: This block of steel is about to become the first ever CTS-V Billet Diff housing!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Nutz
12-13-07, 09:27 PM
Yes, it's really going to happen. Stay tuned.

-Nutz

Twitch
12-13-07, 09:30 PM

-Nutz

SOLD,,,,I'll take it as is. :bonkers: Should help my traction in the snow.

nikon
12-13-07, 09:36 PM
^^ :histeric:

CVP33
12-13-07, 09:44 PM

-Nutz

Whoa. Finally.

Crown Vic Owner
12-13-07, 09:47 PM
lol, i need post 2 in my sig i think lmfao

STAGEUP
12-13-07, 10:02 PM
Quick question, how much that block weigh? Looks like I can replace 4 45lb plates on the bench press bar with that block. lol

CTSV_Rob
12-13-07, 10:34 PM
Wow, won't be much of that left when your done. How long do you think it will take to hog out all of that material?

That will be one solid rear end when your done.

You know, since the program would be done already have you thought about an aluminum upgrade? Doing it out of a solid chunk of aluminum should be stronger then the cast case plus you could make it a little thicker and more ribbing.

Strength, weight savings,...

Just a thought and maybe a bad one. The casting these days is probably much better then the casting of the old days so there probably won't be much gain but I had to ask anyways.

Can't wait to see the final cut.

Mystical_Ice
12-13-07, 10:44 PM
Quick question, how much that block weigh? Looks like I can replace 4 45lb plates on the bench press bar with that block. lol

lol i'm pretty sure that weighs a couple hundred pounds easy. i'd be surprised if you could squat that, let alone bench it :)

then again, what would i know... i'm in the wood business :-/

hey thread-creator: videotape the CNC cutting it. then when you're done speed it up 10x, and put it on youtube. seriously...

nxlr8
12-13-07, 10:52 PM
hey thread-creator: videotape the CNC cutting it. then when you're done speed it up 10x, and put it on youtube. seriously...
:yeah:

heavymetals
12-13-07, 11:17 PM
I vote magnesium next. :histeric:

WOW, you guys got guts.

I bet you need a cherry picker just to lift the block.

theloanman219
12-13-07, 11:21 PM
I would love to see the cutting. Make into a medicine ball.

DILLIGAF
12-13-07, 11:29 PM
If thats mild steel it's gonna move around like a beotch!There will be no way to hold tolerances!I see 100 hours on a mill,at least 6 opps with no guarantee of a usable piece.Sorry,its what I do all day

rand49er
12-13-07, 11:34 PM
:food-snacking:

The Tony Show
12-13-07, 11:35 PM
:food-snacking:

darkman
12-13-07, 11:40 PM
If thats mild steel it's gonna move around like a beotch!There will be no way to hold tolerances!I see 100 hours on a mill,at least 6 opps with no guarantee of a usable piece.Sorry,its what I do all day

Yeah, but if it works we can get rid of our cast aluminum units that will break but not bend and get a steel unit that will bend but not break.

heavymetals
12-13-07, 11:43 PM
Yeah, but if it works we can get rid of our cast aluminum units that will break but not bend and get a steel unit that will bend but not break.

What makes you think there is gonna be more then one (if that)? :stirpot:

DILLIGAF
12-13-07, 11:44 PM
Won't get that far:eek:

darkman
12-13-07, 11:46 PM
I said "if".

STAGEUP
12-14-07, 12:05 AM
I doubt anyone on this board has a CTS-V that can bend the future steel case.

DILLIGAF
12-14-07, 12:05 AM
I've looked at doing this for the last 3 years,I've yet to find a way.Cutting is really no problem,just time consuming.The material is the problem,shit moves around like crazy,especially when you need heat treating.Theres a reason they use cast metal guys,it stays straight,it will not bend, it will break from shock.Maybe if these guys are carefull and hog all the excess meat off this forging,carefully heat treat the case,and then finish all the I.D. bearing surfaces,maybe,just maybe they get a usable piece.No friggen way they could ever make a buck selling them here.That square chunk of recycled shit cost more to make and ship than what I want to pay for the case.But hats off to these guys for having the balls to do this,I wish them all the luck in the world.I'm not flaming here at all,just telling it as I see it.Randy

1Sonterra
12-14-07, 12:17 AM
Make it out of the strongest, most flexible, lightest metal........................UN-OBTAINIUM !! :alchi:

sideways_v
12-14-07, 02:21 AM
I seriously hope you guys are successful at this. If for no reason other than to just prove the nay-sayers wrong.

dkozloski
12-14-07, 02:38 AM
I've looked at doing this for the last 3 years,I've yet to find a way.Cutting is really no problem,just time consuming.The material is the problem,shit moves around like crazy,especially when you need heat treating.Theres a reason they use cast metal guys,it stays straight,it will not bend, it will break from shock.Maybe if these guys are carefull and hog all the excess meat off this forging,carefully heat treat the case,and then finish all the I.D. bearing surfaces,maybe,just maybe they get a usable piece.No friggen way they could ever make a buck selling them here.That square chunk of recycled shit cost more to make and ship than what I want to pay for the case.But hats off to these guys for having the balls to do this,I wish them all the luck in the world.I'm not flaming here at all,just telling it as I see it.Randy
Mild steel doesn't have a high enough carbon content to respond to heat treatment so what you see is what you get. I'd have chosen 4130 chrome moly.

urbanski
12-14-07, 07:19 AM
Mild steel doesn't have a high enough carbon content to respond to heat treatment so what you see is what you get. I'd have chosen 4130 chrome moly.

Flyboy
12-14-07, 09:08 AM
I find it interesting that this particular thread is kinda' providing "expert" advice on how to proceed with the project. (Almost in a negative light):dammit:

But......these guys are the ONLY ones from what I can read that are trying SOMETHING.:cheers::cheers:

Give 'em a chance to succeed (or not). IMHO
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

SuperV_Rob
12-14-07, 10:11 AM
I find it interesting that this particular thread is kinda' providing "expert" advice on how to proceed with the project. (Almost in a negative light):dammit:

But......these guys are the ONLY ones from what I can read that are trying SOMETHING.:cheers::cheers:

:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah: :2thumbs:

The Tony Show
12-14-07, 12:06 PM
I think the important thing here is that even if the mild steel experiment fails, valuable lessons can be learned and applied to a different material.

For the record: I hope you're successful. If it fails the first time, you've got most of the work done and it just comes down to choosing materials.

CTSV_Rob
12-14-07, 12:21 PM
My post was not meant to be negative but just a question about possibly using different materials.

I work in a machine shop as well and one thing I have noticed is when you mill out that much material it will put stress into the part. For large pieces of SST (even Prodec) we usually rough cut the material then send it out to have it annealed to remove any stresses that the initial maching may have put into the part. Once annealed then you can do the finish cut.

Not sure how much the metal will move when you heat treat as I do not have alot of experience with this process.

As with anything that is machined it is a learning process and when you figure it out you will have the "recipe" for making that part successfully. I'm sure there will be a couple of surprises and I sure hope you push through them. Once you have done it, sell the final product but don't give away the recipe, you should profit from it.

Good luck to you and I cannot wait to see the final product.

bjohnso0
12-14-07, 02:18 PM
Build it, you won't regret it. When I started my twin turbo project, there were a bunch of guys trying to give their "expert opinions" on what I was doing wrong. Most of them probably drive bone stock cars and wouldn't know where to start if they wanted to do their own mods. You'll have bumps in the road with this projects, but with some perseverence this will be an awsome project. Besides, getting there is half the fun.

trukk
12-14-07, 04:07 PM
What makes you think there is gonna be more then one (if that)? :stirpot:

Won't get that far:eek:

Lol, haters.:stirpot:

YUP YUP.

I am curious what type of steel it's made out of. Somehow we leaped to milt steel. In this post CG, indicates its' 4140. Perhaps CG or Nutz can chime in the metal type.

(http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/124239-billet-steel-differential-case-update.html#post1310490)

-Chris

Albertan
12-14-07, 04:32 PM
Machining chunks of steel that size is common place in the injection molding industry. I have a small molding shop and I have one mold machined from a solid piece that is 20" x 25 x 12 thick. People make molds from everything from aluminum to tool steel. You just have to know what you are doing. These days some mills run 80,000 rpm or higher and take very small cuts so they do not heat the steel. Most molds are far more precise than what would be required for this rear end.
Machining this prototype will be time consuming/expensive. If everything works out, casting the part and machining to specs would be the way to go to keep prices down.

urbanski
12-14-07, 05:27 PM
i once molded a beer can into a swan

DILLIGAF
12-14-07, 07:36 PM
i once molded a beer can into a swan
Orly?:rtfinger:

thebigjimsho
12-14-07, 07:42 PM
i once molded a beer can into a swanI once molded a steak into a sausage. Well, more than once, actually...

