket. No bubbles in the tank, no coolant loss, no sudden spikes in temp. The faster I go the cooler the car will run, which seems to be the opposite of a northstar with a bad hg. Also, if I floor the car the temperature will go down then slowly rise back up. Anybody have any ideas?

Ranger
12-26-07, 09:07 PM
Your temperatures sound normal to me.

tpis15
12-26-07, 10:11 PM
My dads seville runs at 195-206 as long as your moving. My car wont run under 220 unless I drive 65 or higher and it takes some times at those speeds to come down. From what I have read on here I think my car is running about 10 degrees higher than it should.

Ranger
12-26-07, 10:24 PM
My '97 Deville had a digidash so I could watch it. It ran a consistent 206 (summer) and 213 (winter). I think I once saw it at 216 when below Zero.

dkozloski
12-27-07, 12:10 AM
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You ought to be getting good heat from the heater.

Tommy Deville
12-27-07, 08:47 PM
Sounds Aok 2 Me!

molotovman5000
12-28-07, 05:52 AM
if you have the A/C off those temps are normanl

Zorb750
12-29-07, 06:08 AM
Hate to be the only dissenting voice... I think the thermostat might be questionable.