: replacing soda with water

Crown Vic Owner
12-19-07, 02:53 PM
Anyone ever do this

Im starting to cut the sugar in my diet to loose the lbs, but its SO DAMN hard.

Ive drank a gallon of damn water in a day replacing the soda i drink so i am not constantly thristy.

Florian
12-19-07, 03:19 PM
coke zero....awesome sugarfree soda.

F

Fire and Ice
12-19-07, 03:24 PM
I (used to) drink more than a 2 liter a day of Dr Pepper during the day, but I've cut back to half that and I drink water or juice at home in the evenings. I can't give up my soda just yet. There are worse things I could do to my body...

malcolm
12-19-07, 03:28 PM
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z263/dcm515/0470057521.jpg

EcSTSatic
12-19-07, 03:51 PM
I'm as guilty as the next person when it comes to carbonated beverages, but if you need some incentive:
http://www.mercola.com/2004/jun/23/carbonated_water.htm

Why are all of the healthy options either expensive, taste lousy or both?

RightTurn
12-19-07, 04:29 PM
Malcolm, I'm going to have to deputize you. Wear this.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z117/sarahw422/grammarpolice.jpg

Night Wolf
12-19-07, 04:35 PM
I'm drinking a Dr. Pepper right now, but only cause I have them.... see Kroger had a sale, 4 of those Coke fridge packs like 24 cans? for $11....

Coke Zero is good tho.

But I don't drink alot of soda, at all... everytime I go out somewhere I hardly ever get soda....

I like tea... alot.... hot and cold. At work we have an unlimited supply of Lipton tea bags, so I am always drinking tea, in the colder months, hot tea, in the Summer, I brew a tea bag in a cup like normal, then I get a cup of ice and make my own fresh iced tea :)

Never sweeted, no sugar or creme in my tea, just plain, its soo good. It's healthy too, anti-oxidents and stuff.

Or H20 w/ lemon.... between that and tea, I'm set for beverages :)

gary88
12-19-07, 04:36 PM
I stopped drinking that crap about 3 years ago. You'll realize how slow and lazy pop (yes pop, you gotta problem with that?) can make you feel after you cut it out completely and replace it with water.

malcolm
12-19-07, 04:36 PM
I thought I was going to have a seizure reading that post.

Crown Vic Owner
12-19-07, 04:37 PM
I thought I was going to have a seizure reading that post.

Honesty, who gives a shit?

Its a forum post, not a english essay

malcolm
12-19-07, 04:39 PM
I stopped drinking that crap about 3 years ago. You'll realize how slow and lazy pop (yes pop, you gotta problem with that?) can make you feel after you cut it out completely and replace it with water.

Lollipop or Sucker?

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z263/dcm515/pop.jpg

gary88
12-19-07, 05:17 PM
I'll take the sucker, thank you.

hueterm
12-19-07, 05:20 PM
Anyone ever do this

Im starting to cut the sugar in my diet to loose the lbs, but its SO DAMN hard.

Ive drank a gallon of damn water in a day replacing the soda i drink so i am not constantly thristy.

Excessive thirst is one of the top (if not THE top) symptoms of diabetes. You should get checked if you haven't been.

AMGoff
12-19-07, 05:22 PM
Even though I we've been over all of this before, it can't be said enough... soda is possibly the worst stuff this country is addicted to these days. Compound that with the fact that mothers are letting their children drink more of it at younger ages and we can easily see why the waistlines of our nation's youth are getting bigger and bigger. I remember growing up, we were only allowed to have soda on special occasions and even then we would only be allowed to have one 8-12oz can or bottle... it certainly wasn't something that was kept in the house at all times.

Let me preface all of this by saying that I'm not picking on you or anything of the sort, it's honestly for your own benefit.

This entire subject is something that's near and dear to me, as the science half of my college double-majors was in dietetics/nutrition. Most people really have little clue as to what they eat, the line of thought usually goes - "If it's readily available on the store shelves then it can't be that bad for me..." Moderation is the key to everything and the amount of moderation varies from product to product.

The problem with sodas isn't the amount of sugar in them. In fact, were manufacturers to actually use real sugar in their products then the problem wouldn't be nearly as bad. The biggest problem with them (aside from obvious over-consumption) is their use of High-Fructose Corn Syrup. While I'm not going to get into the nitty-gritty of it all, it boils down to the fact that unlike pure sucrose, HFCS actually changes the body's metabolism in a way which makes it more difficult for a person to feel "full," which consequently makes the person want to eat/drink more... it's a vicious cycle.

I don't even want to know how much soda you're used to drinking in a day, but you're probably horribly dehydrated which explains the amount of water you've been drinking. You're body needs about a half-gallon of water under normal conditions, so you're just playing catch-up. While cutting out useless, empty calories is a good start, it's just that - only a start. I neither know your other eating habits nor your activity level... but the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. Now I'm just going to go out on a limb here, but I'd be willing to say that your basal metabolic rate (resting rate) is slower than molasses going uphill in January - the only way to increase that is by increasing physical activity consistently throughout the week.

