: Bose , Really The Best Car Audio ?

Cadillacboy
12-13-07, 04:59 PM
I thought it was the best considerin premium luxury cars have it . However some guys says it is a bit overrated brand and Harmon Kardon ,Bang & Olufsen better than it .
X300 Jags equipped with Harman Kardon and as I know W140 MB S Class had B&O but dunno for sure
I prefer listening to the engine sounds though but would like to know what's the best brand for you

Submariner409
12-13-07, 05:05 PM
"Good ol' Bose: No highs, no lows" (From an ex part time home audio geek).

Jesda
12-13-07, 05:06 PM
Nakamichi is the best for clarity and presence.

Bose systems vary widely. Seems like they'll stick their name on anything.

ted tcb
12-13-07, 05:08 PM
Nakamichi is the best for clarity and presence.

Bose systems vary widely. Seems like they'll stick their name on anything.

Coming from (4) Bose systems in a row, I'll second that on the late Nakamichi
systems ... many consider them superior to the Mark Levinson systems.

CadillacSTS42005
12-13-07, 05:11 PM
bose is enclosers
their drivers as a whole used to suck completely
the bose system in my 03 and my moms 98 is bad ass
bose finally got it right by addressing their no highs no lows name by actually adding TWEETERS and a SUB to their car systems
go figure by adding speakers specifically designed to focus on highs and lows would fix the problem lol

in all seriousness, Niks mom owns a Toyota Siena with a JBL system, her dad a Benz with Harmon(lux infinity) and my 03 Bose is vastly superior, however the bose in my dads 05 STS and the bose iver herd on my 05 CTS loaner is not as good as the 98-04 Seville Bose system

hueterm
12-13-07, 05:19 PM
I'm definitely NOT impressed w/the Bose in the EXT. It's almost identical to the one I had in my Avalanche, just a couple of DSPs is the only difference.

malcolm
12-13-07, 05:21 PM
It's a car not a concert hall. It's decent. I come from a time when all we got was AM and one or two dried out cracked speakers. The big thing was getting a car with a rear speaker.

gary88
12-13-07, 05:26 PM
I think the Bose in the Escalade isn't half bad. It doesn't have ground shaking bass, but everything does sound balanced and crystal clear. I find that the bass gets a slight bump with the DSP set to rear.

dkozloski
12-13-07, 05:45 PM
I think the Bose in the Escalade isn't half bad. It doesn't have ground shaking bass, but everything does sound balanced and crystal clear. I find that the bass gets a slight bump with the DSP set to rear.
Anybody besides me remember Becker Mexico?

Crown Vic Owner
12-13-07, 05:47 PM
Can you replace the rear sub for a bigger one in the bose system in the 98 sevilles?

hueterm
12-13-07, 05:53 PM
It's a car not a concert hall. It's decent. I come from a time when all we got was AM and one or two dried out cracked speakers. The big thing was getting a car with a rear speaker.

:thehand: Are you serious??

This isn't whatever decade you're referring to -- and the last gen Escalade cost $50-60K -- why shouldn't it be a concert hall?

The aforementioned mid/late '90s Lexus Nakamichi is a concert hall.

The mid/late '90s BMW 7-Series upgraded stereo (not sure if that was an HK or not) w/the DSP settings is a mega concert hall.

The Navigator sounds like a concert hall.

The 11 speaker non-Bose Delco in my '95 Concours sounds comparable to my EXT -- and it's 13 model years old.

The same "justification" you're using can be said about pretty much anything relating to a premium vehicle -- engine, suspension, safety features, interior appointments...so then why not settle for a 1982 Chevy Malibu and be done w/it??

I like the EXT and wouldn't have picked anything else -- but that doesn't mean that they didn't skimp out on the stereo and shouldn't be called out on it.

hueterm
12-13-07, 05:56 PM

A sub would have made all the difference. I do like the "Driver" mode, but it's just not quite low enough. And believe me, I'm not one going out looking for bass shakers, pimpin' down the road at 5 mph....but it should have more guts than it does.

I've never tried the "rear" DSP -- I'll give that a listen. THX

malcolm
12-13-07, 06:49 PM
I always amazes me what motivates people to buy a Cadillac. It's a car and a nice way to travel. A decent stereo is all that is necessary for a trip from point A to point B. Some people are investing way too much emotion in the driving experience. There are so many other things in life that matter.

