: How hard to do valve cover gaskets?

nerdifiedgeek
12-14-07, 08:57 PM
I have a Catera now as a backup vehicle pretty much that has an oil leak from the valve covers. I know it costs around $500 to fix leaks from there, but I didn't know how difficult it would be to do the fix myself. It looks like I can get to 2 of the valve covers easy enough, but the upper 2 do you have to take off the intake plenum? If so I believe that requires the engine to be pulled correct?

jebfrank
12-18-07, 12:54 AM
Not hard at all, the plenum comes off quite easy, its pretty cake on replacing the gaskets. Just remember you need two gaskets per side! Also make sure you reach back in the back make sure the gasket is sitting on the head and nothing is in between the two.

2001CatOwner
12-20-07, 08:19 PM
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152564281
That site has pics and everything you need. Mine took about 4 hours. GMpartsdirect.com had the parts for the car and it was a lot cheaper than others. Any questions you can ask me.

nerdifiedgeek
12-22-07, 04:24 PM
Well I've started on it. I've got the intake plenum off now, taking a break for now might work more on it tomorrow, I don't have the gaskets yet anyways so I can't finish till I have those obviously. One question though, do the valve cover gaskets come as a set or is it seriousl $50 for each gasket?