: Computer Speaker Problem

CadillacSTS42005
12-15-07, 01:04 PM
The power supply went bad on the desktop downstairs. took it in for repair, its fixed however you get NO sound out of the speakers, ive checked and nothing is muted either on the speakers or the computer as well as tried both ports on the desktop (one in front one in rear) anyone have any ideas?

AMGoff
12-15-07, 01:26 PM
Have you tried a different set of speakers? And subsequently tried those speakers on a different computer? You need to figure out the source of the problem... how old is the computer? Depending on the of the machine it'll either have a dedicated sound card or if it's newer it will have on-board sound... if it's the latter then you're screwed unless you feel like replacing the whole motherboard. Either way... make sure any of the drivers didn't somehow get messed up... worst case scenario, you'll have to go buy a pci-soundcard, Good Lord... is Sound Blaster even around anymore....?

Cadillacboy
12-15-07, 01:47 PM
Connect your computer to an audio device and see if there is a sound .

wait4me6920
12-15-07, 01:53 PM
Go to control panel/device manager and see if sound card or onboard sound is listed as installed... If all is OK..no red or yellow exclamation marks...then control panel/sounds& audio and check to make sure nothing is muted and the volume is adjusted correctly. If review indicates the device(s) is not working properly, you can try removing the drivers & reboot - the system should identify the device(s) & install drivers...

Another check - If you go to Start: Run and type "dxdiag" in the command box (not including the quotes), then press return, you can run Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic. There is a sound test in there. If the sound test runs, and no software errors are reported, and yet you aren't hearing any sound, then it could be there is a wiring problem. (Click "Test DirectSound" button)

CadillacSTS42005
12-15-07, 09:06 PM
speaks arent the problem i tried them on my lap top they work 100%

its about 2 years old an HP is it matters obviously running on Windows 98

CadillacSTS42005
12-15-07, 09:10 PM
Go to control panel/device manager and see if sound card or onboard sound is listed as installed... If all is OK..no red or yellow exclamation marks...then control panel/sounds& audio and check to make sure nothing is muted and the volume is adjusted correctly. If review indicates the device(s) is not working properly, you can try removing the drivers & reboot - the system should identify the device(s) & install drivers...

Another check - If you go to Start: Run and type "dxdiag" in the command box (not including the quotes), then press return, you can run Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic. There is a sound test in there. If the sound test runs, and no software errors are reported, and yet you aren't hearing any sound, then it could be there is a wiring problem. (Click "Test DirectSound" button)

no sound card is there or anything sound related is on the control panel other than Sounds and Audio Devices

gary88
12-15-07, 09:33 PM
Don't the speakers have their own power source? Maybe that's the culprit.

CadillacSTS42005
12-15-07, 09:48 PM
i tried the speaks on my lap top
they work 100%

wait4me6920
12-15-07, 10:30 PM
Wow, Win 98 - that's more than a couple years back...

Pry it open & see what sound card is in there... Here's a link for drivers for a number of different cards...

http://www.directron.com/sounddriver.html

If that doesn't do it, I'd chug on down to Office Deport, Circuit City or the like... You can pick up a PCI sound card for around twenty bucks... Or not, I'm not sure they still make sound cards that'll work with Win 98 - check to be sure... Maybe you can cannibalize...

dkozloski
12-15-07, 10:40 PM
Take it back to the clown that changed the power supply. It was working before he fooled with it and it doesn't work now. It sounds like a maintenance failure to me. He bumped something or left it unplugged when he messed with it before. Give him a chance to make it right.

Brizzal
12-15-07, 11:48 PM
some way, some how you/someone could have touched the motherboard and fried the sound chipset, ive seen it many times. Try buying a separate soundcard, it would fix it and your music/sound will be crystal clear

wait4me6920
12-16-07, 12:19 AM
some way, some how you/someone could have touched the motherboard and fried the sound chipset, ive seen it many times. Try buying a separate soundcard, it would fix it and your music/sound will be crystal clear

This puppy is old enough that it prolly has a PCI sound card rather than onboard sound - wouldn't hurt to make sure it's properly seated. May not be easy to find a replacement - most cards these days require XP & up...

Like Koz said earlier, wouldn't be a bad move to lean on the dude that put in the new power supply. Shouldn't have had to mess with the motherboard or cards, but who knows...

slk230mb
12-16-07, 01:27 PM
Why would a two year old computer come with windows 98?

CadillacSTS42005
12-16-07, 02:28 PM
cuz its about 7 years old but he had it completely refreshed in 2 years ago he said

AMGoff
12-16-07, 07:08 PM
By "completely refreshed," I assume you mean it's been refurbished and upgraded? If so, I find it at the very least odd that the OS wasn't upgraded as well... Windows 98 is about as useful as tits on a horse these days.

Anyway... that's neither here nor there. If it's seven years old, then it's iffy as to whether it has a dedicated sound card or whether it's built into the motherboard. The easiest way to tell without opening the machine up is by looking at the back of it...

Are the audio ports located up with all of the other ports (ie - the mouse, keyboard, usbs, etc..) or are they located down toward the bottom where all of the slots are?

Either way, as long as you have those pci slots then you'll be able to install a replacement/new sound card... they've got to be dirt cheap these days... now you just have to make sure they still have Win98 drivers for it.