Jesda
12-13-07, 07:28 PM
Coming from (4) Bose systems in a row, I'll second that on the late Nakamichi
systems ... many consider them superior to the Mark Levinson systems.

My mom has the ML system in her GX. Its terribly overrated. You can throw a bunch of jazz musicians in a Lexus TV ad and make it seem like it matters, but the truth is, the Nak system was far superior.

I also miss the seats in that LS.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-13-07, 07:38 PM
The Bose system in the S Class is magnificent....very crisp, very clear, with good amounts of bass and treble. It has 11 speakers, I believe there is a tweeter and a subwoofer in there too. So yes, it literally feels like I'm in a concert hall. But, I've heard that Nakamichi is the best brand out there, especially when used in the LS400s.

hueterm
12-13-07, 07:43 PM
I always amazes me what motivates people to buy a Cadillac. It's a car and a nice way to travel. A decent stereo is all that is necessary for a trip from point A to point B. Some people are investing way too much emotion in the driving experience. There are so many other things in life that matter.

:bigroll:

LS1Mike
12-13-07, 07:47 PM
The Bose in my WS6 does a good job canceling out the headers, cam, exhaust and poly tid bits, so I am relatively happy with it.
It has a decent sub in the back and sounds better than the Bose in my CTS.

Jesda
12-13-07, 07:53 PM

Wet blanket!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-13-07, 08:13 PM
Wet blanket!

Soggy Biscuit!

Wait, what?

MN-STS-LOVER
12-13-07, 08:27 PM
The 11 speaker Bose in mine sounds better than anything I've ever heard. The first two months I had the car I would sit in the garage and play every CD I have. My wife can hear the "pimp thump" from our bed room (75' away in a 2000sf foundation rambler) it shakes the mud room door! As far as clarity...she always comments about (circa '80's) songs that she never knew what they were really saying until she heard it through the Bose.

hueterm
12-13-07, 08:29 PM
The 11 speaker Bose in mine sounds better than anything I've ever heard. The first two months I had the car I would sit in the garage and play every CD I have. My wife can hear the "pimp thump" from our bed room (75' away in a 2000sf foundation rambler) it shakes the mud room door! As far as clarity...she always comments about (circa '80's) songs that she never knew what they were really saying until she heard it through the Bose.

:banghead: lusting... lol

MN-STS-LOVER
12-13-07, 08:41 PM
Just a quick correction before all the rest chime in....I typed 11 speakers....but I meant to type 10!

gary88
12-13-07, 08:48 PM
Yeah, the Bose 4.0 in the older STS (SLS option) is the best factory stereo I've ever heard. My dad's old SLS had it.

Too bad mine has the average Delco system :banghead:

pimpin88
12-13-07, 09:51 PM
My 2001 SLS had the Bose system and it was definitely kick A$$

Crown Vic Owner
12-13-07, 10:01 PM
My 2001 SLS had the Bose system and it was definitely kick A$$

its kicks my friends 1000 dollar rigs ass

plus my car can still sound normal.

thebigjimsho
12-13-07, 11:07 PM
Whatever the factory system, except for the ultra-high end ML and B&O type systems, an aftermarket system walks all over stock stereos...

thebigjimsho
12-13-07, 11:11 PM
I always amazes me what motivates people to buy a Cadillac. It's a car and a nice way to travel. A decent stereo is all that is necessary for a trip from point A to point B. Some people are investing way too much emotion in the driving experience. There are so many other things in life that matter.Sure, if you live in Newark. Have fun in your white Toyota Camry with tape deck.

I enjoy nice cars and I love nice stereos. A great scenic drive playing whatever music suits your mood, very few other things satisfy like that. Sorry you're so deprived...

MN-STS-LOVER
12-13-07, 11:25 PM
Whatever the factory system, except for the ultra-high end ML and B&O type systems, an aftermarket system walks all over stock stereos...

So are you saying that if I go to Radio Shack and buy a Panasonic....it will sound better than my Bose?

