: Destroyers newest ride!!

Destroyer
12-12-07, 04:48 PM
It aint my fault, I'm always on the lookout for a nice 60s-early 70's Caddy convertible and something else always comes up. Anyway sold the Miata and bought a '99 Mustang Cobra convertible. Car has 72k miles but the drivetrain was replaced with an '01 Mustang Cobra motor/trans w/11k miles just 3k miles ago (owner had receipts and I know the shop that did the work). This car also has a chip/exhaust/ and 4.10 gears.......it flies. Love the wheels but the chrome is flaking off, I'll have to get new wheels. Will put more pics up after I get the inside all cleaned up. Third car I recently purchased that was owned by a person that passed. Bought this one of the old mans wife. :cool2:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04229.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04228.jpg

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 05:11 PM
awesome cars... and the only year mustangs to have amber turn signals in the rear.

watch out for pinhole leaks in the intake manifold. a lot of the 99's had suspect castings, if it starts to run pig rich check the intake first

Night Wolf
12-12-07, 06:44 PM
awesome cars... and the only year mustangs to have amber turn signals in the rear.

watch out for pinhole leaks in the intake manifold. a lot of the 99's had suspect castings, if it starts to run pig rich check the intake first

He said it has an '01 engine tho.

Nice car, I bet its very fast..... gonna hold on to it for a while?

Cadillacboy
12-12-07, 07:14 PM
Cool,congrats !

Spyder
12-12-07, 07:21 PM
If you DO decide to get rid of it, I've got dibs. I've never been to florida and would LOVE to fly out, spend a day or three and drive that thing home. No joke, eh. :)

Playdrv4me
12-12-07, 07:37 PM
I spy an Escalade (or an Escalade golf cart :hmm:) in the reflection ...

concorso
12-12-07, 07:50 PM
I can see rust under the paint allready :thepan:

I kid, nice car :thumbsup: Fastest color, too!

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 07:54 PM
He said it has an '01 engine tho.

Nice car, I bet its very fast..... gonna hold on to it for a while?

yeah, i know, just letting him know though, who knows if the manifold was changed too... they look identical

misfit6794
12-12-07, 08:05 PM
Watch out for those camaros and trans ams, they will smoke you, diehard fbody fan here. I still think a 5.0 miata woulda been sick, but nice mustang.

Destroyer
12-12-07, 09:34 PM
I spy an Escalade (or an Escalade golf cart :hmm:) in the reflection ...Escalade Power wheels. At least my son is pimpin!:histeric:

Rolex
12-12-07, 09:35 PM
Very cool car. The wife and I bought a 2000 GT convertible when we were in grad school (before we had a kid). I loved that thing. It wasn't the fastest car out of the hole, but made great power in the higher gears. With the chip and gears I bet that thing will fly out of the hole. I actually managed to get the wife's stock GT up to 150 mph. :cool2:

Spyder
12-12-07, 09:44 PM
Breakin' the law, breakin' the law...

Destroyer
12-12-07, 09:47 PM
Watch out for those camaros and trans ams, they will smoke you, diehard fbody fan here. I still think a 5.0 miata woulda been sick, but nice mustang.Some will. I had many fbodies and loved them so I'm not gonna sit here and say my Mustang is better for any reason but this one is more modded than I thought. My buddy has an 11 second '04 Mach 1 and he came down to look at it and give me the skinny on it cause we really didn't know. It belonged to an old man that passed and his wife didn't know a thing about it. I knew it had gears because of how fast I had to shift and because I called my bud on the way home and told him its revving at 2500 rpm @60mph. He told me it had 4.10's cause thats what he has and its at the same rpm's at 60 as his. Its got the 4.10 gears, flowmaster catback and offroad h-pipes with aftermarket resonators, short throw shifter, reflashed computer, underdrive pulleys, aftermaket suspension camber plates? and other components plus Diablo something or other, aluminum driveshaft, k&n filter, and other stuff I cant remember. Pretty much the same mods on his '04 Mach except for the Vortech supercharger he has. He ran 12.6's with this setup before supercharging and said he would be surprised if this car didn't run in the high 12's. I'll have to get used to this and if I need more power I'll probably add a Vortech as well. Anyway I think I made a great deal on this car and its definately more fun than I've had in a long time. Mid life crisis or not, I did not want a luxury car this time. I wanted something fun!.

Destroyer
12-12-07, 09:57 PM
Very cool car. The wife and I bought a 2000 GT convertible when we were in grad school (before we had a kid). I loved that thing. It wasn't the fastest car out of the hole, but made great power in the higher gears. With the chip and gears I bet that thing will fly out of the hole. I actually managed to get the wife's stock GT up to 150 mph. :cool2:It launch's off the line. I raced my wife's Mark VIII off the line and after a few seconds, I could NOT even see the Mark and she WAS racing. She pulls up next to me at the next light and says "you are gonna get in a lot of trouble with that", lol. The Cobra and GT are different animals, the Cobra has the 4 cam 32v motor whereas the GT has the 2v motor. The Cobra really needs some gear cause it doesn't really start making power till 4500 rpm or so and redlines at 7000. I have two kids and I have no problem sitting them in the back but they are past the car seat stage. :thumbsup:

Destroyer
12-12-07, 10:02 PM
Nice car, I bet its very fast..... gonna hold on to it for a while?Hold on to it?. Today I say yes but I change my mind very often. I actually think I can make a few bucks on it. Paid $8200 for it.:D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-12-07, 11:05 PM
So you had to buy this to make up for the ghey vibe that Miata put out? :p

All kidding aside, I like it...I used to really be big into Mustangs, and I always liked the 99+ Cobras. As I can tell, you really love the 4v Ford 4.6!

