: Sold a quarter for $300, Muwahahahaha...

Black Sunshine
12-16-07, 10:09 AM
I was traveling on business and stopped to get some gas for the car and a couple snacks. Had no change. Paid with bills.

Stopped again about two hours later still hungry and went to buy something else to eat.

Was counting out change when I grabbed what at first I thought was a penney but it didn't feel right, so I looked at the coin a lil closer.

DAUM! It was a quarter. (snagged that sucker right back into the pocket)

I have a small coin collection and know a lil about this stuff. I knew this coin could be valuable considering it got by all the quality control checks the treasury does and then all the hands it passed thru before I got it. It's a manufacturing defect. When the blanks get punched out of the laminated metal plate before stamping with the die sometimes, and I mean rarely, a layer of the metal will delaminate from the blank.

I contacted some "reputable" coin guys and was offered up to $75 with a lot of, "It really ain't worth that much.", etc. I knew I was on to something.

Posted it up on Ebay and sold that biotch for $300. Suweet!
Can you say, "One new racing BeCool radiator fo a quarta, please."?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/Personal/NHQtrBack640pixel.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/Personal/NHQtrFrnt640pixel.jpg

Stoneage_Caddy
12-16-07, 10:40 AM
i gotta start watching my change...ive had freak coins before , 2 of them .....with the similar issue but didnt think anything of them

CadillacSTS42005
12-16-07, 11:52 AM
so wait
its a quarter
with copper on the front?

malcolm
12-16-07, 01:22 PM
Lamination Errors

It happens at the mint. You got a very good price for it.
A coin with a fragment of metal missing or peeled off the coin's surface. Caused by dirt or gas trapped in the strip as it is rolled out to the prescribed thickness. Lamination errors may be missing or attached to the coin's surface. In the case of clad coins, the outer layer may be completely or partially missing on one or both sides.

gary88
12-16-07, 02:03 PM
Congrats on your 1200% profit :highfive:

c5 rv
12-16-07, 02:08 PM
Congrats on your 1200% profit :highfive:

I'm sure he will be including it as income on his taxes.

Black Sunshine
12-16-07, 02:34 PM
What profit? Administrative fees ate it all up. :rolleyes:

Cadillacboy
12-16-07, 03:35 PM
Talk about a lucrative profit ,great job
:highfive:

heavymetals
12-16-07, 04:35 PM
Congrats.:thumbsup:

A friend of mine collects errors.

There is a unique market for printing and stamping errors.

Benzilla
12-16-07, 06:44 PM
Oh, an *actual* quarter... I knew that.