Silver Dollar
12-14-07, 08:29 PM
Quick question, how much that block weigh?

About 3 lbs less than TheBigJimSho's head.

However, they are both almost identical in size and shape.

Silver Dollar
12-14-07, 08:38 PM
Build it, you won't regret it. When I started my twin turbo project, there were a bunch of guys trying to give their "expert opinions" on what I was doing wrong.

You've already screwed up. You should go with 3 turbos.....4 would be better. Made from 4230.

And "nawss". You gotta have "nawss". A 3 stage 400 hp shot.

And for gods sake, run nitrogen in the tires or the whole damn project is a waste.

Oh, one last thing. Get a V1 radar detector. It will add length and girth to your penis.

HiTechRV
12-14-07, 08:44 PM
I once molded a steak into a sausage. Well, more than once, actually...

Actually that's extruding. LMAO.

Custom Gear
12-14-07, 09:15 PM
Gentleman... Gentleman... My goodness!!! :crying2:Do I sense a little negativity here??? Albertan seems to be the only one who knows what heís talking about. This case is nothing compared to the stuff I machine. Of corse the steel is going to move all over when itís machined!!! Iím going to cut out 300 lbs. Of material on this block, Iíve cut 3000 lbs of material out of blocks of steel and held + or - .002 over 80 inches of 3D form.

Itís all in how you process the job.

OOH Yeah. Hey Dill, were not going to heat treat this material, this block of AISI 4140 is already pre hardened to, 27 RC. Thatís the way I bought it. The only property change Iím going to do a stress relieve after ruffing operations are completed. And if it took me 100 Hrs. To machine this thing, Iíd fire :mad2:myself and get a job at K-mart. "30 Hrs. TOPS!!!" This is what I do for A living.:yup:

:cookoo:Hey ozloski, I think you should do some more homework. 4140 has .480% carbon content,4130 has .330%. 4140 has A Tensile Strength (ultimate) of 95,000psi. 4130 has a (ultimate) of 81,200psi. 4140 has 24% Elongation before break. 4130... 21.5% Should I keep going?????

:bomb:I canít believe you guys want to do nothing but criticize what Iím trying to do... TO IMPROVE YOUR DIFFíS!!! And I donít even own a Fín V!!!

Try and have a little FAITH!!!

Nutz
12-14-07, 09:22 PM
Gentleman... Gentleman... My goodness!!! :crying2:Do I sense a little negativity here??? Albertan seems to be the only one who knows what heís talking about. This case is nothing compared to the stuff I machine. Of corse the steel is going to move all over when itís machined!!! Iím going to cut out 300 lbs. Of material on this block, Iíve cut 3000 lbs of material out of blocks of steel and held + or - .002 over 80 inches of 3D form.

OOH Yeah. Hey Dill, were not going to heat treat this material, this block of AISI 4140 is already pre hardened to, 27 RC. Thatís the way I bought it. The only property change Iím going to do a stress relieve after ruffing operations are completed. And if it took me 100 Hrs. To machine this thing, Iíd fire :mad2:myself and get a job at K-mart. "30 Hrs. TOPS!!!" This is what I do for A living.:yup:

:cookoo:Hey ozloski, I think you should do some more homework. 4140 has .480% carbon content,4130 has .330%. 4140 has A Tensile Strength (ultimate) of 95,000psi. 4130 has a (ultimate) of 81,200psi. 4140 has 24% Elongation before break. 4130... 21.5% Should I keep going?????

:bomb:I canít believe you guys want to do nothing but criticize what Iím trying to do... TO IMPROVE YOUR DIFFíS!!! And I donít even own a Fín V!!!

:owned::brutal: :cloud9:

The Tony Show
12-14-07, 09:40 PM
Gentleman... Gentleman... My goodness!!! :crying2:Do I sense a little negativity here??? Albertan seems to be the only one who knows what he’s talking about. This case is nothing compared to the stuff I machine. Of corse the steel is going to move all over when it’s machined!!! I’m going to cut out 300 lbs. Of material on this block, I’ve cut 3000 lbs of material out of blocks of steel and held + or - .002 over 80 inches of 3D form.

It’s all in how you process the job.

OOH Yeah. Hey Dill, were not going to heat treat this material, this block of AISI 4140 is already pre hardened to, 27 RC. That’s the way I bought it. The only property change I’m going to do a stress relieve after ruffing operations are completed. And if it took me 100 Hrs. To machine this thing, I’d fire :mad2:myself and get a job at K-mart. "30 Hrs. TOPS!!!" This is what I do for A living.:yup:

:bomb:I can’t believe you guys want to do nothing but criticize what I’m trying to do... TO IMPROVE YOUR DIFF’S!!! And I don’t even own a F’n V!!!

I have no idea if the science is correct, but that was one hell of a response.

:lol: :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
12-14-07, 09:49 PM

You've already screwed up. You should go with 3 turbos.....4 would be better. Made from 4230.

And for gods sake, run nitrogen in the tires or the whole damn project is a waste.

Oh, one last thing. Get a V1 radar detector. It will add length and girth to your penis.

Try and have a little FAITH!!!Well, I think I've found out why SD is so cranky...

rand49er
12-14-07, 09:56 PM
Isn't 27 Rockwell C pretty hard? Is 30 hours enough to complete the whole project?

Quit posting and get machining! :bouncy:

Custom Gear
12-14-07, 10:14 PM
yeah, It will take more than 30 hrs. to COMPLETE the project. 30 hrs. is the estimated time I'm going to spend in the machine. I'm hoping to work a sat and sun 12hrs. send the ruff machined part out for stress relieve on mon. or tue. then have another 12 hr. day to finish machine. If all goes well. lol

darkman
12-14-07, 10:23 PM
yeah, It will take more than 30 hrs. to COMPLETE the project. 30 hrs. is the estimated time I'm going to spend in the machine. I'm hoping to work a sat and sun 12hrs. send the ruff machined part out for stress relieve on mon. or tue. then have another 12 hr. day to finish machine. If all goes well. lol

Meanwhile back at the ranch - there is simply no telling how many cynical posts this group will create for you to ignore.

SkullV
12-14-07, 10:52 PM
Nutz and Custom you are doing a great job. Keep doing what you are doing because you are pioneers in this field and no matter how your project turns out it is one step closer to a solution. You deserve respect from everyone here and whether or not they are going to admit it they are giving it to you!

2004ctsv
12-14-07, 10:55 PM
Meanwhile back at the ranch

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Granny's beating off the Indians but they still keep comin'

Flyboy
12-14-07, 11:06 PM
Isn't 27 Rockwell C pretty hard?

Actually, I'm pretty hard right now:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers::histeric::histeric: :histeric:

Silver Dollar
12-14-07, 11:23 PM
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Granny's beating off the Indians but they still keep comin'

Say what?

dkozloski
12-15-07, 12:03 AM

4130 can be normalized by heating to a cherry red heat and letting cool in still air, a simple heat treatment. 4140 is more prone to distort and crack with heat treatment. I was suggesting something better than mild steel that the average bear could handle easily. I was a journeyman machinst when I was 17 years old 50 years ago and I 've been in and out of the field ever since, grasshopper.

CTSV_Rob
12-15-07, 03:07 AM

I thought mine was close but the difference is I spelt rough correctly, maybe that's what threw you.

I am behind you 100%, These guys are harmless and this forum may be good for you in that it may thicken up your skin a bit.

relax and I am looking forward to the final piece, Please post pictures for us to :drool: over.

dkozloski
12-15-07, 04:22 AM
I think this is a great project. It's well thought out and ought to produce interesting results. Has anybody thought about approaching the problem from another angle and weld some reinforcing onto the original aluminum housing. Fifty years ago we used to weld a lug on the inside of Ford differential housings so we could screw in an adjustable bolt with a big lump of brass on it that was set for a few thousanths clearance on the back side of the ring gear. When the ring and pinion loaded up and started to separate the ring gear would hit the bolt and it would support it.

It seems to me that if there is a basic weakness in the aluminum housing that reinforcing can be TIG welded onto the outside to beef it up. Careful preheat would reduce warpage. Bearing bores could be welded up and remachined for the correct alignment. Since the housing is cast it has to be a weldable alloy. The very best facility I know of that does this kind of work is Nickson's Machine Shop in Santa Maria, California. These guys have been doing unbelievable work for over 60 years. This place oozes extreme craftsmanship. It would be well worth somebodies time to take a cracked housing to these guys and see if they think they can improve /reinforce it. It would be well worth anybodies time to just take a shop tour and see how it's done by the old school masters.

Another absolutely first class operation is Precision Engineering in Seattle, Washington. These guys also perform machining miracles.

