: looking for a reliable fun used car? suggestions

fpmesiIII
12-22-07, 06:43 PM
preferably under 5 grand. cant cost me an arm and leg in repairs. but is rewarding to drive.

chess
12-22-07, 06:58 PM
honda civic lol :) or toyota camry

AMGoff
12-22-07, 07:02 PM
Well... I know I at least need a little more criteria as to what you're looking for? An SUV? A convertible? Coupe... sedan.. hatch... wagon? You gotta give me something to work with here!

If you're looking for a general, all-around "beater" that's cheap to buy and cheap to fix then one of my top choices is always a 4.0L Jeep Cherokee - especially if you can find one with a 5sp... or possibly a Wrangler. If you're looking more towards just an all-around reliable car then any W-body would do the trick. If you're looking for a convertible, then despite what others may say, I'd wholeheartedly recommend a Chrysler Sebring w/ the 2.5 V6 - never a single ounce of trouble with ours except for normal wear and tear. Plus I still think they're great looking cars even after all these years, it's a design that has definitely aged well.

Anyway... do you have any idea about what exactly you're looking for?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-07, 11:30 PM
Fun to drive, under 5k and reliable.

I'd say anything with a 3800, but that'll only meet two of your criteria (not too fun to drive, unless you get into a GTP, but those are tough to find for under 5k), but maybe an older Prelude Si? They're fun to drive, reliable (albeit Japanese), and you can find one, with a good amount of miles, for around $5,000.

creeker
12-23-07, 12:15 AM
I've thought about getting a 80's buick regal,or olds. cutlass,or monte carlo,all in the 80 to 90 range. 2 door of course. probably get a real nice one for $5000.00.

Benzilla
12-23-07, 12:27 AM
I can vouch for the Cutlass'. Great cars, but not fast by any means. I have a '84 on it's second 3.8 litre buick V6, the original threw a rod at 120k. I hear that was a common problem. But other than that, I love it. Been in the family since new, Taken many a roadtrip in it, almost had it seized by the cops, grew up around it. And it still drives & looks virtually like a new car.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1460.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-23-07, 12:33 AM
The '80s G-Body's are nice and all, but do you think they'd qualify for "fun to drive"? I dunno, when I think "fun to drive", I picture a car that's fun to drive down a nice backroad, curvy and stretching to and fro.

Something like this:
http://www.takemytrip.com/colo/448_IMG_4439_adj1.jpg

Like I said earlier, if this is what you mean by "fun to drive", reliable and under 5k then a Prelude, MX-6, Talon (oh wait, you want reliable), maybe even a Contour SVT or an older SHO?

ryannel2003
12-23-07, 12:50 AM
I can vouch for the Cutlass'. Great cars, but not fast by any means. I have a '84 on it's second 3.8 litre buick V6, the original threw a rod at 120k. I hear that was a common problem. But other than that, I love it. Been in the family since new, Taken many a roadtrip in it, almost had it seized by the cops, grew up around it. And it still drives & looks virtually like a new car.

Oh my god, that reminds me of my grandfathers '84 Cutlass Supreme. His had the same rims, a V8, and was dark blue. The car was absolutely gorgeous... and had the most comfortable seats that I ever sat in. Then some drunk ******* t-boned him and totaled the car. After that, he got a light blue '87 with a V6 and he never liked it compared to the '84. Now he drives a beautiful '06 Impala SS. :thumbsup:

dkozloski
12-23-07, 12:53 AM
A Ford pickup.

creeker
12-23-07, 01:07 AM

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1460.jpg

Yeh,that's what I had in mind,nice clean looking car,I've had 2 cars before with 3.8's, a 90 olds touring sedan, and a 90 olds 98,I thought the engines performed quite well, they were sure reliable,the touring sedan had the super charged 3.8. Did the 80's cars I mentioned ever come with center consule
and leather upholstery?.

Jesda
12-23-07, 02:02 AM
You want a Mazda Miata.

c5 rv
12-23-07, 12:34 PM
You want a Mazda Miata.

My wife had a 92, and if you're confident in you manhood, they are plenty of fun to own and drive. As for winter use, we mounted a set of winter tires and wheels, bought a hardtop, put a bit of weight in the trunk, and had no problems. The first generation (90-98) are the best if you're looking for inexpensive fun.

