: Favorite things about GM?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-07, 10:18 PM
Let's see here....

-They're American
-Their long and interesting past.
- Alfred Sloan's idea of "a car for every man", which led to the wide model ranges
-Cadillac.
- Big block pushrod V8's

lusterblade
12-14-07, 11:09 PM
-They pay me:shhh:

dkozloski
12-14-07, 11:31 PM
Cadillac.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-14-07, 11:36 PM
Just the History , and the occasional times when they show the world what happens when there engineers get bored ....too bad few of those times became production items ...

Jesda
12-15-07, 12:08 AM
Cadillac.

dkozloski
12-15-07, 12:25 AM
The greatest visionary of them all Zora Arkus-Duntov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zora_Arkus-Duntov

Destroyer
12-15-07, 12:25 AM
Best damn V8's on the planet as far as I'm concerned. Oh sure I own a couple of Ford products but I still love the LSx motors. Old pushrod technology, big hp and good gas mileage!. The Fords still sound the coolest though!. Actually I love all generations of the Chevy small and big block engines and many BOP plus Caddy motors too. At the end of the day nobody has put out better cars/engines IMO than GM and nobody has put out as many POS's as GM either. Win some, lose some but GM will always be my fav.

dkozloski
12-15-07, 12:27 AM
Cadillac.
Who the hell do you think you are, Joe Biden?

MN-STS-LOVER
12-15-07, 02:00 AM
and nobody has put out as many POS's as GM either. .

AKA: The Chevette/T1000

Benzilla
12-15-07, 02:11 AM
Body by Fisher
Cadillac
Chevrolet - the people's Cadillac.
Cutlass Supreme
Detroit - there's just a special feel there, so connected to GM and the American car culture. Being from there with most of my family rooted there, the whole concept is very close to my heart. After being gone for six years, going back and seeing the GM logo on the top of the Renaissance center brought a tear to my eye.

What can I say, they've made almost every car I've ever fell in love with.

MN-STS-LOVER
12-15-07, 02:11 AM
Just too add...although the J body made a decent Chevy (I had a Cav RS), Pontiac, Olds and Buick...I still can't believe Caddy actually made one?

ryannel2003
12-15-07, 02:14 AM
The Northstar.

Destroyer
12-15-07, 08:32 AM
The Northstar.Like I said, GM has made their fair share of mistakes. :eek:

Cadillacboy
12-15-07, 09:14 AM
Aside from Cadillac , here you're the list :

V8 engines namely LT ,LS series
GM Logo

Baatfam
12-15-07, 09:16 AM
Drivin' 'em and workin' on 'em....:thumbsup:

For some reason I've always been comfortible in GMs....the controls seem right, the seating postition....I don't know...they just feel better than any other brand I've ever drivin'
Fords are weird, Chryslers are OK...but kinda cheap inside...Foriegn cars are just boring for the most part...(well except for that Lotus I had)

And working on them. I don't know, the way they go together and come apart, comes naturally for me....
35 years working on my own stuff and only GM seems easy for me...(even when they're really not, LOL)

Bob T.

Jesda
12-15-07, 12:44 PM
Who the hell do you think you are, Joe Biden?

Bwahahahhahaah!

Okay okay, new answer: Holden

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-15-07, 01:21 PM
That's another thing I really like...the way they drive and the way they feel. Fords have lousy interiors and always seemed cheap...Chrysler hasn't made a product that I really like since the '70s. GM's, for the most part, have always been reliable, cheap to own, easy to fix, and cheap to modify and there's always been a performance market for lots of the motors...and you can't beat the small block Chevy.

Jesda
12-15-07, 01:24 PM
Interiors haven't really been a selling point for GM at all in the last 20 years, except for Cadillac.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-15-07, 01:28 PM
Yeah, except for these last few years when GM has really stepped up their game. But compare a '97 Bonneville or Eighty Eight to a '97 Taurus and tell me what sucks less.

AMGoff
12-15-07, 03:28 PM
While I make no attempt to hide my affection for Chrysler, the General is a close second on my list. I like what's been good to me and neither of those companies have ever done me dirty, so I continue to reward them with my business. I was influenced greatly by my maternal grandfather... who was always a GM man. This was a man who was loyal to the company and who moved up "through the ranks," just as the General wanted their customers to do. My mother told me that while she was growing up he had Chevys, Pontiacs, and Oldsmobiles... then later on, as far back as I can remember he always had at all times a Buick, a Cadillac, and a GMC truck in his drive and he had his upgrading down to a science. The cars were always on a staggered six year schedule so every three years there would always be a shiny new Caddy or Buick at the house and he'd buy a new GMC every decade. Not only was he loyal to the manufacturer but he was loyal to his dealer as well, from whom he bought all of his vehicles for over 40 years... he never dealt with the salesmen there, only the dealer principle... he never haggled and always insisted on paying sticker price.... and that obviously didn't go unnoticed because towards the end of his time with us, the dealer actually gave my grandpop a brand new '98 Sierra with a special engraved plaque on the dash that said "Mr. Ed's GMC, A Special Thanks to our #1 Customer." That was the first time I ever saw him with a tear in his eye, he said beyond the births of his children, grandchildren, and great-grand children, that was the happiest moment of his life. He was with us for another three years after that and for that whole time he didn't even drive his other cars, only that truck. That story right there, really exemplifies why I like GM so much... sure it wasn't necessarily GM that did something like that, but instead that particular dealer... but that was the reason I bought our GS and the Seville from them when I decided to finally go the GM route. I just hope that I can get that truck one day, it's still in our family and my uncle currently has it.. he only has one daughter and she's a little VW-driving twit, so I might just have a chance yet.

gdwriter
12-15-07, 05:51 PM
For me, it's styling. Except for that dark period in the 80s when everything looked alike, GM has always had standout styling 55-57 Chevrolet Bel Air 63 Buick Riviera, 63-67 Chevrolet Corvette, any Chevrolet Camaro, any 60s Chevrolet Impala, 67 Cadillac Eldorado, 75 Cadillac Seville, 92 Cadillac Seville you get my drift. It's nice to see GM regaining its styling leadership with knockout designs like the 08 Cadillac CTS and Chevrolet Malibu.