My brother-in-law works for John Deere in Waterloo, Iowa. He makes obsolete parts from billet stock using CNC tooling that were originally made from castings that are no longer available. They bring him a print of a part that hasn't been made for 30 years and he turns it out. He also machines prototypes and makes "impossible parts". Every manufacturer from time to time designs an impossible part that it seems like it just cannot be made by humans and he figures out how to untie these Gordian knots. In my estimation he has the best machine shop job in the world and he makes really good money.

urbanski
12-15-07, 06:55 AM

:nox:

rand49er
12-15-07, 09:41 AM
Actually, I'm pretty hard right now:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers::histeric::histeric: :histeric:Jimmy, you need a date ... :helpless: ... or, get married (again).

Flyboy
12-15-07, 10:37 AM
Randy, I actually have a date Sunday evening....with a female for a change....LOL.

I love the weather here. Can drive the "V" 365 days a year.

trukk
12-15-07, 09:41 PM

Coincidentely, they both have the same personality too.

Meanwhile back at the ranch - there is simply no telling how many cynical posts this group will create for you to ignore.

LOL, yup, yup.

-Chris

thebigjimsho
12-16-07, 01:32 AM
Coincidentely, they both have the same personality too.

-ChrisC'mon...How would you be if you spent all day in NY/NJ traffic, rolling into Southern VA at around 3AM, only to get up at 6AM to spend a day changing tires and brakes and baking my ass all day while driving around a 4 mile track I've never seen before??

I'd say I was Prattin' brilliant considering...

thebigjimsho
12-16-07, 01:34 AM
Meanwhile back at the ranch - there is simply no telling how many cynical posts this group will create for you to ignore.How should we be? For 4 years, we've heard about supposed fixes that either don't work or never get going. Even from "reputable" outfits.

We all WANT this to happen. We just know better that for some reason or another, it probably won't...

rand49er
12-16-07, 07:27 AM
How should we be? For 4 years, we've heard about supposed fixes that either don't work or never get going. Even from "reputable" outfits.

We all WANT this to happen. We just know better that for some reason or another, it probably won't...Yeah, this'll make close to a half dozen or thereabouts. Not easy, apparently. Plan G might be getting the '09 to adapt.

Hey, Jimmy! Still got that ... er-r ... woody? Today's the day for your date! :highfive: You gotta stop eating those little blue pills ... they're not M&M's you know. :suspense:

darkman
12-16-07, 10:57 AM
How should we be?

Ignored.

thebigjimsho
12-16-07, 01:16 PM
Ignored.Good point. p00f, no more darkman...

JonCR96Z
12-16-07, 01:21 PM
Good point. p00f, no more darkman...

I normally try to ignore your posts as well, but this one is a good one. :thepan:

urbanski
12-16-07, 02:13 PM
Good point. p00f, no more darkman...

:kari:

UnsafeAtAnySpd
12-16-07, 04:00 PM
I think this is a great project. It's well thought out and ought to produce interesting results. Has anybody thought about approaching the problem from another angle and weld some reinforcing onto the original aluminum housing. Fifty years ago we used to weld a lug on the inside of Ford differential housings so we could screw in an adjustable bolt with a big lump of brass on it that was set for a few thousanths clearance on the back side of the ring gear. When the ring and pinion loaded up and started to separate the ring gear would hit the bolt and it would support it.

It seems to me that if there is a basic weakness in the aluminum housing that reinforcing can be TIG welded onto the outside to beef it up. Careful preheat would reduce warpage. Bearing bores could be welded up and remachined for the correct alignment. Since the housing is cast it has to be a weldable alloy. The very best facility I know of that does this kind of work is Nickson's Machine Shop in Santa Maria, California. These guys have been doing unbelievable work for over 60 years. This place oozes extreme craftsmanship. It would be well worth somebodies time to take a cracked housing to these guys and see if they think they can improve /reinforce it. It would be well worth anybodies time to just take a shop tour and see how it's done by the old school masters.

Another absolutely first class operation is Precision Engineering in Seattle, Washington. These guys also perform machining miracles.

My brother-in-law works for John Deere in Waterloo, Iowa. He makes obsolete parts from billet stock using CNC tooling that were originally made from castings that are no longer available. They bring him a print of a part that hasn't been made for 30 years and he turns it out. He also machines prototypes and makes "impossible parts". Every manufacturer from time to time designs an impossible part that it seems like it just cannot be made by humans and he figures out how to untie these Gordian knots. In my estimation he has the best machine shop job in the world and he makes really good money.

Maybe I'll have to break mine and take it over there. I live in Santa Maria.

ZEUSROTTY
12-16-07, 07:36 PM
:owned::brutal: :cloud9:

i second that... seriously... if the dude wants to try. why all the bull shit?

ZEUSROTTY
12-16-07, 07:40 PM
4130 can be normalized by heating to a cherry red heat and letting cool in still air, a simple heat treatment. 4140 is more prone to distort and crack with heat treatment. I was suggesting something better than mild steel that the average bear could handle easily. I was a journeyman machinst when I was 17 years old 50 years ago and I 've been in and out of the field ever since, grasshopper.

so you must be one of the guys that machined the first wheel?:highfive:

urbanski
12-16-07, 08:22 PM

:haha:

Silver Dollar
12-16-07, 11:44 PM

Actually, Koz started the first fire.

His son machined the first wheel.

BigJimSho invented the first tweel.

trukk
12-17-07, 12:12 PM
C'mon...How would you be if you spent all day in NY/NJ traffic, rolling into Southern VA at around 3AM, only to get up at 6AM to spend a day changing tires and brakes and baking my ass all day while driving around a 4 mile track I've never seen before??

I'd say I was Prattin' brilliant considering...

I keed, I keed :D

How should we be? For 4 years, we've heard about supposed fixes that either don't work or never get going. Even from "reputable" outfits.

We all WANT this to happen. We just know better that for some reason or another, it probably won't...

This is very true. Doesn't exuse people for acting up, but it is the cause.

-Chris

The Tony Show
12-17-07, 01:32 PM
I think people are tempering their expectations considering past failures.

It's a lot easier to say "I told you so" than to get your hopes up and be disappointed in the end.

urbanski
12-17-07, 04:03 PM
OP noted on another forum "Updates will now happen here first. Thanks."

so why should i leave this open?

trukk
12-17-07, 04:11 PM

I vote keep it open. Closing this thread will just add to the draaama. Try and take the high road Urby.

-Chris

JimmyH
12-17-07, 04:20 PM

Because before we worry about how good the ride is, we want to know what the price of admission will be.

I estimate custom jobs all the time, and I still have not scene even a ballpark price either here or on "the other forum" (that grand old forum.) Is anyone really going to pay $thousands for a steel diff case that still needs guts? I still wish them luck though.

trukk
12-17-07, 04:25 PM
Because before we worry about how good the ride is, we want to know what the price of admission will be.

I estimate custom jobs all the time, and I still have not scene even a ballpark price either here or on "the other forum" (that grand old forum.) Is anyone really going to pay $thousands for a steel diff case that still needs guts? I still wish them luck though.

Just FYI, you can get the quaife 'guts' for 1.5K.

-Chris

JimmyH
12-17-07, 04:35 PM
I think I shall stick with my ?diff? and drive like a normal person. You guys play how you want, and I wish you well.

The Tony Show
12-17-07, 04:44 PM
The OP is overreacting to some legitimate questions and some (admittedly) premature bashing- let's not compound the problem by overreacting to their overreaction. LS1tech has 1/1000th of the CTS owners that this site does, and Custom Gear would be foolish to concentrate on that forum simply because no one over there intends to purchase and therefore bothers to ask any questions.

Custom Gear- A lot of people are watching this thread silently, and even those asking questions or doubting obviously have interest in the results- otherwise, they wouldn't be posting. This is the largest and best Cadillac forum on the Internet, and I highly recommend you work WITH the folks here through the process. Your potential returns on this one web site far exceed those of every other Cadillac site on the 'net combined.

Again, good luck with the project.

RightTurn
12-17-07, 04:46 PM
:golf clap: for Derfwad.

urbanski
12-17-07, 04:51 PM
The OP is overreacting to some legitimate questions and some (admittedly) premature bashing

the OP could have asked here what the deal was, instead of siding with known retard 04FLA

RightTurn
12-17-07, 04:55 PM
Been winning at roulette, urb? :alchi:

The Tony Show
12-17-07, 04:57 PM
I hear ya, but he doesn't know 04fla is a 'tard, or quite fathom the enormity of this forum. Such knowledge is obvious to us, but I can understand how a newcomer would feel more accepted over there. When a forum only has two new posts a day, you don't run into too much criticism. :)

I say take it easy on the new guy, especially since he's going to (possibly) provide a service to the community.

trukk
12-17-07, 04:57 PM
The OP is overreacting to some legitimate questions and some (admittedly) premature bashing- let's not compound the problem by overreacting to their overreaction. LS1tech has 1/1000th of the CTS owners that this site does, and Custom Gear would be foolish to concentrate on that forum simply because no one over there intends to purchase and therefore bothers to ask any questions.