Mark0101
12-13-07, 11:33 PM
The best sound system I heard was in a 2004 Lincoln Town car. It had the base Mark Levinson system. It had just the perfect highs and lows.

thebigjimsho
12-14-07, 12:20 AM
So are you saying that if I go to Radio Shack and buy a Panasonic....it will sound better than my Bose?If it were my Bose, probably. As for cheap aftermarket like Rockford Fosgate, Infinity or JVC, no, that's not what I'm talking about.

Give me JL Audio, McIntosh, Zapco and the like. Finding lightly used classics from a/d/s/, Lanzar, Orion and such is quite fun as well...

nickc50310
12-14-07, 12:42 AM

Yeah? Like what?

AMGoff
12-14-07, 01:46 AM
I've always found most things Bose to be somewhat overrated.... fair, but nothing phenomenal.... and the same holds true in the Seville - it's a decent system but that's about it. While I've never been up close and personal with one of their automotive installations, I can say that at least for home products Harman Kardon makes some fantastic equipment. We have a set of HK Sound Sticks hooked up to the PowerMac in the den - for such a compact system it puts out great sound, probably the clearest I've come across with similar setups. We also have an HK 7.1 digital surround set up in the family room - simply amazing, I can't think of a better way to put it, just that - amazing sound.

CadillacSTS42005
12-14-07, 02:16 AM
If it were my Bose, probably. As for cheap aftermarket like Rockford Fosgate, Infinity or JVC, no, that's not what I'm talking about.

Give me JL Audio, McIntosh, Zapco and the like. Finding lightly used classics from a/d/s/, Lanzar, Orion and such is quite fun as well...

you forgot US AMP
blows Zapco away
PERIOD

Night Wolf
12-14-07, 05:21 AM
Take it from someone whose hobby is audio equipment of all types.... Bose is all marketing.

I'll admit, *some* of their car setups sound *decent* Home audio though? It's all a joke.

Music is a "hobby" of mine, I relaly like home and car audio, and now I'm slowly getting involved with pro stuff, but home and car is where I'm best.

I gave up on the Bose argument with people though, all I can say is, their marketing really paid off... it's like arguing with ricers about car performance, there is just no getting thru to them. Just last week at work we were talking about Bose, someone mentioned the wave radio, I said I really never heard one, a guy said someone upstairs (the cubicals) has one, we went up he turned it on.... he turned it up said to stand back and listen to it... I wasn't impressed at all, it had decent mid-bass, but that was it.... I mean, for the money spent on that you can get a nice little book shelf system that sounds alot better.

Only for Bose do you find their ads mixed in with the Sunday newspaper coupons, Popular Mechanics and Maxim.... it's all in their marketing, just get the name out there, convince people it's the best.

As for cars? I really haven't heard many high end car systems.... the Lincoln has a really nice JBL system, tho in 1998 I believe they switched to Alpine. The JBL system that I have is awesome for low-mid volume... if I flat out crank it, it's not as clear, and the small sub can't produce enough bass.... but, in that car, a medium volume is actually quite loud.... only when I am really in the crank it up mood do I get it to those levels, and even then it's not all that bad.

That system is very neat, the head unit is nothing more then a pre-amp/display. It has a DSP feature which adds different effects (Jazz, Stadium, Hall, Church, news etc...) really all it does is add echo... it's normally off but sometimes I put it on Jazz which is cool, makes the car sounds like its 3 times as wide.

In the trunk is an amplifer/tuner, that is what gets the radio signal, and 10-disc CD-chager signal, or in my case with the adapter, the AUX input. It is also a 4ch amp, so each speaker has its own channel.

Each speaker is an actual JBL speaker, the front doors are 6x8 and the rear deck is 6x9, but it's not a typical coaxial speaker, the front has a 4" woofer and a seperate tweeter, the rear is the same.

On top of that is a 6.5" subwoofer in the middle of the rear deck, in it's own neat sealed box, that has it's own amplifer. When I bought the car, the factory sub was shot (surrond was totally gone) so I replaced it with a nice little Tang Band.... it works great and sounds good.

For a 1996 car, it is really nice, and I may add a bigger sepeate sub in the trunk, but keep everything else the same, cause really if I change one thing on that system I'd have to compeltely replace everything to do it right.

