: Deal of the Week - My "New" PowerBook

AMGoff
12-18-07, 08:51 PM
Oh how I love craigslist sometimes... especially when the seller has no clue whatsoever. I saw an ad for a 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 for $550 - which is a good deal in and of itself. Being CL, I initially thought it was either a scam or at the very least, too good to be true.

Well it wasn't a scam and it actually turned out to be better than true... It ended up being a maxed-out, final-run, HR 1.67GHz machine:

1.67GHz PowerBook G4
15.2" High-Resolution 1440x960 display
2GBs of ram
128MB Radeon Mobility 9700 w/ dual-link DVI
100GB, 7200rpm hard drive
8x dual-layer Superdrive
FW400, FW800, & USB 2.0 ports
Airport Extreme & Bluetooth 2.0
Backlit Keyboard, Scrolling Trackpad, & Sudden Motion Sensor
With AppleCare until November of '08.

This machine is friggin' AWSOME - the absolute pinnacle of PowerPC design... and I robbed the guy blind, I don't feel bad though because he was an utter idiot. He bought it from an online vendor thinking that he would be able to run Windows on it without doing a lick of research about it because you know "it looked like the MacBook Pro and all..." Even better, he had already sold the machine to another guy for $650 who promptly demanded his money back because the screen had a yellowish tint to it, which it did but that guy must have been an idiot too. Within five minutes I had the display calibrated back to the proper levels. Regardless of that, I hemmed and hawed for a couple minutes and finally offered the guy $500... and he actually took it! I didn't even realize the machine had AppleCare on it until I went through everything in the box, that was just gravy.

So now the wife is using my old PowerBook and I'm not sure what I'm going to end up doing with her old 12" PB yet. Either way, I just finished getting everything set up to my liking this afternoon. This machine truly is fantastic and it runs Leopard beautifully. While on paper things don't seem like there would be that big of an improvement over my old one, all of the little things really add up... 420MHz faster cpu, faster gpu with twice the bandwidth and vram (MR 9700/128 vs MR 9600/64), faster ram (pc4200 ddr2 vs pc2700 ddr), faster hard drive (100/7200 vs 80/5400), and even faster burning DVDs + total capacity (8x dual-layer vs 2x single layer)... it all amounts to a noticeable improvement in all around speed - start up, Finder responsiveness, file transfers, app launches, and Photoshop absolutely flies on this thing.

This more than quenches any thirst I may have had for one of those "new-fangled" MacBook Pros, and will for quite some time.

:hrazz: Merry Christmas to me! :hrazz:

ryannel2003
12-18-07, 09:30 PM
Nice! I love the PowerBook's. They are great machines, and I've always wanted to collect a PB 12". They still command a pretty steep price. Heck, the 867MHz PowerBook costs the same as yours. Damn, that guy was pretty stupid. But lucky for you.

AMGoff
12-18-07, 09:59 PM
Nice! I love the PowerBook's. They are great machines, and I've always wanted to collect a PB 12". They still command a pretty steep price. Heck, the 867MHz PowerBook costs the same as yours. Damn, that guy was pretty stupid. But lucky for you.

It's true... it's all supply and demand. I remember the PowerBook 2400 held it's value extremely well for quite some time until the dual-usb iBooks came out, but even then it wasn't until the 12" PBs came out that they really started to plummet. The 12" PBs have continued to hold their own value as well as they have because Apple decided to replace them and both of the iBooks with the MacBook... which was a bonehead move. The MacBook is by no means a "small" notebook... it's damn-near as big as the 15" PowerBooks/MBPs. People who love the compact form factor really love it.. and many owners of the 12" have continued to hold on to them simply because Apple has yet to come out with a proper replacement. Beyond that, the G4 is still a plenty powerful processor... while all of these dual-core chips may be blazingly fast, they're really overkill for what most people need them for.

However, if current rumors hold true then Apple may be set to debut a new (sub)compact MacBook at MacWorld in January.. something along the lines of a 10-12" widescreen display, flash storage in lieu of a hard drive, and something like a half-inch thick. If that is indeed the case then watch those 12-incher PBs plummet.

Anyway, I can let you know after I decide what I'm going to do with the wife's old 12" PB if you think you might be interested. It's a decent little machine, I've never really liked it just because the 1024x768 resolution is pretty much unusable for what I need to do.

ryannel2003
12-18-07, 10:10 PM
Yeah I had an iBook G4 and it was a excellent little machine. I purchased it in April 2007 for $550. I wish I hadn't sold it (damn mirror broke off my Camry). However, it was quickly outdated with a slow 1GHz processor and small 30GB HD. However, it was a beautiful piece. I prefer it much more to the MacBook. My favorite Mac i've had so far is my 1.25GHz eMac. That machine has been excellent, and even with Leopard on it still runs nicely. I've also had a Core Duo Mac mini which I was never happy with. It was extremely slow (my fault; it only had 512MB) but i just never... loved it.

