: Installing UCC Shifter

keithsm2
12-26-07, 01:26 PM
Im attaching a pic of the stock shifter compared to the UCC shifter....Is it my imagination or is the UCC Longer?? Its the one on the left...

Maybe Im missing something .....38385

keithsm2
12-26-07, 06:06 PM
Well..I got it all in...and it works...

I dont really understand How this makes the shifting feel different...Seems like its just a different rod and bushings.....and really the rod doesnt look smaller... BUT....it DOES feel different.....Magic i guess.....

type911
12-26-07, 06:24 PM
So...What do you think? Is it worth the $400.00?

keithsm2
12-26-07, 06:42 PM
I DO like it....only got to drive it around the block as the weather is bad here today.....I still dont know WHY it works....

The Tony Show
12-26-07, 06:57 PM
It's a fulcrum- the pivot point is higher on the UUC than stock, thus requiring a shorter movement of the top to create an equal movement on the bottom. The length of the entire piece doesn't matter- it's the distance from the fulcrum to the bottom.

keithsm2
12-26-07, 07:02 PM
OK...That makes sense....but why does it "FEEL" different??

lasciVious
12-26-07, 07:22 PM
The length of the entire piece doesn't matter- .

Speak for yourself :D

Keith.... was it worth it? did it help reverse?

keithsm2
12-26-07, 07:35 PM
I think it is better and worth it...Not sure if it helped reverse...only used it briefly.....definetly get a good feel when you get into gear...( maybe its the bushings)

I did the whole install myself except for my son helping to tighten two bolts where the Rivets used to be.

Natedog
12-26-07, 08:36 PM
were you having issues with reverse grinding when putting it into gear? cause i have that now but all the other gears are perfect...

The Tony Show
12-26-07, 09:22 PM
OK...That makes sense....but why does it "FEEL" different??

Moving the fulcrum up also increases effort required to leverage the assembly.

lasciVious
12-26-07, 10:01 PM
were you having issues with reverse grinding when putting it into gear? cause i have that now but all the other gears are perfect...

Yes, it feel like it hits the top before it goes into reverse. Taking it in for overhaul Jan 2nd I let you know what they find. I would guess a sloppy bushing is to blame.

Twitch
12-27-07, 09:48 AM

Try putting it into sixth or fourth, then it should slide right into reverse. Its a common issue. Mine is a little tough, but does not grind.
Shifter is on my long list. Just not sure if I should get the whole thing or just the UUC bushings.

Natedog
12-27-07, 10:50 AM
Yes, it feel like it hits the top before it goes into reverse. Taking it in for overhaul Jan 2nd I let you know what they find. I would guess a sloppy bushing is to blame.

Yeah i had it in to Lindsay a few months ago for this exact issue,... all the gears seemed better aligned when i got it back but the R issue has resurfaced.. i'll probably get it back in sometime in January for them to look at it again but my car is under the knife for body work right now so i'm gonna need it back for at least a month before i can part ways with it for a few days again.... freakin V withdrawl :banghead:

lasciVious
12-27-07, 07:41 PM
I hope my dealer will do the UCC bushing. The owner has two V race cars in the service shop. Surely he feels my pain.

ewill3rd
12-28-07, 09:10 PM
As Tony pointed out, the distance from the center of the ball on the shifter shaft to the lower end is longer on the UUC. This lengthens your "lever" and reduces the amount you have to move the upper end to make it work. It is like lifting a load with a longer lever sort of.
The real change is in the bushings, it really tightens up the shifter because there isn't so much play.

As far as difficulty going into gears... I haven't had the privilege of taking one of those apart.
I know sometimes you have to shift it into a forward gear to slow down the main shaft to get the synchros to line up for reverse to engage.
I don't do much trans internal stuff, my portion of the shop is not set up for it.

rand49er
12-29-07, 05:48 PM
... Shifter is on my long list. ...Do it! :thepan:

Best mod I've done yet!

As Tony pointed out, the distance from the center of the ball on the shifter shaft to the lower end is longer on the UUC. This lengthens your "lever" and reduces the amount you have to move the upper end to make it work. It is like lifting a load with a longer lever sort of. ...Consequently, the effort increases proportionately ...

but it's worth it! :cloud9:

Twitch
12-29-07, 06:01 PM
[quote=rand49er;1344018]Do it! :thepan:

Best mod I've done yet!

Yeah, but there is sooo much stuff out there. In the spring, I'll at least do the bearings. I have a feeling they'll make the biggest impact. But I need to get rims and tires before it gets warm. Probably the GM accessory wheels.

CTSV_Rob
12-29-07, 06:07 PM
Consequently, the effort increases proportionately ...

but it's worth it! :cloud9:
Heavier Shift knob and the effort was reduced.

The UUC knob may look funny but it works well.

SuperV_Rob
12-29-07, 07:31 PM
Bill at Lindsay added my UUC shifter and I added the CAGS skip shift eliminator a couple of months ago, I went from actually hating to drive the car to not wanting to drive anything but the "V". These were without question the best dollars that I have ever spent modifying a car..... period!!!

Twitch
12-29-07, 10:32 PM
Bill at Lindsay added my UUC shifter and I added the CAGS skip shift eliminator a couple of months ago, I went from actually hating to drive the car to not wanting to drive anything but the "V". These were without question the best dollars that I have ever spent modifying a car..... period!!!

I must be really hard headed :banghead: cuz EVERYBODY says that, and I still dont have it. Has anybody changed only the bushings? I cant do anything till spring anyways, and I have a few things waiting to go on ( BMR pinion support, Hochkis swaybars, homemade intake tube,,,,Momo shift knob and BMR wheelhop kit will be ordered soon). Should make a for a fun weekend.

I love adding to my list of mods.:bouncy:

rand49er
12-30-07, 08:23 AM
I must be really hard headed :banghead: cuz EVERYBODY says that, and I still dont have it. Has anybody changed only the bushings? ...I did the shifter THEN the bushings. Shifter made the BIG difference. IMHO, bushings may have made it slightly smoother, but I'll tell ya the OEM bushings were looking mighty tired at around 25k (pretty sure that's when I did it) so they were gonna have to be changed anyway. See pic in post #5 for a comparison:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/81345-what-should-i-do-shifter-bushings.html