What's the difference between the '99 and '01 Cobra? Anything?

LS1Mike
12-12-07, 11:32 PM
Nice car Destroyer pretty good deal, but you are not going 12s in that with just those mods You need some headers, You don't have a solid rear axle and you car is heavier than a Mach 1.
I put 20 bucks you go 13.30 at 105 and I am assuming it is tunned properly. The Diablo Sport is probaly how you got your tune. You mentioned diablo and reflash, which means to me someone went in to adjust for the gears. I would guess with those mods your are most like right around 270-80 at the wheels (still 25 short of what my 00 WS6 did stock....You knew it was coming)
Most bone stock 01 hard top cars go about 13.80 with an average driver. MM&FF got one to go 13.50's all at around 101-102 MPH...Evan Smith is the guy who drove it to 13.50 . He is the same guy that drove a Bone stock 1998 Z28 to 12.92. He is a very good driver.

Well good luck with it I am sure it will be a lot of fun.

Destroyer
12-12-07, 11:41 PM
Nice car Destroyer pretty good deal, but you are not going 12s in that with just those mods You need some headers, You don't have a solid rear axle and you car is heavier than a Mach 1.
I put 20 bucks you go 13.30 at 105 and I am assuming it is tunned properly. The Diablo Sport is probaly how you got your tune. You mentioned diablo and reflash, which means to me someone went in to adjust for the gears. I would guess with those mods your are most like right around 270-80 at the wheels (still 25 short of what my 00 WS6 did stock....You knew it was coming)
Most bone stock 01 hard top cars go about 13.80 with an average driver. MM&FF got one to go 13.50's all at around 101-102 MPH...Evan Smith is the guy who drove it to 13.50 . He is the same guy that drove a Bone stock 1998 Z28 to 12.92. He is a very good driver.

Well good luck with it I am sure it will be a lot of fun.If it runs 13.30's I'll be fine. Gears do a lot for these cars and I know my buddies car ran with the same mods. '01 Mustangs according to my friend came with 3.27 gears, takes awhile for the motor to hit its peak with those gears. He belongs to local Mustang car clubs and they often have drag meets at the strip. He says it a high 12 second car (with him driving it, lol). We will see. I would have bought an fbody if I could have found a nice one with 6 speed and convertible for this kind of money but I couldn't find one. Honestly though, my buddy was beating LS1 cars with his Mach when it was stock, not all of them but it was definately a drivers race and he's a damn good driver. ;)

LS1Mike
12-12-07, 11:49 PM
The Mach 1 and LS1 are a drivers race because the Machs dynos higher than an 01 Cobra, have a solid rear axle and are lighter.
It only took Ford a few year to finally catch up to the LS1.

Destroyer
12-12-07, 11:55 PM
The Mach 1 and LS1 are a drivers race because the Machs dynos higher than an 01 Cobra, have a solid rear axle and are lighter.
It only took Ford a few year to finally catch up to the LS1.The Mach dynoed @250-260rwhp if I remember right, his is now over 450rwhp. Symantics anyhow, at 36 I just dont see myself racing it a whole lot anyway. Just wanna have some fun when I'm on the road so I'm not gonna get into this whole thing. When I run it at the track I'll let you know if your prediction was right, been so long since I've driven stick I'll probably run slower than your prediction the first few times. Used to run pro 5.0 racing at Englishtown in the late 80's-early 90's so I'm a bit rusty.
:eek::thumbsup:

Destroyer
12-13-07, 12:43 AM
So you had to buy this to make up for the ghey vibe that Miata put out? :p

All kidding aside, I like it...I used to really be big into Mustangs, and I always liked the 99+ Cobras. As I can tell, you really love the 4v Ford 4.6!

What's the difference between the '99 and '01 Cobra? Anything?Miata was a fine little car but alas I was to big for it. Its not that I LOVE the Ford 4.6 per se but I gotta say that listening to it at full bore and 6000+rpms is very uplifting. I actually like GM LSx motors more but at heart I'll always be a GM guy even if they dont sound as good as the Fords. I just wanted a fairly fast convertible OR a classic Caddy vert. This just came up and I'm glad it did. I've been having a lot of fun in my buddy's supercharged Mach 1 lately and this car reminds me a lot of how his car feels and its a vert to boot (still sunny and 85 here in FL). Difference between a '99 and '01 Cobra?. I dunno. :cool2:

Destroyer
12-14-07, 01:43 PM
Got some great news about the Cobra today. My buddy Travis with the supercharged '04 Mach 1 is friends with the shop that did all the work to my car. They specialize in modding newer Mustangs and installed the supercharger on his car too. Anyway the owner told my friend that the motor isn't an '01 Cobra motor. It's an '04 Mach 1 motor. The car came into his shop with a knock and the owner opted for a motor swap instead of ripping apart and fixing the stock one. The owner of the car HAD to have another Cobra motor put in. The shop owner located a 9k mile '04 Mach 1 motor and explained to the guy this is the way to go and that the Cobra would be quicker with this motor but the guy wouldn't hear of it, HAD to be a Cobra motor. The shop owner was unable to find a Cobra motor so he swapped the valve covers and induction setup from the '99 over to the Mach 1 motor and told the guy it was an '01 COBRA motor w/13k miles. Guy never knew the difference but did feel the difference in power. My bud was really excited to hear that (more than I was) as he is really into these cars. Looks like it was a great buy. Front and rear bumpers have some scratches and should be repainted, otherwise the car really cleaned up nice!. Still need to clean up under the hood. Here's a few more proper pics of the car all cleaned up.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04230.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04231.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04232.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04233.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04234.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04235.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04236.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04237.jpg

Night Wolf
12-14-07, 01:49 PM
Sweet! it looks great :)

Thats awesome with the engine... '04 Mach 1 eh? Not too shabby, even cooler is the story about knowing the shop owner.

I see you're still pimpin' the shag van too :cool2:

Heh, the Pinellas plate brings me back... wow.... I've still got mine, its out in the shed, I guess FL dosn't want the plates back like NY does.... I had to pay like $250 for that thing!

Destroyer
12-14-07, 02:15 PM
Sweet! it looks great :)

Thats awesome with the engine... '04 Mach 1 eh? Not too shabby, even cooler is the story about knowing the shop owner.

I see you're still pimpin' the shag van too :cool2:

Thank god I had the receipts for all the work done otherwise I never would know. The guy that had this car died and his older wife knew NOTHING about it. The fact that my buddy and the owner of the shop were friends was a plus too. I'd mention the name of the shop as Im sure you have heard of it but because this guy did a switcharoo with the engines for the customer, I'd rather not cause it could be bad press for him.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-07, 04:40 PM
Looks awesome Nick!

Must be nice living in Florida, getting to drive cars like that all year round...

Spyder
12-14-07, 05:13 PM
I still think you oughtta sell it to me. I'll fly out to Florida, letcha shoot my fifty, give you a bunch of cash, and drive it back home to California, top down the whole wayyyyyy...

AlBundy
12-14-07, 06:25 PM
Hot lookin car. Love it.:thumbsup:

Destroyer
12-14-07, 08:09 PM
Looks awesome Nick!

Must be nice living in Florida, getting to drive cars like that all year round...This year especially. Its STILL sunny and 85. Winter is the best time of year in FL IMO, rest of the year its all raining and flooding and storms, hurricanes and so forth. The Northerners that live here 1/2 the year and then go back to their homes up North for the 1/2 the year have the best setup. How is the Benz doing Chad?.

Destroyer
12-14-07, 08:11 PM
I still think you oughtta sell it to me. I'll fly out to Florida, letcha shoot my fifty, give you a bunch of cash, and drive it back home to California, top down the whole wayyyyyy...Give me a little time to enjoy it (mid life crisis) and I may take you up on it. I get bored rather quickly but even the wife likes this one and thinks it should be a keeper. We'll see.

Destroyer
12-14-07, 08:23 PM
Hot lookin car. Love it.:thumbsup:Thanks man.:bouncy:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-07, 08:34 PM
How is the Benz doing Chad?.

Doing well, still lovin' it! Hope it'll be a long time until I have to return to the dealer for any repair work. :annoyed: I shelled out about a grand this month in repairs.....:annoyed::annoyed:

Anyways, back to your car. :) :cool2:

Destroyer
12-14-07, 09:11 PM
Doing well, still lovin' it! Hope it'll be a long time until I have to return to the dealer for any repair work. :annoyed: I shelled out about a grand this month in repairs.....:annoyed::annoyed:

So its back on the road?. Did I miss the pics of the whole job being done or did you not post them?.:domo:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-07, 09:19 PM
I never had time to go down there and take pics. Yeah, I got it back on Wednesday, runs just fine now. That bill came out to be $2600.... Thank god for the warranty!

Night Wolf
12-15-07, 02:54 AM

$1,000 just this month?

What happened to the waranty, I though that was supposed to cover everything?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-15-07, 10:45 AM
$1,000 just this month?

What happened to the waranty, I though that was supposed to cover everything?

No, no not everything.

They covered the headgasket, front crank shaft seal and thermostat. For the both of those, I paid $200 for two deductibles because I went in at different times. If they didn't cover those, I'd be looking at about $2800.

They did not cover the left front door check strap or the front flex plate. I've known that those were bad since I first brought it in for the first oil change back in August and I decided that they needed to be done.

Hopefully this month has just been an exceptionally expensive one, and isn't "the norm" for a Mercedes, otherwise I can't afford to keep it in proper running condition.