I also consider GM cars the most durable of the American makes. Even with its age and high mileage, my '91 DeVille has no squeaks or rattles and drives beautifully. I still see many early 90s DeVilles on the road, most of which look as good or better than mine. It's rare that I see anything from Chrysler (not counting Jeep) that's 10 years old or more and doesn't look like a complete POS.

Finally, I like GM powertrains. Pushrods may be older than God, but they work. In trucks, at least, GMs V-8s tend to have more power and get better gas mileage than Ford's OHC engines (which I've always thought sound kind of thrashy). And there's a reason why Rolls Royce and BMW bought GM automatics; they were and still are the best in the world.

Sure, GM has built some crappy cars. Everybody has, including M-B, BMW and Toyota. But for me, the good stuff outweighs the bad.

ryannel2003
12-15-07, 06:10 PM
I also think another great thing about GM was the Seville of the '98-'04 era. I have never loved the design of any car more than the Seville. It blows everything else out of the water. Even though the new models handle better and are cheaper to operate, it just can't compare style wise. Looks too much like a bloated CTS (no offense). The interior is also more plush and comfortable, with more soft touch plastic and a simpler center stack. The '98 was just a beautiful car, and ever since they came out I always wanted one. Still don't have one, but hopefully next year I will.

Cadillacboy
12-15-07, 06:14 PM
Hope you get it ryannel . Yup, you're right but '92-97 Seville models look more American imo those '98-04 Sevilles more Euro if you ask me but overall the later wins .

ryannel2003
12-15-07, 06:20 PM
Yeah I actually considered keeping my Toyota and getting a '92-'97 Seville STS as a second car. But those cars seem to have a lot more issues, and I would rather get rid of the Camry and make the Seville a daily driver. I drove a 2003 SLS today, and damn I love putting the pedal to the floor. Nothing sounds like a Northstar... and it just kicks ass! Got out the '03 and right back into my Camry and everything feels so disconnected and serene. Still need to find that perfect Seville... they now have a '99 STS with 65k miles for $10k. Unfortunately the last owner smoked like no tomorrow, and the transmission is jerky. Plus, it keeps throwing a code. Then again, i would buy an extended warranty anyway. :cool:

Cadillacboy
12-15-07, 06:24 PM
I think you should buy a model as late as possible due to new improvements like MagnaRide . Yep, Magna should be one of the coolest things in GM as well . Extended warrany is no waste of money

ryannel2003
12-15-07, 06:29 PM
Yeah and by next year, they will be cheaper. I'm really looking for a '02-'03 STS in Black or Crimson Red. I'm not in any kinda rush though. I think driving one of the few Seville's on the lot until I get mine will keep me happy for now. :D

Cadillacboy
12-15-07, 06:32 PM
Yeah ,sounds nice and prevents you from being miserable too
:highfive:

AMGoff
12-15-07, 06:37 PM
Yeah and by next year, they will be cheaper. I'm really looking for a '02-'03 STS in Black or Crimson Red. I'm not in any kinda rush though. I think driving one of the few Seville's on the lot until I get mine will keep me happy for now.

Whatever you do, just be most concerned about getting a '00+ Seville... while no car is perfect, they're a little closer to it than any of the pre-00s... if it's got Magnaride then that's just gravy. And it still hold firm on this point - don't arbitrarily count out a loaded SLS, especially if you haven't spent any considerable time driving one... you can find some great deals out there on them.

ryannel2003
12-15-07, 06:56 PM
So far the only model year STS I have driven is a '99. My dealer rarely gets a '00+ STS and when we do, it's sold too quickly for me to check it out. I have spent a considerable amount of time in a '99 STS, '01 SLS and '03 SLS and between all three my favorite is the '99. In the curves, the '99 had the least amount of body roll (even though the SLS is no slouch). I also like the leather Cadillac uses in the STS (the pin-holes or whatever you call it). However, when it came down to reliability the '03 won hands down. The '99 had very few codes, and it seemed to be solid. The owner's of the '01 kept all the records and I browsed though them today:

Replaced water pump twice
Broken motor mounts
Leaking coolant
dead windows
front end shimmy
wonky gas gauge
needed new instrument cluser
Interior dash pieces broken

I guess it's a toss up. The '99 was perfect (the '03 was in one accident, but I can't tell), and the Shale '99 we have currently has not been taken care of (even though it has a new water pump). The best thing about the SLS is to many people they aren't as desirable, and for that matter they are about 2 grand cheaper than a similar STS. In my opinion, it doesn't matter what I get as long as the coolant has been changed in a frequent manner, and the owner has taken damn good care of the car. I also prefer Sable Black or White Diamond; Bronzemist and Silver are my least favorite Seville colors.

LS1Mike
12-16-07, 12:14 AM
The SBC, the BBC, The supercharged 3800, The turbo charged 3.8, The 4.3, the Turbo charged 4.3, the LSX series of engines, the turbo 400, the turbo 350, the 4L80E the GM corporate 14 bolt rear end, any Corvette, any F-body, any GM truck...Just to name a few...But the main reason is...It isn't a Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo etc etc I think you catch my drift...
And remeber pushrods might be old, but Mercedes had OHC motors back in the 20's. GM had them in the 60's maybe before so I would have to check. So both are old. I don't care how I get my power as long as it is reliable.