: Fuel Line Leak

blunted
12-26-07, 02:31 AM
My Eldorado decided to give me a x-mas present this year in the form of a pin hole leak in my fuel line... this is after last months 100K mile mark present of a broken window regulator. :ill: I had been smelling gas when idling and when parking.. though it was my rusting fuel filler tube but upon further inspection I noticed gas spraying from the fuel line that is to the side of the throttle body by the egr valve.

So i was wondering.. can I use some kind of sealer on this little hole to patch it for now?.. my mechanic is 1.5 hrs away so it needs to make the trip.

dkozloski
12-26-07, 03:10 AM
In an hour and a half this could turn into the disaster video on the 6:00PM news. Wear your fire suit and make sure your insurance is paid up. All joking aside this is already a disaster narrowly avoided. Don't tempt fate again.

Ranger
12-26-07, 01:28 PM
That line runs about 45 psi fuel pressure. Patching it is like playing Russian Roulette. I'm with Koz. Don't take chances.

blunted
12-27-07, 03:26 PM
So basically my only option is to flatbed it to a mechanic?..

Are they gonna be able to cut out and replace that section with the pinhole or will they have to run a whole new fuel line all the way back?..

I wonder how much this "present" is gonna cost me.:suspense:

Crown Vic Owner
12-27-07, 04:33 PM
replace the whole line

and because its a cadillac, you MIGHT miss your house payment this month

tateos
12-27-07, 05:19 PM
Is the leak coming from the fuel line before where it connects to the fuel rail under the beauty cover that connects to all the fuel injectors? That I haven't heard of.

If it is the fuel rail, then that was a safety recall covered by Cadillac - they replace the plastic fuel rail with a stainless one - no charge.

RM

blunted
12-27-07, 05:44 PM
Yep.. it's before. The line is the one with the big yellow FUEL sticker on it that is under the throttle body / near the EGR.

Flatbed is coming tomorrow morning.. the charges of the alone are over $100 already. I'm praying that Crown Vic isn't correct about the price of the line!!

Ranger
12-27-07, 05:50 PM
Tateos, His car is a '94 and thus is not covered by the recall.

The '93/'94 fuel rails are inside the manifold and so you could drive it to a mechanic (if the leak is small). If the leak is prior to the fuel rail and is external, you could try a patch if the distance to drive is short and you test it first to be sure it holds. Even then you are taking a chance. Just make sure the odds are in your favor if you do it.

I do not think there is a stainless steel rail for the '93/'94 nor do I think they can or will replace one section. most likely they will replace the entire rail.

Ranger
12-27-07, 06:00 PM
Based on what you just posted, it is not the fuel rail, but the fuel supply line I think.

tateos
12-27-07, 06:29 PM
Would this help?

http://www2.partstrain.com/v5/products.php?N=0&Ntt=CADILLAC+Eldorado+1994+fuel+line

blunted
12-28-07, 05:12 AM
Based on what you just posted, it is not the fuel rail, but the fuel supply line I think.

Correct.. it has to be the supply line (unless theres more than one line that comes in) . Part of me wants to put a dab of epoxy on it and see what happens.. the mechanic is about a 40 min drive which i'm afraid might be overkill to whatever patch I put on.

Tat.. thanks for the link. Gives some hope this might not cost an arm & leg.

tateos
01-02-08, 04:10 AM
blunted - an update please

EcSTSatic
01-02-08, 05:18 PM
So how did this play out?
I just read this thread for the first time. I was thinking that with a piece of rubber and a small hose clamp you might have been able to seal the leak long enough to get to a service center. It's something you could keep in your trunk for emergencies.

jeffrsmith
01-02-08, 05:52 PM
So how did this play out?
I just read this thread for the first time. I was thinking that with a piece of rubber and a small hose clamp you might have been able to seal the leak long enough to get to a service center. It's something you could keep in your trunk for emergencies.

I was thinking the same thing with the rubber and clamp or possibly using vulcanizing tape. I don't know that I would patch a gas leak - I would just figure out how to fix it myself.

blunted
01-02-08, 09:11 PM
UPDATE:

After much drama getting a flatbed (they sent the wrong truck..overcharging etc etc) I sent the car on its way to Daves Auto Repair in NJ. I found that place thanks to the recommendation posted by a fellow member -CadiMac52- (Thank You!..This is a great spot!!). Basically the part with the leak was cut out, a replaced by some new tube and a couple fittings. He also swapped out my broken window regulator as well. I was about to do what you guys said, and take a piece of injector tubing I found at the auto store and clamp it on top to get it there.. but everyone around me told me I was an ass for considering it so I just towed it.. better safe than sorry.

On the way back home I got an unsafe lane change ticket because of improper signs pointing to the friggin turnpike!!! I signaled and everything! Told the cop I got lost.. showed him how my GPS was acting like I was in the middle of the ocean and that the incorrect signs put me in that lane to begin with and he comes back with a ticket that brings along points (THANKS NEW JERSEY!) To make matters worse, 10 min later my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light comes on with a P039 code.:banghead::bomb:

After some research, seems like if i'm lucky this can be fixed with a new PROM chip. Maybe this will give me an excuse to buy that tuned PCM now.
Either way.. I think after 10K in fixing I gotta throw in the towel. I wanted to wait for the 2010 Camaro but it seems like I'll have to get the upcoming G8 instead. I cant justify spending more money in something that keeps kicking me in the nuts.