It doesn't happen overnight, it's an arduous process - which is why many people have a long line of failed diets behind them. Being in this "me too," instant-gratification society which we live - if the results aren't immediate then it's usually deemed not worth it - but it is. There are many great online tools out there to help you figure out both your approximate BMR and the approximate daily caloric your body needs to maintain your current weight - but you have to be completely honest with your answers to the questions in order to get a realistic figure.

Once your approximate caloric intake for maintenance is calculated, then it's time to count your calories and thankfully manufacturers put those nifty little labels on the back of their products - find an online source to learn how to properly read them. Don't go by the percentages as they are based on a 2000 calorie a day diet - which isn't for everyone, I personally need almost 3000 calories a day to maintain my current weight, although that number is dropping as I get older. There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat, so the general rule is if you cut your daily calorie intake by 500-600 below your maintenance level - you'll lose about a pound a week. If you really step up your activity and trim your calories a little futher you could increase that to two a week - which is the absolute most you should do to lose the weight in a healthy manner.

Of course the first thing you should do is consult your doctor to figure out the appropriate for you to step up any sort of exercise program/diet regimen. Everyone's different and if you're really out of shape you could end up hurting yourself by jumping into things full swing.

Other than that, continue to drink lots of water... and even better - tea, especially green tea. Drinking 4 glasses (32oz) of green tea has been proven to raise a persons metabolism and burn an extra 75 calories a day - without doing anything extra. Don't buy the crap from the stores either - it's loaded with sugars. Ask your mom to brew you some green iced tea at home - a quarter cup of sugar or 2-3oz of honey per gallon and maybe some lemon if your tastes dictate. It's good for you (for many reasons) and nothing quenches thirst like it.

Either way, I am proud of you (there, I said it!) for realizing you need a lifestyle change. Unfortunately, if you've been overweight throughout your adolescence then many new findings have shown you're already statistically much more likely to have health problems as you get older, even if you lose it all now. However, the only way to hedge your bets against it all is by taking the appropriate steps right now to live a healthier lifestyle. We all have things to change about the way we live - you're just lucky you've realized it sooner rather than later.

Keep up the good work, you'll get there :thumbsup:

dkozloski
12-19-07, 05:23 PM
I'm drinking a Dr. Pepper right now, but only cause I have them.... see Kroger had a sale, 4 of those Coke fridge packs like 24 cans? for $11....

Coke Zero is good tho.

But I don't drink alot of soda, at all... everytime I go out somewhere I hardly ever get soda....

I like tea... alot.... hot and cold. At work we have an unlimited supply of Lipton tea bags, so I am always drinking tea, in the colder months, hot tea, in the Summer, I brew a tea bag in a cup like normal, then I get a cup of ice and make my own fresh iced tea :)

Never sweeted, no sugar or creme in my tea, just plain, its soo good. It's healthy too, anti-oxidents and stuff.

Or H20 w/ lemon.... between that and tea, I'm set for beverages :)
The British Journal of Medicine recently published an article stating that there is absolutely no validity in the theory of anti-oxidants. The conclusion is that it may work in a test tube but the oxidants are not antied in the human body by anything but death. Unfortunately there are so many companies invested in the whole notion it is something like trying to stop a super tanker to get the thing turned off. It's like the bran craze of a few years back when there were warehouses full of bran and somebody got the health nuts to jump on the bran/roughage bandwagon. Just because the idea of something is spread all through the advertising industry doesn't mean it's valid.

Crown Vic Owner
12-19-07, 05:23 PM
Im not thirsty, its weird.

I stopped drinking it, and my doctor said it was normal, it also does not help that im pissing like a racehorse with clear pee. The one thing i am a little scared of is the quality of tap water, i DO know we get tap water and we live a half mile away from the biggest water filtration plant in the WORLD, but its still a little scary.

Rolex
12-19-07, 05:29 PM
I haven't had a soda in 4 months. I only drink water now, with the occasional glass of tea mixed in. I've lost 52 pounds over the past 4 months using diet and exercise.

Crown Vic Owner
12-19-07, 05:34 PM
I haven't had a soda in 4 months. I only drink water now, with the occasional glass of tea mixed in. I've lost 52 pounds over the past 4 months using diet and exercise.

Im 300lbs now, so i am not a small guy, but i am pretty tall. I am hoping to get down to 180.

gary88
12-19-07, 05:42 PM
Im not thirsty, its weird.

I stopped drinking it, and my doctor said it was normal, it also does not help that im pissing like a racehorse with clear pee. The one thing i am a little scared of is the quality of tap water, i DO know we get tap water and we live a half mile away from the biggest water filtration plant in the WORLD, but its still a little scary.

You can pick up a gallon of drinking water for about $1.50. Cheap, portable, and enough for a day or two.