Custom Gear- A lot of people are watching this thread silently, and even those asking questions or doubting obviously have interest in the results- otherwise, they wouldn't be posting. This is the largest and best Cadillac forum on the Internet, and I highly recommend you work WITH the folks here through the process. Your potential returns on this one web site far exceed those of every other Cadillac site on the 'net combined.

Again, good luck with the project.

Wow, I agree with Tony on two posts in two forums in one day. Sign of iminent appocalypse?

-Chris

urbanski
12-17-07, 05:09 PM
I hear ya, but he doesn't know 04fla is a 'tard, or quite fathom the enormity of this forum. Such knowledge is obvious to us, but I can understand how a newcomer would feel more accepted over there. When a forum only has two new posts a day, you don't run into too much criticism. :)

I say take it easy on the new guy, especially since he's going to (possibly) provide a service to the community.

latching onto 04 after post 7, then sticking with him after post 15 just surprises me.
04 isnt banned here, nor is blee, never been. ranting maniacs scaring somebody away from here??? before you even ask here what the deal is???
makes no sense actually. whatever. good luck OP

Washin
12-17-07, 05:11 PM

Lock it down and prove him right.:annoyed:

vetteboy2k
12-17-07, 09:07 PM
I agree locking the thread is not what this forum is about, nor what the forum should be about. We are all here to learn and help others progress and talk about mods and problems we see to help other V owners in time of need.

People need to stop letting their feelings get involved in topics and just post informative information. If people want to get involved in conversations thats what the telephone, IM, PM or OFF TOPIC discussion is for. IMO

dkozloski
12-17-07, 09:17 PM
One of the first tasks I had was machining wheel weights for a Caterpillar road grader.

JimmyH
12-17-07, 09:23 PM
i bet Cat could have made a sturdy V diff

CTSV_Rob
12-17-07, 10:47 PM
^^ Probably would have weighed more then the V though... :D

CTSV_Rob
12-17-07, 10:47 PM
Maybe came with an optional bucket loader too.

theloanman219
12-17-07, 11:39 PM
I say give him a sticky for a while till its done. Give the new guy a chance. Like Tony said, he doesn't know the bad from the good yet. But, he will soon find out. If he is looking to market it this is the place. The other forum is good but they are more into the F-Body's. (which is cool)

We need go easy on him. He is looking to add to our performance.

Gene

Jon
12-17-07, 11:52 PM
I haven't read every single post here, but why is everyone so negative?

Us V guys have been asking for a better diff for YEARS. Finally, one guy comes and tries to do something at a reasonable price, and the majority of the feedback is negative. WHY?! He's trying to develop a solution and we kick him in the balls; what gives??

theloanman219
12-17-07, 11:57 PM
well Jon many times people go overboard (which is all in good fun) with the ball busting. The other forum got a hold of the ball busting and now it's a big thing.

Jon
12-18-07, 12:02 AM
well Jon many times people go overboard (which is all in good fun) with the ball busting. The other forum got a hold of the ball busting and now it's a big thing.
People need to remember that this guy is actually trying to help.

Mystical_Ice
12-18-07, 12:04 AM
yeah well it's still a big thing.

i'm starting to think that some people here are no better than the snobs from the mercedes, BMW, and porsche forums. :-/

theloanman219
12-18-07, 12:04 AM
I understand. And im sure he is putting a lot of money out to do this. And we all like to have fun. We do have to remember that they new guys don't know our sense of humor though. With that said good luck on the rear and keep us posted.

Gene

JimmyH
12-18-07, 01:04 AM
I haven't read every single post here, but why is everyone so negative?

Us V guys have been asking for a better diff for YEARS. Finally, one guy comes and tries to do something at a reasonable price, and the majority of the feedback is negative. WHY?! He's trying to develop a solution and we kick him in the balls; what gives??

not all of us, I hope he succeeds, I do really

I just know what it is going to cost, and I cannot see anybody except mod-hellers like Rob buying one.

dkozloski
12-18-07, 01:34 AM
Maybe I'll have to break mine and take it over there. I live in Santa Maria.
Go over to 914 W. Betteravia Rd. and ask for a tour. It'll be well worth your time.

urbanski
12-18-07, 07:18 AM
I say give him a sticky for a while till its done. Give the new guy a chance. Like Tony said, he doesn't know the bad from the good yet. But, he will soon find out. If he is looking to market it this is the place. The other forum is good but they are more into the F-Body's. (which is cool)

We need go easy on him. He is looking to add to our performance.

Gene

stickies get ignored. we stuck that "50 cent hop fix" but that died a quick, unproven death

JimmyH
12-18-07, 01:10 PM
stickies get ignored.

:yup:

especially when they fill half the first page like alot of forums

thebigjimsho
12-18-07, 06:34 PM
Please, no one here was vicious. Sarcastic? Sure, and for good reason. If any poster can't handle that, then they're wussbags. If a business owner can't hack it, then they're not very good at business.

The Tony Show
12-18-07, 06:35 PM
I'm just waiting for some pics already.

Custom Gear
12-18-07, 08:20 PM
The Pics Are Comming!!! Actually Were Going Do Some Filming.
The Company I Work For Is Shut Down Between Christmas And New Year. That's When I'm Going To Cut This Damn Thing!!! Get-errr-done
Please Keep Posting Whatever You Feel!! Constructive Criticism, Destructive Criticism, What Ever You Got... Bring It On!!!
This Thing Is Gonna Happen With It Or Without It. Were Gonna Stuff It In A "v" And Beat The Shit Out Of It.(were Gonna Film That Too) I've Never Tried To Sell You Guys Anything!!!! I Simply Said "would Anybody Be Interested If I Made A Couple More"
I Think It Would Be Cool To Make A Few Of These. But We Godda Make A Good One First!!! And It Has To Work. I Feel Confident That It Will!! I Can See A Lot Of You Don't Think It Will. And That's Fine!!!
That Makes Me More Determined And Driven To Succeed!!!

thebigjimsho
12-18-07, 09:01 PM
The Pics Are Comming!!! Actually Were Going Do Some Filming.
The Company I Work For Is Shut Down Between Christmas And New Year. That's When I'm Going To Cut This Damn Thing!!! Get-errr-done
Please Keep Posting Whatever You Feel!! Constructive Criticism, Destructive Criticism, What Ever You Got... Bring It On!!!
This Thing Is Gonna Happen With It Or Without It. Were Gonna Stuff It In A "v" And Beat The Shit Out Of It.(were Gonna Film That Too) I've Never Tried To Sell You Guys Anything!!!! I Simply Said "would Anybody Be Interested If I Made A Couple More"
I Think It Would Be Cool To Make A Few Of These. But We Godda Make A Good One First!!! And It Has To Work. I Feel Confident That It Will!! I Can See A Lot Of You Don't Think It Will. And That's Fine!!!
That Makes Me More Determined And Driven To Succeed!!!Dude, first, CAPS OFF. Second, we WANT it to work. We've just seen too many broken promises from very reputable companies, tis all. You make it work, you will have many an excited boys, bringing money and, in some cases, sexual favors. Not me, I stick with cash...

CTSV_Rob
12-18-07, 09:14 PM
not all of us, I hope he succeeds, I do really

I just know what it is going to cost, and I cannot see anybody except mod-hellers like Rob buying one.
Oops, Getting a reputation it looks like.

Give me an excuse to pump my V up! To me life is all about torque and the more the car will let me have the happier I will be. I really want to see what kind of abuse the ol' T56 can take...

heavymetals
12-18-07, 09:23 PM
Yeah you should be so lucky to get to a point where the T56 is the weak link.:histeric:

CTSV_Rob
12-18-07, 09:43 PM
I can dream can't I? :D

StealthV
12-19-07, 01:22 AM
One of the first tasks I had was machining wheel weights for a Caterpillar road grader.

Most excellent! The proper name is a Cat motor grader. And on a related note, we don't make bulldozers; they're track-type tractors.

Use Cat when referring to our machines, parts, etc. Caterpillar itself is the enterprise, not a machine.

And why yes, I am the Caterpillar Brand Polizei. :)

Order your holiday gifts now (http://www.shopcaterpillar.com/caterpillar/default.asp?regnID=na&WT.mc_id=catcom_homefeature_merchandise). :thumbsup:

rand49er
12-19-07, 07:57 AM
... a Cat motor grader. ...Reading quickly, I thought Rick said, "Cat crate motor."

JimmyH
12-19-07, 02:03 PM
Oops, Getting a reputation it looks like.

