: Crucial sucks.

JimmyH
12-18-07, 01:29 PM
Well, to me anyway. I am irritated. I ordered memory from them for my iMac, and for my Dell at work. Well, they shipped the iMac memory, but backordered the Dell memory. And I used Paypal with a one-time secure card number. So of course, when they tried to charge for the Dell memory, it was declined, because they used that card number for the first shipment.

So I called, gave them a new secure card number, which got approved, but now the memory is backordered again.

WTF!

Crown Vic Owner
12-18-07, 01:38 PM
i just use my real CC number but use a debit account with WAMU. I have had test trasactions (15 1 dollar transactions from known companies, but ended up being bad transactions), either way, they got deleted and i got a new card number within days.

JimmyH
12-18-07, 01:39 PM
I only used paypal secure cuz I just sold some stuff and have money in my account.

Crown Vic Owner
12-18-07, 01:40 PM
ah, ok.

JimmyH
12-18-07, 01:44 PM
still, I think their customer service could be better

urbanski
12-18-07, 01:45 PM
newegg.com > u

Crown Vic Owner
12-18-07, 01:47 PM
+1

3 days to get every single part to build a pc ftw

AMGoff
12-18-07, 03:25 PM
Ugh... why did you order through Crucial in the first place? They're usually overpriced and rarely does the added cost equate to extra quality. I know I commented on this somewhere around here.

Anytime you need to order something for your iMac go through OWC... and if you're specifically looking for memory, check out ramseeker.com to price out who's offering the best deals at the time.

JimmyH
12-18-07, 04:09 PM
I have heard crucial has the best quality. For the Mac memory, they were only $5 more than the cheapest. And Dell are particularly picky about what type of Ram you put in.

AMGoff
12-18-07, 04:35 PM
I've "heard" that as well... although experience has never really backed up the claim. I know Dells can be picky at times, but I've never had any issues with my Macs - just as long as they're equivalent to OEM parts. I'm guessing you only ended up picking up a 1GB stick? Because the 2GB sticks from Crucial cost $75, which the same from OWC come in at $50... and the 2GBs from Omni Tech only cost $45. If I recall, I've even bought ram for a friend's Dell laptop from Omni and it worked just fine. I just know I personally wouldn't waste any extra money buying from Crucial.. the only way something would go wrong is if there was a defect during manufacturing, and even then you'd just return it for a new one.

dkozloski
12-18-07, 04:48 PM
Corsair Memory.:thumbsup:

Submariner409
12-18-07, 05:22 PM
www.tigerdirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com) (Illinois) or www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) .

JimmyH
12-18-07, 05:37 PM
I searched on Omni (after seeing them on ebay) and read horror stories. And I try to avoid any vendor who lists on ebay anyway when it comes to computers. I have had nothing but problems with them.

Too late now anyway.

AMGoff
12-18-07, 06:06 PM
Tis true... I haven't ordered from them that often, so I've probably just lucked out the few times that I have... either way, just keep OWC in mind for any future transactions, their reputation is just about golden... especially if you decide to pick up a 2GB stick, 25 bucks is a BIG difference... they're also very competitive on external/internal drives and the like - although I like to always price things like that out on pricewatch first.

ryannel2003
12-18-07, 07:17 PM
I just ordered a stick of Crucial memory for my iMac off NewEgg for $63 shipped. Crucial website was going to charge me $90 shipped for the same thing. My eMac had Crucial memory in it along with my Compaq laptop and both times it has been nothing but excellent.

codewize
12-18-07, 10:56 PM
That has nothing to do with Crucial at all. They're doing what they're supposed to be.

Try ordering that memory direct from Dell and I guarantee you that you'll have 4 times the headaches. They'll tell you it's shipping and it won't even be available. LOL.

If anyone need Crucial parts, let me know. I'm a reseller and I can get decent deals on certain things.

JimmyH
12-19-07, 01:51 PM
They did get the new order out pretty quick, I have to give them credit for that. And their pricing was a little high, but not extraordinarily so.

DILLIGAF
12-19-07, 11:08 PM
I've had great luck with Crucial,but then i've only bought 2 sticks from them and I rarely look for the best price.If I find it,I buy it,i'm somewhat of a mo-ron when it comes to searching for hours to save 10 bucks.

dkozloski
12-19-07, 11:14 PM
Corsair Memory has been the premiere memory maker for years. The rest is varying grades of junk. Well, not quite that bad but it's superior.

JimmyH
12-20-07, 02:29 PM
I've had great luck with Crucial,but then i've only bought 2 sticks from them and I rarely look for the best price.If I find it,I buy it,i'm somewhat of a mo-ron when it comes to searching for hours to save 10 bucks.

exactly, I am not going to spend hours on the internet to save a couple dollars

Corsair Memory has been the premiere memory maker for years. The rest is varying grades of junk. Well, not quite that bad but it's superior.

Corsair is very good, but crucial uses Micron memory which is widely regarded as the best. I cannot say for myself tho.

AMGoff
12-20-07, 03:38 PM
Hours? Of course not... ten minutes - why not? I don't buy any ram without checking ramseeker.com - which takes all of 30 seconds and it lists everyone's prices side by side. Beyond that, for any other component pricewatch.com is another great tracker site - find what you want and see who's selling it for what price. A few minutes is definitely worth my time, especially if there's the possibility of saving more than just a couple bucks.

Sure, with this particular case it only ended up being $5 (which I would have still liked to save)... but had you bought the 2GB stick, are you telling me you would have been perfectly fine spending an extra $25 just because you didn't want to spend a few extra minutes looking?

chess
12-20-07, 04:05 PM
ive had no problem with adata memory.. works like a charm !

JimmyH
12-20-07, 04:37 PM
I did check ramseeker, the only ones who were cheaper were significantly cheaper, and I am not risking Omni, I read too many bad reviews.

As for the Dell memory, I paid $110 for 2gb. I saw a couple prices for for a little less than that, but everything significantly less was high density memory which will not work in a dell.