Before car audio I was/am into home audio, and under that category, vintage home audio (70's gear) my main speakers are JBL L100's Since then I've been partial to JBL, but they do make quality products. Today JBL is owned by Harmon/Kardon, which also owns Infinity. I also like Altec Lansing, which I don't think is owned by the Harmon folks, but once Mr. James B. Lansing sold off JBL, he created Altec Lansing. My new HP laptop has Altec Lansing speakers, and for a laptop it sounds darn good, it just keeps inpressing me, it's that good. Actually compared to the Bose wave radio, besides the extra bass and overall abality to play louder, my laptop speakers sound far better.... very clear, airy and open sound, I like it alot.

In the Coupe I had a really awesome sound system in there, I used all Infintiy speakers, which I was very happy with.... really great sub too, finally got it sounding exactly how I wanted it to, then it was stolen.

hueterm
12-14-07, 09:50 AM
Sure, if you live in Newark. Have fun in your white Toyota Camry with tape deck.

I enjoy nice cars and I love nice stereos. A great scenic drive playing whatever music suits your mood, very few other things satisfy like that. Sorry you're so deprived...

:yeah:

Cadillacboy
12-14-07, 10:08 AM
Soggy Biscuit!

Wait, what?

Melted down chocolate

caddy uptown
12-14-07, 10:28 AM
I prefer 4 L7 15" kickers,4 rockford fosgate amps,6 EV's & 6 beyman tweeters!

malcolm
12-14-07, 10:42 AM
Yeah? Like what?

P u s s y

malcolm
12-14-07, 10:47 AM
Sure, if you live in Newark. Have fun in your white Toyota Camry with tape deck.

Don't know about that, I roll in an 08 CTS not some old used POS. Maybe one day you can have a new car too.:histeric:

Night Wolf
12-14-07, 11:03 AM
I take joy in owning old used POS's (by other peoples standards) :(

Jesda
12-14-07, 11:35 AM
P u s s y

LOL :)

I despised the sound system in the Range Rover. It was like a powerful clock radio. (Sorry Ian, it sucked.) The Lincoln has the "Audiophile" system thats great at producing certain instruments, like the trombone or trumpet in a jazz tune, or acoustic guitars. The bass is boomy but not that deep and the soundstage needs to be wider. Otherwise, its very nice for jazz and country and not so good for pop.

AMGoff
12-14-07, 02:56 PM
How 'bout that... Infinity is under the corporate umbrella of Harman Industries.... you learn something new every day. I've always thought that Infinity was as underrated as Bose is overrated. I like their in-car systems, I know when we had the Sebring, the 6 speaker, 150w system that came with the up-level JXi was pretty nice, especially for such a compact system, it had automatic top up/down equalization and we could always hear everything clearly even with the top down at 60mph. Beyond that, the 11 speaker 360w system that came with the 300M was fantastic, although it's been a while since I've been in one, I think I honestly liked that system better than the Bose system in the Seville. It could just be that I am largely underwhelmed by the Bose, especially after reading a lot of Bose-lovers praise the system to high-heaven, where as I wasn't really expecting such a nice system in the M... just goes to show that more watts doesn't equal a better system. Hell... even the 8 speaker Monsoon system that was in the GS was as better system watt for watt than the Bose, IMO.

Just to be fair though... the Bose is by far, hands down, unequivocally better than the 3 speaker setup in my Grand Wagoneer....

SlxAlxx
12-14-07, 03:33 PM
Maybe I don't have a very fine tuned ear, but I think the Delco systems that come standard are pretty damn good. I think I might be alone on this one...

hueterm
12-14-07, 03:44 PM
Just to be fair though... the Bose is by far, hands down, unequivocally better than the 3 speaker setup in my Grand Wagoneer....

:stirpot:

Oh man, be careful who you mention that to ... the guy earlier from N. Jersey that thought an Escalade should have the stereo out of a 1986 Chevy Astro is going to get turned on to your GW for going out to look for :kittyball: !

:histeric:

EcSTSatic
12-14-07, 04:16 PM
I have only 2 comments to add:
The Bose in the STS sounds heavenly compared to the Aerostar I get to drive every day :(

The sound system can only sound as good as the source. iPod MP3 sound quality sucks!
http://tweakhound.com/itunes/fandq.htm

Submariner409
12-14-07, 04:39 PM
Two days after I bought this STS, exactly two years ago, I slipped Dire Straits' "On Every Street" and an Alan Jackson disc into the (6 disc) changer. Played 'em both. Took 'em out and returned them to their boxes.