Give me an excuse to pump my V up! To me life is all about torque and the more the car will let me have the happier I will be. I really want to see what kind of abuse the ol' T56 can take...

eventually, that sig will be a reality

CTSV_Rob
12-19-07, 09:51 PM
Na, More for the Sleeper look until the Hood is lifted. :D

thebigjimsho
12-19-07, 10:04 PM
What's the 411?

dkozloski
12-20-07, 02:43 PM
Most excellent! The proper name is a Cat motor grader. And on a related note, we don't make bulldozers; they're track-type tractors.

Use Cat when referring to our machines, parts, etc. Caterpillar itself is the enterprise, not a machine.

And why yes, I am the Caterpillar Brand Polizei. :)

Order your holiday gifts now (http://www.shopcaterpillar.com/caterpillar/default.asp?regnID=na&WT.mc_id=catcom_homefeature_merchandise). :thumbsup:
You need to talk to an oldtimer at Caterpillar tractor company, now Caterpillar, inc. It was a CATERPILLAR No.12 Motor Grader. That's what it said on the side of it and what was written on the parts book. This CAT thing is what the kiddies that run the place call it now. That naming convention has only been around for twenty years or so. For that matter, when I was a kid there were still a lot of machines around that said Holt on them. Come around and tell me all about it when YOU can build a level road with an RD8 with a cable blade. In fact, I'm betting you couldn't get it started. I'll bet you couldn't get the pony motor started.

dkozloski
12-20-07, 02:45 PM
By the way, what the hell happened to the steel differential housing? Did it turn to vapor or just chips?

urbanski
12-20-07, 02:46 PM
:haha:

heavymetals
12-20-07, 04:09 PM
By the way, what the hell happened to the steel differential housing? Did it turn to vapor or just chips?

Be nice..

CG said he is gonna hog it out over the Xmas holidays.

Will be neat to see the video (and the piece).

JimmyH
12-20-07, 04:39 PM
I am anxious to see if it happens. I am not buying one, but it will be fun to see people finally able to run a heavily modded V without risking the rear.

Washin
12-20-07, 04:43 PM
It's like getting a X-mas gift, but instead of a chunk of coal it's a block of steel. :yup:

trukk
12-20-07, 05:14 PM
....This CAT thing is what the kiddies that run the place call it now. That naming convention has only been around for twenty years or so. For that matter, when I was a kid....

....Dirt was new....

-Chris

urbanski
12-20-07, 05:21 PM
ahah

dkozloski
12-20-07, 05:53 PM
....Dirt was new....

-Chris
And it was fun to play in. I only had one toy, a sand box, and I had to share it with the cat.

heavymetals
12-20-07, 07:32 PM
If you haven't read this yet:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071220/FREE/735513721/1023/latestnews

From the article: "billet-machined steel limited-slip differential housing."

:duck:

One reason why the thing is gonna be over $100k....

HiTechRV
12-20-07, 09:56 PM
WOW - That kind of validates the approach of a billet steel diff!!!

VDiddy
12-21-07, 10:23 AM
Yeah, this will be interesting to see, I guess I'll just have to wait for Santa to hog out my rear over Christmas. :-)

thebigjimsho
12-21-07, 12:32 PM
Yeah, this will be interesting to see, I guess I'll just have to wait for Santa to hog out my rear over Christmas. :-)Nope, just too easy...

RightTurn
12-21-07, 12:35 PM
SD will be all over it. :coffee:

thebigjimsho
12-21-07, 12:47 PM
SD will be all over it. :coffee:Most

Awesomest

Evahhh!!!

The Tony Show
12-21-07, 12:51 PM
When you consider that "hog" is an oft used slang term for a guy's trouser snake, that comment is even more hilarious.

As Jim said- too easy. :lol:

RightTurn
12-21-07, 12:52 PM
Most

Awesomest

Evahhh!!!

Quitit, ur making me blush. :coffee:

Nutz
12-21-07, 04:55 PM
:cool2:
WOW - That kind of validates the approach of a billet steel diff!!!

heavymetals
12-21-07, 05:02 PM
Wait till you see what it costs.

Flyboy
12-21-07, 05:54 PM
Billet steel for the '09 Vette, eh? Maybe these guys are "on to something" with this program.

VDiddy
12-22-07, 11:48 AM
Doesn't Doug's traction kit with the C3 center section solve the hop/traction problem for a mere $6500? If you've done this mod, please chime in.

Big Bad V
12-22-07, 12:21 PM
Doug is out of business for now. Hopefully he gets back on his feet and get some rears on our cars. In the meantime I am very interested in this project.

dkozloski
12-23-07, 11:27 PM
Bump; this thread is always good for a few laughs.

JimmyH
12-24-07, 12:32 AM
oops

stkshkr
12-24-07, 12:40 PM
Doesn't Doug's traction kit with the C3 center section solve the hop/traction problem for a mere $6500? If you've done this mod, please chime in.

It sure does!

Nutz
12-24-07, 07:13 PM
Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Rear !:xgrin:

Silver Dollar
12-24-07, 11:10 PM
Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Rear !:xgrin:

That's what he says..............

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/startracks/071029/richard_simmons.jpg

Florian
12-25-07, 12:48 AM
SD's boytoy...how cute.

F

JimmyH
12-25-07, 01:59 AM
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/startracks/071029/richard_simmons.jpg

^^This block of steel is about to become the first ever...

Nutz
12-26-07, 11:10 PM
New steel diff is taking shape. Have short video clips of tooling. Can I upload a ".MOV" file? Or should I post it to youtube and offer a link?

Edit... Decided to do the youtube way.

Simulation
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pPjShy0Fobk

Actual Diff in CNC
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iFgI6Ex1-5U

Custom is incredibly talented!!... And clearly devoted to this project.

RightTurn
12-26-07, 11:50 PM
Decided to do the youtube way. New steel diff is taking shape. Have short video clips of tooling. Can I upload a ".MOV" file? Or should I post it to youtube and offer a link?

Post to youtube. :thumbsup:

Custom Gear
12-27-07, 12:26 AM
5 hrs. and about 80 lbs. for the first day!!!!
more to come!!

CTSV_Rob
12-27-07, 12:38 AM
Looking good!

JimmyH
12-27-07, 12:59 AM
All rob is thinking right now is "how can i get enough horsepower to shatter a steel diff?"

CTSV_Rob
12-27-07, 01:29 AM
Hmmmm....

Sounds good to me!

54inches
12-27-07, 02:25 AM
Beefy!

Washin
12-27-07, 12:16 PM
Looks great. Just what Santa ordered. Keep us posted.:2thumbs:

The Tony Show
12-27-07, 12:20 PM
Shiny.

trukk
12-27-07, 12:59 PM
Keep us updated!

<GOLF CLAP>

-Chris

heavymetals
12-27-07, 02:25 PM
I hope you keep a video log of build and assembly.

That is some science project.

1FASTSS
12-27-07, 04:55 PM
Yeah, this will be interesting to see, I guess I'll just have to wait for Santa to hog out my rear over Christmas. :-)

Now that santa has cum and gone hows your rear:D

CTSV_Rob
12-27-07, 04:56 PM
Now that santa has cum and gone hows your rear
:suspect:

Nutz
12-27-07, 05:39 PM
2nd day. Custom has once again worked ALL DAY (Fueled by Maxwell House) relentlessly on the diff with nothing but great things to say about production!

The pics I have are with minimal lighting and not very helpful. But I will try to post some video this evening.

Still looking for a bushing encapsulated with upgraded urethane... Does anyone have one to offer?? If not, please send me someone highly recommended so I can purchase one. BMR??

Also if anyone has some information on diff lubricant: Normal operating temperature, and peak temperature. This will help in effectively testing the steel unit in my car.

Next will be a request for a suggested oil cooler to use with it, we have of course incorporated tapped locations for fittings.

Nutz
12-27-07, 06:48 PM
Here's a good pic. For those of you that have broken the cheesy loop that holds the pinion support bushing (like me), here's one with GIRTH!

:rock:

Flyboy
12-27-07, 09:55 PM
I really like what I'm seeing with this project.......can't wait for the final test(s)..........

The Tony Show
12-27-07, 10:11 PM
I've got a Kleenex ready for when the price gets posted. Several possible uses depending on the number.

Florian
12-28-07, 12:41 PM
2nd day. Custom has once again worked ALL DAY (Fueled by Maxwell House) relentlessly on the diff with nothing but great things to say about production!

The pics I have are with minimal lighting and not very helpful. But I will try to post some video this evening.

Still looking for a bushing encapsulated with upgraded urethane... Does anyone have one to offer?? If not, please send me someone highly recommended so I can purchase one. BMR??

Also if anyone has some information on diff lubricant: Normal operating temperature, and peak temperature. This will help in effectively testing the steel unit in my car.

Next will be a request for a suggested oil cooler to use with it, we have of course incorporated tapped locations for fittings.

Heres the fluid needs:
Three quarts of #12378261 GM Synthetic Axle Lube SAE 75W-90
One 4 oz. bottle of #1052358 Limited Slip Axle Lubricant Additive (thanks to Reed @ Cadillacfaq.com for the info)

The normal op temp that I recall was in the 195-210 range...that stuff was always hot coming out during post 'new rear' breakin.