Another 2-seat option that isn't quite as much fun due to FWD design, but more practical, is a 93-97 Civic Del Sol. It's quite roomy inside for two and the targa top stores on a rack inside the truck lid while still leaving a lot of trunk space. A friend of mine has a 93 and it is running well with about 175K miles on it. My son had a beautiful 95 I found, but wrecked it.

Some 4-5 passenger options are 93-97 Mazda 626, MX-6, and Ford Probes with a manual transmission. (Avoid the trouble-prone automatics.) They handle well, and perform OK with the V6. The 4-cyl units are probably more reliable, though.

I think another good looking car, though probably not as much fun, would be a supercharged 3.8 95-99 Buick Riviera.

Cadillacboy
12-23-07, 03:09 PM
Chevrolet w/ LT1

thebigjimsho
12-23-07, 04:07 PM
Go to the SHOForum and look in the classifieds and get the advice and opinions of the owners there. While they may have little bits to fix, a well kept model can go for as little as $2G and can be cheap to own. For $5G, you'd be able to buy the Taj Mahal(sp?) of SHOs. And they are a lot of fun.

fpmesiIII
12-23-07, 04:34 PM
Well... I know I at least need a little more criteria as to what you're looking for? An SUV? A convertible? Coupe... sedan.. hatch... wagon? You gotta give me something to work with here!

Anyway... do you have any idea about what exactly you're looking for?

sedan, that can handle snow. and has a manual transmission.

misfit6794
12-23-07, 08:17 PM
Your BEST bet hands down is a nissan maxima. You can get a 5-speed, its great in the snow, and has a shitload of power. THe vq engines are pretty much unstoppable, my friends 95 just turned 243000. They are quick, don't break, and handle extremely well for a front driver. You can also find a ton of them forsale especially with 5K to spend.

gothicaleigh
12-23-07, 08:30 PM
Fun? Reliable? Inexpensive?

You want the chariot of the gods.

http://www.8thdaycreations.com/images/bfc/chariotofthegods.jpg

:worship: The BMW e30.

5 speed manual and can be had in AWD (325ix).

fpmesiIII
12-23-07, 08:39 PM
^^^ I like the art work. I was thinking maybe an E46 3 series. but probably wont be able to find one in my price range.

77CDV
12-23-07, 09:07 PM
A Pontiac GXP sounds like it could fit the bill. Yes, they're a bit rare, but they're also not in high demand, so that should keep a lid on the price.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-23-07, 11:57 PM
You could get a nice down payment on a GXP with $5,000.

If you want a manual transmission equipped sedan that's fun to drive, plentiful, cheap to own and good in the snow...well then I've got one solution for you...Maxima SE.

Destroyer
12-24-07, 12:47 AM
I'll back up the Maxima. Never owned one but I did own a '99 Infiniti I30t which is similar (Maxima looks better IMO). Decent power and all the toys. This is of course only because you want a sedan if you can do with a 5 seater coupe I would recommend a Lincoln Mark VIII. Great comfort, good power, and lots of potential at a very cheap price. Dont know how either one would be in snow as I haven't seen snow since '92. I would think the Maxima is OK and the Mark VIII not very good. Good luck with your next purchase:kari2:

hundley2803
12-24-07, 01:30 AM
late 80's IROC

c5 rv
12-24-07, 06:52 AM
Beware of rust issues on the Maxima. A co-worker had one that ran great for about 8-10 years / 125K miles. He dropped it off at a garage that specialized in Japanese imports for what he thought was a minor rear end noise. They called him in the next day to view it on the lift. Most of the structure in the back end was eaten away by rust. The mechanic said it was not an uncommon problem. He dumped the car.

Jesda
12-24-07, 07:35 AM
Some 4-5 passenger options are 93-97 Mazda 626, MX-6, and Ford Probes with a manual transmission. (Avoid the trouble-prone automatics.) They handle well, and perform OK with the V6. The 4-cyl units are probably more reliable, though.

I -loved- my 95 626! Mine was a manual that snicked through gears like a sports car. It shifted much like the Miata, but with longer throws. Handling was excellent and I enjoyed 38mpg on a cross country trip.

250k and all it suffered from was a minor oil leak and harmless HLA noise.

misfit6794
12-24-07, 09:08 AM
Hey jesda saw you over on the nico forums, i just got a j30 trying to figure out an idle issue, wish it had as much traffic as the caddy forums.

thebigjimsho
12-24-07, 02:38 PM
Except for the newest Maxima, the MTX SHO will eat it for lunch...