: hypothetically speaking

Crown Vic Owner
12-24-07, 04:31 PM
Say that i was to find a way to kill the VSS sensor in the trans, that would eliminate the speed limiter, or cause the car to go into limp mode?

the reason why i ask, is couldnt the speed limiter hypothetically be removed in that case?

AJxtcman
12-24-07, 05:29 PM
Say that i was to find a way to kill the VSS sensor in the trans, that would eliminate the speed limiter, or cause the car to go into limp mode?

the reason why i ask, is couldnt the speed limiter hypothetically be removed in that case?

Try it.
BTW you may want to make sure you are the only car on the road.

urbanski
12-24-07, 06:17 PM
lol @ aj

Crown Vic Owner
12-24-07, 06:41 PM
It was a question, nothing more.

I know it works with a crown vic.

CadillacSTS42005
12-24-07, 07:08 PM
lol @ aj X2

Crown Vic Owner
12-24-07, 08:08 PM
it was a hypothetical question, jeeze

dkozloski
12-24-07, 08:56 PM
If you cut VSS the speedometer won't work either and at that point it makes no matter how fast you go. Why not get the car up to fuel cut and just close your eyes. You'll accomplish the same thing.

Crown Vic Owner
12-24-07, 09:07 PM
I know, its pointless, its just i got into a debate with someone over this and they said that the car would only go into 2nd gear max with a VSS failure.

Dont these cars use the ABS wheel speed sensors (if it even has them) as backups, take a avg of all 4 and throw it at the speedo?

Ranger
12-24-07, 09:12 PM
Dont these cars use the ABS wheel speed sensors (if it even has them) as backups, take a avg of all 4 and throw it at the speedo?

They DO have wheel speed sensors, but I don't believe they have anything to do with the speedometer.

Crown Vic Owner
12-24-07, 09:37 PM
They DO have wheel speed sensors, but I don't believe they have anything to do with the speedometer.

I am suprised the VSS even exsisted in these cars if ALL of them had ABS speed sensors for each wheel

Submariner409
12-24-07, 09:43 PM
:hide: Crown Vic......Do you have the faintest idea what you're talking about???? This thread borders on verbal masturbation.

Crown Vic Owner
12-24-07, 10:08 PM
Maybe its because im from the ford side of things

I know fords take the ABS speed sensors for each wheel, computes a avg and sends that to the speedo

dkozloski
12-24-07, 11:00 PM
I'd be concerned if I had an average in my speedo.

AJxtcman
12-24-07, 11:15 PM
Just unplug the VSS.
When I showed my Turd and got the trophy for best of class I broke a VSS wire. I drove the car 2.5 hrs both ways. No TCC so my mileage sucked. it would search for a gears at times off the RPM, TPS, ISS, Shift solenoids, TFP switch, and MASS. It may hold in 4th, but if I hit a small hil it may downshift and then not upshift. I would have to feather the throttle ot get it in 4th again. At times it would just go into neutral:hmm: Rough trip.

Crown Vic Owner
12-24-07, 11:19 PM
What does it do, revert to RPMs to shift and not speeds?

JimHare
12-28-07, 10:26 PM
I know fords take the ABS speed sensors for each wheel, computes a avg and sends that to the speedo

Hmmm..one would imagine that if the four wheels each returned different road speeds, you would have a stickier problem on your hands..Do Ford's use different diameter wheels?.. :)

I think I prefer the Caddy way - each wheel is going at the same speed. Makes for more smoother ridingness feeling.

Zorb750
12-29-07, 06:01 AM
VSS measures output shaft speed and that's why if you spin your tires the speedometer still climbs, even though your rear wheels are going slower.

If you disconnect the VSS, it will be depriving the car's computer of one of its inputs that it uses to determine shift points. Disconnecting it will limit the car to a second gear start, as it will cause the traction control to be disabled, and will most likely not go out of second at all. Some cars impose a rev limiter with the engine operating under road load conditions with no VSS signal.

Zorb750
12-29-07, 06:03 AM
Maybe its because im from the ford side of things

No they don't. I was working on my friend's (JCM1 on here) Grand Marquis today in fact, and the VSS is clearly visible.

Crown Vic Owner
12-29-07, 07:18 PM
No they don't. I was working on my friend's (JCM1 on here) Grand Marquis today in fact, and the VSS is clearly visible.

depends on what year

Is it a 03+?

If not, its located on the transmission output shaft

ewill3rd
12-29-07, 08:02 PM
The only GM car I know of that uses ABS data for VSS is Catera.
Killing the VSS to the PCM will set codes and throw the trans into limp mode most likely.
I couldn't tell you what Ford does about anything, haven't touched one (except to do a safety inspection) for Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars.

AMGoff
12-30-07, 04:08 PM
:hide: Crown Vic......Do you have the faintest idea what you're talking about???? This thread borders on verbal masturbation.

Jim - LOL! Were I to hypothetically :banghead: then I might end up with a headache... Were I to also hypothetically blow up every modular 4.6L I see, I might be filled with a great sense of satisfaction and joy. Were I to hypothetically not ask hypotheticals then I might not get hypothetically snippy by the not-so-hypothetical answers I'd hypothetically receive....