Hope that helps.

F

CTSV_Rob
12-28-07, 12:54 PM
Heres the fluid needs:
Three quarts of #12378261 GM Synthetic Axle Lube SAE 75W-90

Slight correction:
Differential, Rear..........2.7 pints (1.5 quarts)

I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 Synthetic EP Lubricant:
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

And the additive:
https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/ada.aspx

At 11K and diff is as quiet as a church mouse.

Flyboy
12-28-07, 01:44 PM
Rob.....

Even though my signature shows a decent 1/4 mile run, I REALLY usual drive like a little ole' lady. I'm on my third (and it's noisy) diff. I don't do any clutch dumps or burn outs. How do you drive? I'm just curious, maybe you got a "good one." Thanks

ZEUSROTTY
12-28-07, 01:47 PM
good read... cant wait to see it done...

Florian
12-28-07, 01:48 PM
Slight correction:
Differential, Rear..........2.7 pints (1.5 quarts)

I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 Synthetic EP Lubricant:
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

And the additive:
https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/ada.aspx

At 11K and diff is as quiet as a church mouse.

True...I just copy/pasted from cadillacfaq.com. Good catch.

F

CTSV_Rob
12-28-07, 01:49 PM
07 Diff and I drive it like I stole it.

But Seriously, I don't do clutch dumps but once she's hooked up I nail the throttle. Now I do get the occasional spin in 2nd and 3rd.

I do not baby it but I don't abuse it either.

Maybe luck, Maybe driving style, Maybe Because I change the fluid every 6K, Maybe it's because I use Amsoil...

Who really knows why it's held up but I am happy it has so far.

CTSV_Rob
12-28-07, 01:51 PM
True...I just copy/pasted from cadillacfaq.com. Good catch.

F
No prob, easy mistake. I wonder if Reed can correct the Faq for us?

CTSV_Rob
12-28-07, 01:51 PM
Is he still around?

thebigjimsho
12-28-07, 02:25 PM
I miss Reed...

Nutz
12-28-07, 07:23 PM
Once again Custom has spent an entire day from sunrise to sunset! Here are 2 shots. One of the animated screenshot and the other shot is the actual diff to match. The RH rear mount ear is the block on top ready for machining.
Oh and for the record, in case you can't tell by my avatar or my videos in my public profile, I am very good at testing a vehicle's ability to handle abuse... I am looking forward to stress testing this diff.:hammer:
Thanks for the help on Fluid temps!
Still need pinion support bushing and cooler suggestions!

Sticky??? :Poke:

Ak Jim
12-29-07, 03:14 AM
I think one of the downfalls of the diff is how little fluid it holds. Any extra capacity would be an improvement.

Washin
12-29-07, 08:13 PM
Bump, for any updates?

JimmyH
12-29-07, 10:40 PM
I think Reed is actually working for a living these days, and travelling IIRC

Custom Gear
12-29-07, 11:17 PM
The toughest part is now done!!!! everything came out very good!!! (so far)
the oil gallies were a bitch!!! 5.722in. deep with a 1/2" dia. bullnose endmill!!!
took about 9 hrs. to complete. tomorow the pinion bore and pinion support bore and 7 m8 x 1.25 taps and were good to go!!!!

have a great weekend and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

SuperV_Rob
12-29-07, 11:38 PM
I don't know anything about your business but I cannot let it go without saying that I have watched this block of metal become what appears to be a beautiful work of art :thumbsup: I believe that even at this stage congratulations are in order :cheers:

The toughest part is now done!!!! everything came out very good!!! (so far)
the oil gallies were a bitch!!! 5.722in. deep with a 1/2" dia. bullnose endmill!!!
took about 9 hrs. to complete. tomorow the pinion bore and pinion support bore and 7 m8 x 1.25 taps and were good to go!!!!

have a great weekend and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Flyboy
12-30-07, 12:48 AM
I believe that even at this stage congratulations are in order

Nutz
12-30-07, 02:03 AM
I am so psyched at this point! Just seeing this not only become a reality, but as it was mentioned, become A TRUE PIECE OF ART! Custom has gone yet another entire day of his own time during a holiday break for this project.:worship:

I am now already watching the weather here in Cleveland to see my opportunity for test miles. This time of year here is really messy with salty roads or usually snowing alot.

VDiddy
12-30-07, 10:29 AM
Congrats indeed!!! How much does it weigh compared to the factory housing? Are u going to heat treat it? I may postpone the wife's liposuction to buy one. This is the gift that will keep on giving whereas the liposuction is like trimming the fat off a bad steak that bitches at u while it lies steaming on a plate. :-)

Flyboy
12-30-07, 11:01 AM
liposuction is like trimming the fat off a bad steak
:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Did that with the last wife.....now someone else is "enjoying" my investment.
:abuse::abuse::abuse:

Spend the dollars on the new diff.....IMHO

Nutz
12-30-07, 11:27 AM
Regarding liposuction. It reminds me of my favorite sayings: "You can't polish a turd". Think of the V as much like the wife, it runs really good and it would be nice to drive it every day, but the rear end has to be quality.:alchi:
As for how much it weighs. It is appearing to be lighter than we predicted. Not done cutting metal off yet and drilling, but at least 400 lbs. have been removed of of the near 530 lb. block! Heat treating is definatelty being considered, but probably not on the first one though.

VDiddy
12-30-07, 12:18 PM
This may be a really dumb question but you have to consider that I know nothing about differentials. Is it possible to put Ford 9" guts inside of a custom case that would fit the V's external mounting points?

Nutz
12-30-07, 12:37 PM
This may be a really dumb question but you have to consider that I know nothing about differentials. Is it possible to put Ford 9" guts inside of a custom case that would fit the V's external mounting points?

This project is primarily being done to address CASE FAILURE and it's mounting locations. Attempts at hybrid differentials are already out there, and some are still running in cars successfully. This is a different approach.

VDiddy
12-30-07, 12:53 PM
I guess that brings up another question, do most people break their cases when they're talking about 'blowing up' their rearends or is it the internals that go?

Washin
12-30-07, 02:13 PM
What is the ETA of the first billet CTS-V rears completion? :sneaky:

trukk
12-30-07, 03:04 PM

I guess that brings up another question, do most people break their cases when they're talking about 'blowing up' their rearends or is it the internals that go?

The catistrophic failures have mostly (?all?) been case fractures. I don't recall seeing any pics of busted teeth on the ring or pinion. The 'howl/whine' domes from the defection of the weak case, the fact that the whole thing moves around so much due to the bushings attaching it to the cradle, and then fially by the suspension geometry and poor bushings connecting the cradle to the frame of the car (whihc induces wheelhop, which puts the @ss smack on the DIFF's).

Both Quaife and Torsen make replacement differential inards, which should be stronger than stock. I'm not sure this would be needed in most peoples application, as I think the bilet case would work pretty weel with the stock bits inside.

I guess the ultimate setup would be the billet case, with Quaife/Torsen internals, replacement differential bushings (come on UUC!!!), replacing as many of the softer bushings in the rest of the suspension (GM Racing Upper sway bars with hardened bushings, BMR toe and trailing arms), doing something about the cradle bushings (they have to be burned out so no one has really done a swap of those that I'm aware of), or installing some form of cradle brace (a la BMR AWHK, or KARS Cradle kit). You'd then need to beef up the half shafts (to at least the bigger '06+ ones). I would HOPE that setup would be enough to shift what breaks in the drive line somewhere else.

Watching this and waiting (and hoping it works).

-Chris

Nutz
12-30-07, 03:15 PM
What is the ETA of the first billet CTS-V rears completion? :sneaky:
Based on the huge amount of time and labor that Custom has devoted so far, and all continues to go smooth, I hope to be mounting this in my car in the next few weeks. All the internals are sitting on the bench next to the CNC machine ready for reassembly in the new housing. :bouncy:

replacement differential bushings (come on UUC!!!)

54inches
12-30-07, 08:11 PM
What would something like that cost?

The Tony Show
12-30-07, 09:12 PM
What would something like that cost?

The magic question.

Unfortunately, we are now in the phase where we nibble at the hook. Once it's installed and proven to be able to handle launches (if that happens), then the price comes.

54inches
12-30-07, 10:10 PM
Nutz, CG how much was the bare block, if you do not want to post here PM me. :)

Nutz, What are your track times in the car right now?

Thanks!

Don't mind the haters!

lunarx
12-31-07, 02:17 AM
How many machine bits were sacraficed to cut that diff.
That might give us a clue to the price. :bonkers:

thebigjimsho
12-31-07, 02:32 AM
Don't mind the haters!Again, you're enabling whining. No one here is hating. We all want a solution that works. Just because we've seen a lot of unfulfilled promises and have questions, we're haters? Give it a break already...