I really can't wait to get my new iMac! Only 6 more days! :eek:

AMGoff
12-18-07, 11:53 PM
I ended up buying an 800MHz G4 iBook a while back for my nephew... It was a fine little machine, I actually liked it so much that I damn near decided to keep it for myself. A 1GHz G4 in and of itself is plenty fast enough to run OS X and related apps... it usually the components it's attached to that prove to be the biggest bottlenecks for performance. Lack of ram is a biggie, but for yours in particular - that 30GB hard drive was another big drawback, especially since it was a 4200rpm drive. A bigger capacity/slower speed hard drive can actually be faster than a smaller capacity/faster drive... consequently, a large capacity/high speed drive is the best in terms of performance. One of Apple's biggest problems for a long time was their use of 4200rpm drives, even in their professional machines.

Anyway... had you upgraded the iBook to 1GB of ram and say, an 80GB 7200rpm (or even a 5400rpm) drive, it would have really hummed along with X.

Crown Vic Owner
12-19-07, 12:55 AM
My macbook is holding up fine for me, although its going on its 5th keyboard because of them cracking and or fading.

Either way, i guess thats one thing we can agree on, macs.

I was lucky and got my MB for only 700 bucks brand new, knowing someone working at the apple store giving me a discount.

My_favorite_Brougham
12-19-07, 01:43 AM
You have the EXACT same computer as me, and I have loved every minute if it. I'm using it now and don't want any other machine. You will not regret this purchase! :D:D:D:D:D

ryannel2003
12-19-07, 11:39 AM
I ended up buying an 800MHz G4 iBook a while back for my nephew... It was a fine little machine, I actually liked it so much that I damn near decided to keep it for myself. A 1GHz G4 in and of itself is plenty fast enough to run OS X and related apps... it usually the components it's attached to that prove to be the biggest bottlenecks for performance. Lack of ram is a biggie, but for yours in particular - that 30GB hard drive was another big drawback, especially since it was a 4200rpm drive. A bigger capacity/slower speed hard drive can actually be faster than a smaller capacity/faster drive... consequently, a large capacity/high speed drive is the best in terms of performance. One of Apple's biggest problems for a long time was their use of 4200rpm drives, even in their professional machines.

Anyway... had you upgraded the iBook to 1GB of ram and say, an 80GB 7200rpm (or even a 5400rpm) drive, it would have really hummed along with X.

Yeah I would've had kept it on Tiger, which ran pretty good. Leopard would have just been to much for it to handle. I was going to upgrade the RAM, but i sold it before I could make that upgrade. As for the HD, I am terrified of going inside my Mac's. I would have broken something. Paying an AASP would've have cost alot of money and by that time, i would have been in debt another $400. That's halfway to a used MacBook. I ended up getting a Compaq laptop for $379 with a 1.5GHz Celeron M 520, 512MB RAM (upgraded to 1.5GB), 80GB SATA HD, 15.4" glossy widescreen display, DVD burner, and Vista Basic. Not the nicest laptop in the world and it doesn't run OS X, but it has been great so far.

AMGoff
12-19-07, 01:35 PM
You have the EXACT same computer as me, and I have loved every minute if it. I'm using it now and don't want any other machine. You will not regret this purchase! :D:D:D:D:D

I'm totally with you... this machine is cherry. I was still fairly pleased with my 1.25 PB, but there was no way I could pass up a deal like this. Like I said, even though it's all a bunch of little improvements - they really do add up.

Yeah I would've had kept it on Tiger, which ran pretty good. Leopard would have just been to much for it to handle. I was going to upgrade the RAM, but i sold it before I could make that upgrade. As for the HD, I am terrified of going inside my Mac's. I would have broken something. Paying an AASP would've have cost alot of money and by that time, i would have been in debt another $400. That's halfway to a used MacBook. I ended up getting a Compaq laptop for $379 with a 1.5GHz Celeron M 520, 512MB RAM (upgraded to 1.5GB), 80GB SATA HD, 15.4" glossy widescreen display, DVD burner, and Vista Basic. Not the nicest laptop in the world and it doesn't run OS X, but it has been great so far.

I've actually found Leopard to do pretty well on the right G4. As long as you're running a G4 with at least 32MB of AGP graphics then performance is comparable to Tiger - once it's up and running... I've found startup takes twice as long as Tiger, as does shutdown. But if you're like me then the only time you actually restart the machine is for system updates... so it's not really that big of a deal.