AMGoff pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you want to really want to change for the better, you absolutely have to be consistent and dedicated. I used to work at the gym I go to, and I can't tell you how many people I've seen who go there for a few weeks, and are never seen again because they didn't gain muscle or loose tons of weight instantly.

dkozloski
12-19-07, 05:59 PM
You can pick up a gallon of drinking water for about $1.50. Cheap, portable, and enough for a day or two.

AMGoff pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you want to really want to change for the better, you absolutely have to be consistent and dedicated. I used to work at the gym I go to, and I can't tell you how many people I've seen who go there for a few weeks, and are never seen again because they didn't gain muscle or loose tons of weight instantly.
The source of bottled water is whatever the local water utility provides the bottler. This is a huge scam. Maybe the biggest there is. Take the bottle, refill it from the tap, and you have the same thing. You don't even get kissed.

Boombotz
12-19-07, 07:23 PM
Im 300lbs now, so i am not a small guy, but i am pretty tall. I am hoping to get down to 180.
You better cut out more then soda.

dkozloski
12-19-07, 07:34 PM
It sounds like he needs about three round trips on the Bataan Death March.

Jesda
12-19-07, 07:36 PM
I have a one gallon jug I refill from the sink and keep in the fridge. Its funny how it tastes just as nice, if not better.

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/4011-1/towerofcans_001.jpg

I also switched to diet. The picture above is not mine. Weight loss is effective only when you change your daily routine of what you eat, when you eat, and how much you walk.

hueterm
12-19-07, 08:02 PM
The source of bottled water is whatever the local water utility provides the bottler. This is a huge scam. Maybe the biggest there is. Take the bottle, refill it from the tap, and you have the same thing. You don't even get kissed.

Most better bottled drinking waters are at minimum distilled and Aquafina and Dasani are reverse osmosis purified -- as is Culligan, for instance. They may come from tap water, but there is a huge difference in reverse osmosis purified water than regular tap when it comes to dissolved solids -- and IMO are preferable to "spring" waters that may not have that level of purification.

I would rather the reverse osmosis process filter the water than my liver or kidneys...

dkozloski
12-19-07, 10:17 PM
Most better bottled drinking waters are at minimum distilled and Aquafina and Dasani are reverse osmosis purified -- as is Culligan, for instance. They may come from tap water, but there is a huge difference in reverse osmosis purified water than regular tap when it comes to dissolved solids -- and IMO are preferable to "spring" waters that may not have that level of purification.

I would rather the reverse osmosis process filter the water than my liver or kidneys...
I see you've bought into the advertising hype. http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/nbw.asp Bottled water is not held to as high of standards as water from a municipal water supply and if it's sold in the same state it's bottled in, can be almost anything. About 40% of bottled water comes from the tap. Who knows what the story on the bottles is. They had to be made somewhere and shipped under unknown conditions.

Jesda
12-19-07, 10:27 PM
My kidneys work pretty well.

Kev
12-19-07, 10:34 PM
Soda is good.

Water is good for you.

I like soda.

I drink water.

I have a soda once in a while as a treat.

That is all.

Kev
12-19-07, 10:37 PM
Why do people at 'all-you-can-eat' buffets drink diet soda? :rolleyes:

hueterm
12-19-07, 10:38 PM
I see you've bought into the advertising hype. http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/nbw.asp

OMG -- you're throwing out some tree-hugger council article as a way to combat hype?

:thehand: Pot/Kettle/Black

I'm not saying I refuse to ever drink tap water, but if I can reduce the amount of dissolved solids in what I drink, where I can through RO treatment, I'm going to do so.

I'm also not going to worry about spending a little extra money on bottled water (which I get primarily in returnable 5G tanks) -- or throwing away some regular water bottles (yes -- in the trash can, not recycle bin) when convenient.

EDIT: AND -- half the time, the tap water here tastes like lake water/algae -- which is reason enough not to drink much of it.

dkozloski
12-19-07, 10:46 PM
The municipal wells here are drilled into a dead dinosaur. The tap water is hard as hell. That doesn't stop them from bottling it as Pure Alaskan Water

EcSTSatic
12-19-07, 10:48 PM
We bottle our own water. We have one of these systems under the kitchen sink

http://www.wattspremier.com/premier/images/500032_250x250.jpg (http://www.wattspremier.com/watts/showdetl.cfm?&DID=15&User_ID=1223964&st=5495&st2=55897002&st3=77852074&Product_ID=25&CATID=1)

RightTurn
12-19-07, 10:54 PM
Why do people at 'all-you-can-eat' buffets drink diet soda? :rolleyes:

Or they put that sad packet of "Sweet N Lo" in the tea. :rofl:

hueterm
12-19-07, 11:03 PM
I hate it when a restaurant is so cheap that they don't have Equal or Splenda...

CadiJeff
12-19-07, 11:17 PM
I quit soda before joining the USAF a number of years ago, as a result i lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks and 15+ in less than a month