54inches
12-31-07, 02:51 AM
Again, you're enabling whining. No one here is hating. We all want a solution that works. Just because we've seen a lot of unfulfilled promises and have questions, we're haters? Give it a break already...

Well it sounds like you are feeling guilty.

I did not call you out, so why are you calling me out there Ron Burgundy?:D

Sounds like a Hater is Crawfishing. <----Now that is calling someone out.......

I cannot wait to see this thing bolted up and breaking shit!

urbanski
12-31-07, 07:32 AM
Well it sounds like you are feeling guilty.

dont start trouble.

Nutz
12-31-07, 10:22 AM
Nutz, CG how much was the bare block, if you do not want to post here PM me. :)

Nutz, What are your track times in the car right now?

Thanks!

Don't mind the haters!
My car is bone stock with resonator removed and Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers. I feel that it's necessary to test this FIRST on a stock car, and should something fail than it surely is a dud. Performance parts can take place rather quickly if I wish to turn up the heat on stress. I don't want to get into details here but I have many resources available to me here in Cleveland to make the car fast and reliable (I'm quite experienced at doing that).
Price? Well it would be foolish at this time to discuss price until this process has run it's course and I'm done spending on this first one. Rest assured, I am spending WHATEVER it takes to build this one at any cost, and will review all my options and opportunities thereafter. Believe me, if this first one works I am very well aware of the need, and fully capable to provide. I am a car guy like alot of you.
As for the complaining, I think we have been on track quite well here for the last couple weeks, and let's keep it that way! Everybody has had some nice things to say lately, and that's what keeps me around. :rant2:
Note: Check out the amount of views and replies! THAT is why this post needs to stay on the subject!
Once again. PROPS FOR CUSTOM GEAR! He is a non-stop driving force to provide a reality to my dream. :bows:THANKS CUSTOM!! :worship:

Flyboy
12-31-07, 10:42 AM
Note: Check out the amount of views and replies! THAT is why this post needs to stay on the subject!

:yeah::yeah::yeah:

I will try to say this "tactfully".......there are a lot of "experts" in this thread (I guess, including me) with advice. I personally feel these guys are on the right track. None of us like Getrag. But, these guys have been around for a long, long time. I think they "usually" make a quality part. I'm guessing here, 'cause I don't know.....GM may have asked for the diff case to be aluminium for weight savings....just a guess. I feel the "innards" are top quality parts. Why would I say that? I have very loud whining and the "grinding" while turning slow.....VERY LOUD. My dealership is going to warranty the diff next week....(I'm out of town right now). I drained the fluid a couple of days ago to "see" what's up. It came out "clear".....by that I mean no contamination or anything. It had about 2000 miles of "whining and grinding" on it. So, I'm feeling the weak case has "shifted" somehow, causing this "noise".....I think when these guys finish a case that holds its "shape" the diff will start holding up the way it was designed. Ok I'm done.

The Tony Show
12-31-07, 11:11 AM
....and I'm all for that, as long as it's cost effective. If pointing out the fact that this is probably going to be expensive as shit is "hating", then I suppose I'm a hater. I've got warranty until 2010 to take care of the aluminum diff, but if this comes in reasonably priced then I may upgrade.

The OP shouldn't expect a whole forum full of sycophants until it's priced right and proven to be an improvement, though.

Flyboy
12-31-07, 11:22 AM
I had to look that word up......sycophants......are you smart???? LOL

"A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people"

That should be "word of the day".......Good Job

Happy New Year to all of us.

rand49er
12-31-07, 11:39 AM
... cost ...

... price ...

Price and cost have nothing to do with each other ... EXCEPT when it's on a "cost-plus-a-percentage" basis.

Otherwise, it's what the market will bear, and that's us.

Nothing wrong with it, too. It's business, pure and simple ... just the way it ought to be.

The Tony Show
12-31-07, 11:44 AM
I had to look that word up......sycophants......are you smart????

No, I just pretend to be on the Internet. :D

Flyboy
12-31-07, 12:36 PM
It's business, pure and simple ... just the way it ought to be.

Randy you're right.....I'm gonna' attach a picture from yesterday taken near my house. Maybe Mrs. Randy can practice in AZ??????

Nutz
01-01-08, 03:45 AM
Happy New REAR!!

CTSV_Rob
01-01-08, 04:07 AM
Har... Har... Har...

Don't want this rear going out with a bang :D

j/k - Happy New Year!!!!!!

rand49er
01-01-08, 07:07 AM
Randy you're right.....I'm gonna' attach a picture from yesterday taken near my house. Maybe Mrs. Randy can practice in AZ??????Oh, Jimmy! "Mrs. Randy" could practice just about anywhere ... jobs paying big $ in really nice places like Lake Tahoe and others. She's very good at what she does ... works very hard, too.

Why, then, are we here in SE Mich? :hmm:

Excuse me ... I gotta go fire up the snowblower and clear off the 8" of snow on the driveway right now so she can go to work here on New Year's day so I can afford this new diff housing. :rolleyes:

VDiddy
01-01-08, 10:51 AM
....and I'm all for that, as long as it's cost effective. If pointing out the fact that this is probably going to be expensive as shit is "hating", then I suppose I'm a hater. I've got warranty until 2010 to take care of the aluminum diff, but if this comes in reasonably priced then I may upgrade.

The OP shouldn't expect a whole forum full of sycophants until it's priced right and proven to be an improvement, though.

Did you call me a Psychopants? LOL. But seriously folks... Tony's point is an exvellent one. A little prudent skepticism is probably a good thing, particulalrly considering the likely cost of such a project. However, having owned a CNC race parts business at one time myself, I think it's important to note that now that the programming is done, these can be turned out by the gobs, which will ultimately lower the cost. Steel will definitely solve the problems with this rearend, particularly if it's 4340 and heat treated.

Nutz
01-02-08, 09:25 PM
It's done! This is the NEW STEEL DIFF HOUSING.
After paint work and reassembly, I hope to have this in my car in the next week or two.

A work of art!

heavymetals
01-02-08, 09:36 PM
You are going to fab end plates to aren't you?

LOOKS BITCHIN

Nutz
01-02-08, 09:56 PM
You are going to fab end plates to aren't you?

LOOKS BITCHIN

The front pinion gear bearing plate is being reused. The right side (pass side) mounting ear is part of the case. And the left side (driver side) mounting ear is part of the existing ring gear bearing plate (reusing for now). After this is in my car and successful, we will start working on a new left (driver side) bearing plate and ear mount assy.

Ak Jim
01-02-08, 09:56 PM
Holy crap, that thing is a work of art!

heavymetals
01-02-08, 10:02 PM
Very nice.

I would expect the front pinion plate to go first.

Flyboy
01-02-08, 10:05 PM
It's really beautiful ! ! !

I sooooooooooooooooooooooooo hope it works well.

Custom Gear
01-02-08, 10:16 PM
Heavy,

What makes you think the pinion would go???

Washin
01-02-08, 10:20 PM
Looks like a real piece of art. I would clear coat it. It's a shame to cover that baby up with paint. How did the cutting go? Any unexpected hurdles or did everything go as planned? :thumbsup:

Nutz
01-02-08, 10:29 PM
Looks like a real piece of art. I would clear coat it. It's a shame to cover that baby up with paint. How did the cutting go? Any unexpected hurdles or did everything go as planned? :thumbsup:

It's really a dilemma on painting ideas. We are probably going to paint THIS one red to highlight what has been designed. The other choice is definately Dupont clearcoat. I think Custom will agree that hurdles never happened, and everything went exactly as he planned (and I hoped for).

Custom Gear
01-02-08, 10:36 PM
Things went well!!! The only tine consuming part I had was finding the right tool for the tricky deep pockets. I would try 2 or 3 different insert geometries and depth of cuts before got the right combo. I had to make 2 fixtures to keep chatter and part deflection to a minimum. nothing out of the ordinary when your trying to cut a part that rings like a bell. the good part about it is that all the time consuming stuff is all done. programs are proved out, fixtures are done and machining process worked like a charm!!! I'm happy with the way things turned out.

Custom Gear
01-02-08, 10:42 PM
Very nice.

I would expect the front pinion plate to go first.

Heavy,

What makes you think the pinion would go???

I'm not questioning your knowledge of pinion defliction, I'm questioning mine!!!

thebigjimsho
01-02-08, 10:43 PM
Can't wait to see some video on this...

heavymetals
01-02-08, 11:00 PM
I'm not questioning your knowledge of pinion defliction, I'm questioning mine!!!

Most of the failures (that I saw) involved the front pinion area of the case and plate.

All the supposed "fixes" involved bolting some reinforcement to the plate, which led to the case letting go.

Ergo, fix the case and the plate should fail next, depending on clutch dumps vs wheel hopping it so the side plate fails.