The only time any part of the unit is powered up now is for the NOAA Weather channels.

Compared to my living room system with MartinLogan electrostatics driven by tubes the Bose in the Cadillac is just a big transistor radio, 8 speakers or not.

When in a car, any version, I would rather hear what's going on in it and what's going on around me.

Strictly personal, not to detract from anyone's listening experience.

Black Sunshine
12-14-07, 04:44 PM
I was always told the sound is in the imaging.

The two tweeters mounted on the A-pillars of the V pointed at each other makes for one hell of an improvement over ANY stock 3-5 speaker set up.

After imaging comes the money on components.

I'm shopping for some Kappa's for the doors/a-pillars and a good free air for the rear right now.

Anyone ever make a template for the CTS rear shelf? I think I'll hang some wood back there to give the free air a better foundation to work from.

Submariner409
12-14-07, 04:48 PM
^^^^ Izzat one of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's Ratfinks???????

Man, those go 'way back.......

Black Sunshine
12-14-07, 05:22 PM
Damn tootin'!

Still got my collector cards from back in the '60's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/Artwork/72.gif

This bring back memories?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/Artwork/022204_vanishingpoint.jpg

BOT, any stereophiles have a recommendation on a free air for the V?

thebigjimsho
12-14-07, 06:55 PM
Don't know about that, I roll in an 08 CTS not some old used POS. Maybe one day you can have a new car too.:histeric:So you spent all that money to go from point A to B? Sorry, but I'll take a 2004 V over an '08 CTS anyday...

thebigjimsho
12-14-07, 06:58 PM
I was always told the sound is in the imaging.

The two tweeters mounted on the A-pillars of the V pointed at each other makes for one hell of an improvement over ANY stock 3-5 speaker set up.

After imaging comes the money on components.

I'm shopping for some Kappa's for the doors/a-pillars and a good free air for the rear right now.

Anyone ever make a template for the CTS rear shelf? I think I'll hang some wood back there to give the free air a better foundation to work from.I wish my musical tastes matched my budget so I'd get Infinitys as well. I'm actually very surprised I've gone 3 1/2 years with the stock stereo...

thebigjimsho
12-14-07, 08:04 PM
you forgot US AMP
blows Zapco away
PERIODhahaha, sure young man, whatever you say. Anyone can make an amp that can put up large wattage and make a sub blur. Sound quality is where it's at. Flawlessly reproducing any sound at any volume is not easy.

Submariner409
12-14-07, 08:33 PM
:cookoo: Hey, Malcolm......Glad you roll around in a new '08 CTS. People like you subsidize other's ability to buy the same car at less than half price. You go through the initial "infant mortality" warranties, bitches and glitches, and when you lose interest, trade it in for 1/5 the sticker, and we suck it up with what's left of your warranty. Meanwhile, you're still paying off the original car plus the added new car balance. :tisk:

Most automotive "sound" systems are gross distortions of the old cliche' "ghetto blaster". It's difficult to reproduce Carnegie Hall or the Paradise in a car, money be damned. thump, thump, bump, bump, bam, bam, thump, thump, bump.......

MN-STS-LOVER
12-14-07, 08:49 PM
Say what you want to bad about the Bose. I have had really nice Alpine and Pioneer systems and not one gave me the clearity at full volume as does the Bose (10 speakers in mine). You can literally hear a guitar player pulling his pick off of the strings. IMHO that's pretty damn nice.

Jesda
12-14-07, 11:23 PM
Edmunds top 10:
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/58886/article.html

I disagree with the Range Rover (2002-2003 got the crappy BMW system) and the Lexus Mark Levinson system. Both are highly overrated. I'd love to try a Range Rover with the upgraded 2003.5+ HK system.

The Cadillac 4.0 system has a lot of bass, but it sounds like there's a sock over each speaker.

I was really impressed with the Bose system in the Porsche Cayenne.
http://www.panix.com/~clay/cayenne/cayenne-sound-system.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~clay/cayenne/sound.html