: Mounts and Shocks

97d'elegance
05-08-04, 02:18 PM
Went to the dealership this morning to have my oil changed. They let me know about a few items that need repair. Rear shock absorbers are leaking oil - replacement is $650. Motor mount is cracked and leaking - replacement is $525. (2) Transmission mounts are cracked - replacement is $716. Those prices include ALL motor and transmission mounts being replaced instead of just the leaking/cracked ones. He recommended this. I am a bit confused though. I thought all of the shocks were air controlled ... how could it be leaking oil? Also, do the mounts replacement cost seem reasonable? Should I trust it to another mechanic not affiliated with Cadillac? They didn't have the parts in stock and I also wanted to get some advice from here before I spend almost $2000 in repairs. Thanks for the input.

The_Raven
05-08-04, 07:33 PM
Howyadoin,

That's one hella expensive oil change, eh? Forget the rear shocks, how does a motor mount leak?!? I'd definitely get a second opinion before dropping that kind of cash. If it turns out to be a real problem, I'd do some investigating into independent shops to see if they have Cadillac experience. There wouldn't be any diagnostics involved here, so it shouldn't require a rocket scientist to do the job IMHO. The rear shocks can be replaced with Arnott passive units that are a great deal less expensive than the OEM units.

Just out of curiosity, did the mechanic have a 5-pound sledge in his hand when he gave you the diagnosis?

...just the cacklings of a corvid...

-Rav

zonie77
05-08-04, 07:42 PM
None of this HAS to be done by a dealer. It's all straightforward work. If you have an independent garage that you trust they can handle it if you want. You have a choice of the Caddy parts or aftermarket.
There are posts in the suspension section about other shocks. Check them out.

growe3
05-11-04, 10:55 PM
As far as I know all of the mounts are steel brackets and rubber isolators, nothing to "leak".

The shocks could be leaking, but not very common. Usually it is an internal leak past the seals.

I wonder if they just see oil spread around and are trying to con you into unnessary repairs.

I would get another shop to look it over.

-George

chaslchapman
04-04-06, 01:46 PM
None of this HAS to be done by a dealer. It's all straightforward work. If you have an independent garage that you trust they can handle it if you want. You have a choice of the Caddy parts or aftermarket.
There are posts in the suspension section about other shocks. Check them out.
If you use aftermarket suspension on a 94 Eldorado can you stop the "service ride control" message anyway?
Thank you,
chuck

AlBundy
04-05-06, 09:25 PM
I believe some of them have imputs that plugg into the sensors to prevent that trouble code.

Dadillac
04-05-06, 09:43 PM
Not sure about a '96, but the '98 - '04 mounts are filled with hydraulic oil. I replaced my front mount, and cut open the old one, to do some "research". The oil in there is black, and smells horrile. I didn't dare taste it.:alchi:

Don

Zorb750
04-08-06, 10:27 AM
My 1997 has oil filled motor mounts. I just replaced a torn one that was leaking.