: Tattoos - dumb idea?

EcSTSatic
12-12-07, 10:54 AM
This is an interesting clip. I wonder how many people that get tattoos like this really know what they say?
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=13034

The gal that cuts my hair says the tattoos girls get on the small of their backs are called "tramp stamps". I don't know if this is true or not but she says hospitals refuse to give pregnant women with "tramp stamps" an epidural during delivery for fear of introducing the ink into the nervous system :eek:

Submariner409
12-12-07, 11:02 AM
With the current craze for tattoos, just think what all the grandparents will look like in 45 years. What happens when a young woman with "Harry" tattooed on her inner thigh marries George ???? (Flip the names and gender if necessary.....)

I actually saw a kid in a stroller with a tattoo on her left upper arm. (and it wasn't a decal...)

Dunno how I survived 24 years in the submarine service without one.....

EcSTSatic
12-12-07, 11:14 AM

Likewise. When I was in the Marines we deployed to some of the hottest tattoo areas in SE Asia.

c5 rv
12-12-07, 11:20 AM

Now there's a mystery for ya. If you were on a boomer, maybe you didn't have enough foreign ports of call? At least we can be assured that you are a Trusty Shellback.

My brother served on the Providence (CLG-6) and Darter (SS-576) during the 60s - with a tattoo. My son served in the USMC and, like you, escaped without a tattoo. Then again, he's still IRR...

Spyder
12-12-07, 12:52 PM
This is an interesting clip. I wonder how many people that get tattoos like this really know what they say?

The gal that cuts my hair says the tattoos girls get on the small of their backs are called "tramp stamps". I don't know if this is true or not but she says hospitals refuse to give pregnant women with "tramp stamps" an epidural during delivery for fear of introducing the ink into the nervous system :eek:

I've always hated when people get stupid tattoos like that. I've got a few myself, but I would never put asian writing on me, a white guy, who has no idea how to say a single syllable in any asian-oriented language.

Tramp stamp? Yea, I've heard that term many times. Some can be well done, some can be tasteless...just like restoring old Caddy's. To each his own, but some of the tattoos that people get make no sense to me.

Fire and Ice
12-12-07, 12:54 PM
As a person who has tattoos, I can only offer these 5 bits of advice. IF you decide that getting a tattoo is the thing for you...

FIRST: QUALITY - Make sure it's not done by a "friend" in his shop. Sterility is a MUST and so is using a professional tattoo artist. As they say, good tattoos aren't cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good. Tattoos are permanent so make sure the work is quality. You pay for quality.

SECOND: PLACEMENT - Get your tattoo in a place where you really want it, not where you think it will hurt less. Hopefully you'll only have to sit through it once and hopefully you can avoid thinking to yourself, "gee I wish I put it here instead."

THIRD: SIZE - Same basic rule for size as well as placement. Don't go for a smaller size because you think it will hurt less or it's cheaper. If you can't afford the size you want, wait. It's worth it.

FOURTH: NAMES - Never, ever, ever get a boyfriend's or girlfriend's name, nickname or portrait. No matter how much you 'think' you love him/her and no matter how much you 'know' they love you. Getting a their name usually triggers a soon to follow break up (thank you Murphy's Law) and now you're stuck with someone else's name to explain to your new bf/gf.

FIFTH: CONTENT - Try to avoid vulgar "F**K the world" type tattoos as you're really only embarrassing yourself and showing how little class you have. Same goes for tattoos of naked women tattoos, etc. Additionally, people usually regret getting "Winnie the Pooh" and other such cartoon characters at some point in their lives.

Tattoos have become very common in today's society and it's usually only the older generation that look down on those who have them. Remember, the only difference between a person with tattoos and someone without, is a person with tattoos doesn't care if you have tattoos or not. Because of this reason, all of my tattoos are in areas I can cover with business/casual attire. I personally prefer someone get to know me for who am I rather than what they think I am.

:thumbsup:

Craig

dkozloski
12-12-07, 01:05 PM
A local genius decided to embark on a life of crime so the first thing he did was have cuss words tatooed across his face so nobody would recognize him. Tatoos are just like the phenomenons of sagging pants and sneakers with no laces; products of the prison system. Kids glorify the most stupid among us who have been caught, convicted and sentenced to time in the slammer and then come out of an institution where you aren't allowed a belt or shoelaces and advertise their stupidity with tatoos. I have the same gut reaction to tatoos that I have to smokers; what a f*****g idiot.

Jesda
12-12-07, 01:23 PM
Some are cool, and meaningful. 90% of them are ghey.

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 01:45 PM
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=13034

totally false

TOTALLY FALSE

i'm a collector of tattoo art, both on my body, and on my walls

yes, they are colloquially referred to as tramp stamps, west virginia license plates, and simply "targets"

a tattoo is not placing a large amount of ink under the skin in a "pool" there is no way that a small guage needle used for an epideural will introduce enough ink to stain more than a single arethrocyle or leukocyte.

a tattoo is actually a staining of the cells in the subdural layers of the skin.