I think you should nickel plate or gun blue it. :cool2:

OT, but with whine and a ring you usually get laid......:histeric:

Custom Gear
01-02-08, 11:02 PM
good one!!!

DILLIGAF
01-03-08, 12:36 AM
I'm curious of the machine hours.

It looks awesome guys!

Stress relief?

Need it polished?I'd do it

CTSV_Rob
01-03-08, 01:21 AM
I wouldn't give it to him to have it polished...

You won't see it back!

ZEUSROTTY
01-03-08, 08:04 PM
frickin bad ass.... that is all.

TURBO MINI VANS
01-03-08, 11:05 PM
This is my very 1st post in here and I would like to assure each and everyone of you that if NUTZ says he is going to do something, take it to the bank the man will do just that. I have known NUTZ for many years, back when he has a red 91 Spirit R/T. He was telling me about the rear end and I wanted to see it as well. I had a ride in his V not to long ago and was impressed with the power.

Now me I travel to the beat of a very different drum, I own and Drag Race 3 Turbo Charged Mini Vans plus I own a 2006 Charger R/T with the 5.7 HEMI. The Hemi Car has gone 13.58 @ 103.16 so far and the only mods are a
K & N CAI, 180 t-stat, and a .25 cent fan mod. The one Mini Van has gone 13.63 @ 102.13, but I am rebuilding the motor and I am hopeful to see a 12.50 by May.

I look forward to seeing this thread go to completion. I will be checking out this forum and hope you will enjoy my chats.

Regards
Chuck

Nutz
01-04-08, 10:25 AM
This is my very 1st post in here and I would like to assure each and everyone of you that if NUTZ says he is going to do something, take it to the bank the man will do just that. I have known NUTZ for many years, back when he has a red 91 Spirit R/T. He was telling me about the rear end and I wanted to see it as well. I had a ride in his V not to long ago and was impressed with the power.

Now me I travel to the beat of a very different drum, I own and Drag Race 3 Turbo Charged Mini Vans plus I own a 2006 Charger R/T with the 5.7 HEMI. The Hemi Car has gone 13.58 @ 103.16 so far and the only mods are a
K & N CAI, 180 t-stat, and a .25 cent fan mod. The one Mini Van has gone 13.63 @ 102.13, but I am rebuilding the motor and I am hopeful to see a 12.50 by May.

I look forward to seeing this thread go to completion. I will be checking out this forum and hope you will enjoy my chats.

Regards
Chuck

Always good to hear from you Chuck! Thanks for the kind words. Your extensive service dept. knowledge and insight will be appreaciated here. Keep us posted on that black 05 V (getting the new diff:rolleyes:) that's going to be sold at the auction soon. There might be some people interested here.

Florian
01-04-08, 10:41 AM
Always good to hear from you Chuck! Thanks for the kind words. Your extensive service dept. knowledge and insight will be appreaciated here. Keep us posted on that black 05 V (getting the new diff:rolleyes:) that's going to be sold at the auction soon. There might be some people interested here.

2 more Cleve guys for the meet next year..

F

trukk
01-04-08, 12:05 PM

Are you guys talking about Florian's old car?

-Chris

STAGEUP
01-04-08, 09:21 PM
Any more pics to drool at for the weekend? :)

Nutz
01-05-08, 03:28 AM
Any more pics to drool at for the weekend? :)

Will post next pic of fully assembled diff when it's ready to install. Stay tuned.

TURBO MINI VANS
01-06-08, 12:06 PM
I work at a local Chevy dealership and we got a CTS V in for a no crank and a noise coming from the rear end.
It came in Wed. I took off work on Fri to have a long weekend with the Mrs.
The dealership does not on this V it came from Adesa Auction, so you know.

Regards
Chuck

Jon
01-06-08, 03:25 PM
After paint work and reassembly, I hope to have this in my car in the next week or two.

A work of art!
Beautiful. Can't wait to see the test results!

STAGEUP
01-07-08, 11:45 PM
Bump!

Nutz
01-08-08, 09:39 AM
Waiting on diff housing paintwork, and finalizing front bushing redesign.

rand49er
01-08-08, 09:45 AM
Is there a tentative schedule as to build, install, and testing?

Just need to know when and how often I need to check in on this thread.

Nutz
01-08-08, 10:02 AM
Is there a tentative schedule as to build, install, and testing?

Just need to know when and how often I need to check in on this thread.

All intention is to have this running in my car in the next week or two. Custom has been battling a family flu bomb, and I have had some root canal issues, not to mention holiday commitments. Also hoping for good test weather here in balmy Cleveland, Ohio. Thanks for looking.

keeksv
01-08-08, 10:03 AM
are you making new half shafts too?

rand49er
01-08-08, 10:06 AM
All intention is to have this running in my car in the next week or two. Custom has been battling a family flu bomb, and I have had some root canal issues, not to mention holiday commitments. Also hoping for good test weather here in balmy Cleveland, Ohio. Thanks for looking.You mean you have a life, too?

j/k :histeric: Sounds like a normal existence to me!

Nutz
01-08-08, 10:13 AM
are you making new half shafts too?

No. Focused strictly on diff housing and front support area. Most other parts are either bolt-on or have already been offered as an upgrade.

Nutz
01-08-08, 10:16 AM
You mean you have a life, too?

j/k :histeric: Sounds like a normal existence to me!

Ya, imagine that. Kids too, AND I make most Garage Door problems in the Cleveland area my responsibility to handle... :alchi:

Washin
01-11-08, 04:58 PM
Bump for am update.....How is she coming?

lonestranger
01-11-08, 09:35 PM
Well I guess you had better take matters in hand and get things straightened out!!:bouncy:

Actually, I'm pretty hard right now:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers::histeric::histeric: :histeric:

Nutz
01-12-08, 04:20 PM
Bump for am update.....How is she coming?

Waiting on professional paintwork to be completed:yawn:. Reassembly should be tues or weds. (right about the time the weather starts getting crappy probably). I hope to have it in my car by next weekend. Maybe a little behind though, I expect to be crawling all over the NEW V as of 9:05 A.M. Thursday morning up in Detroit.

Flyboy
01-12-08, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Nutzabout
NEW V as of 9:05 A.M.

That's gonna' be a BAD ASS car ! ! !

TURBO MINI VANS
01-13-08, 06:25 PM
Waiting on professional paintwork to be completed:yawn:. Reassembly should be tues or weds. (right about the time the weather starts getting crappy probably). I hope to have it in my car by next weekend. Maybe a little behind though, I expect to be crawling all over the NEW V as of 9:05 A.M. Thursday morning up in Detroit.

Dang NUTZ,

Your are getting serious, aren't you ?

Let me know when you get the rear end home, if you need help with the r/r I might be able to help.

Chuck

HiTechRV
01-13-08, 07:59 PM

A work of art!

That IS a work of art.

How do you expect it to be on heat transfer to the outside air compared to the original? If it is not a good, it is pretty easy to set up a cooler and pump.

Nutz
01-13-08, 08:36 PM
That IS a work of art.

How do you expect it to be on heat transfer to the outside air compared to the original? If it is not a good, it is pretty easy to set up a cooler and pump.

We have incorporated 2 tapped fitting access holes for a cooler just to be safe, and also to support road racing needs. We also designed some areas to trap air to help.

TURBO MINI VANS
01-14-08, 10:26 PM
Hay NUTZ,

Do you have anymore pictures to share of the rear end ?

Chuck

Nutz
01-14-08, 10:30 PM
Hay NUTZ,

Do you have anymore pictures to share of the rear end ?

Chuck

Sure! I have a plethera. (next ones will be of it painted and assembled).
Sent the PM too regarding the meet.

STAGEUP
01-14-08, 10:35 PM
Someone get me a beach towel to wipe all this drool off my face!!!!!

theloanman219
01-14-08, 10:40 PM
this MOD will turn Stages car to a 10 sec car! :)

HiTechRV
01-14-08, 10:56 PM
Sure! I have a plethera. (next ones will be of it painted and assembled).
Sent the PM too regarding the meet.

Why paint that work or art??

Nutz
01-14-08, 11:02 PM
Why paint that work or art??

This 1st one's getting red paint. Strictly for visibility and photogenic purposes. To decifer what has been machined in steel.

CTS-V-08
01-15-08, 12:44 AM
Omg Thats Sick.

ZEUSROTTY
01-15-08, 12:53 AM
HOW MUCH?

Custom Gear
01-15-08, 12:55 AM
Here we go!!!!! One more m14 x 2 tap and it's ready for paint!!!!
Sorry it took so long it's been a bad week!!!
slobber away!!!

heavymetals
01-15-08, 01:15 AM
A real nice piece of work.

I hope you take very good data on the build and how you beatup on it after install.

54inches
01-16-08, 12:21 AM
Holy shiny metal BATMAN!