My friend is tattooed from neck to knees almost completely solid inkwork and she had an epidueral with ehr first delivery and a C-section with her second. The doctors went so far as to even subduct the skin in a fashion where they could line her tattoos back up after the surgery.

I've seen many kanji and japanese script tattoos that do NOT mean what the customer wanted. Another aquaintance of mine was supposed to have the word "sweet lover" tattooed on her hip, instead the literal translation wound up being "slave girl". so there you go, know your art, know your artist and confirm your references.

the schmuck that gets "flash" off the wall of the parlor and the serious tattoo collector are worlds apart

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 02:05 PM
http://myspace-931.vo.llnwd.net/00582/13/99/582939931_l.jpg
http://myspace-251.vo.llnwd.net/01391/15/24/1391464251_l.jpg

those are the only two i have online right now... but ihave a couple tattoos on my back, and plan on getting a 3/4 sleeve started in the next month or two

Jesda
12-12-07, 02:10 PM
Your leg looks like a flower vase.

dkozloski
12-12-07, 02:13 PM

those are the only two i have online right now... but ihave a couple tattoos on my back, and plan on getting a 3/4 sleeve started in the next month or two
I have to ask; do you have some type of psychosis? This is way beyond weird.

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 02:14 PM
your neck looks like a package of hotdogs...

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 02:15 PM
I have to ask; do you have some type of psychosis? This is way beyond weird.

what? its all stories from the old testament and family stuff. plus you'd never know i had ANY tattoos when i'm dressed for work..

dkozloski
12-12-07, 02:29 PM
This is like people who cut themselves, pull their own hair out, or do surgery on themselves trying to modify their glandular system. The fact that you feel you have to hide it with your clothing in order to be accepted by mainstream people is telling in itself.

RightTurn
12-12-07, 02:31 PM
I'm sure the only reason they are covered is because of judgemental types such as yourself. :lol:

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 02:38 PM
well actually i'd wear shorts and i'll show anyone who asks, i'm simply not allowed to wear shorts at work

plus its a little chilly for short pants

and this is a far cry from surgery addiction/compulsion or disfiguring self mutilation

malcolm
12-12-07, 02:40 PM
A local genius decided to embark on a life of crime so the first thing he did was have cuss words tatooed across his face so nobody would recognize him. Tatoos are just like the phenomenons of sagging pants and sneakers with no laces; products of the prison system. Kids glorify the most stupid among us who have been caught, convicted and sentenced to time in the slammer and then come out of an institution where you aren't allowed a belt or shoelaces and advertise their stupidity with tatoos. I have the same gut reaction to tatoos that I have to smokers; what a f*****g idiot.
Lighten up:cookoo:. It's a new millennium, tattoos are accepted and why would a smoker bother you:hmm:, they can't smoke in any public places anymore.

dkozloski
12-12-07, 03:02 PM
Tattoos have been around for thousands of years and for a multitude of reasons but to me they are a turn off. To some psychologists tattoos are not a means of expressing individuality and self but a compulsion to conform to a new norm which is having body art. The current explosion of body art originated in the prison system. It makes no sense to me. Smoking doesn't offend me in itself. What it does is cause me to be disappointed in anybody that would be stupid enough to risk their health and that of their loved ones by doing it. Most smokers think nothing of their children being immersed in a cloud that is killing them an inch at a time and the kids are prisoners in their own environment.

RightTurn
12-12-07, 03:20 PM
Koz you are painting in broad strokes. If none of those things affect you directly, why do you care? I don't smoke and I have no tatoos, but if others want to do those things I don't give a rat's. My husband smokes and I assure you he is not a ****ing idiot, nor is he stupid.

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 03:24 PM
Tattoos have been around for thousands of years and for a multitude of reasons but to me they are a turn off. To some psychologists tattoos are not a means of expressing individuality and self but a compulsion to conform to a new norm which is having body art. The current explosion of body art originated in the prison system. It makes no sense to me. Smoking doesn't offend me in itself. What it does is cause me to be disappointed in anybody that would be stupid enough to risk their health and that of their loved ones by doing it. Most smokers think nothing of their children being immersed in a cloud that is killing them an inch at a time and the kids are prisoners in their own environment.

valid point, but just as you hold that belief i subscribe to the school of thought that tattoos arent of the system, just because the system makes them more prevelant.

to each their own i guess, i feel the same way you do about smokers but not quite as adamantly. I think its repugnant but until you're affecting me or mine then you're free to poison yourself as you see fit.

i love my tattoos i wouldnt trade them and even if i'm not as enthusiastic about them 40 years from now i'd never get rid of them, they mean something to me, they represent a good period in mylife unlike a prison tattoo..they remind me of my family, they remind me of the hardships we've gone through and survived, and theyre an awesome conversation piece, i'm a type A- personality, a shy type A if you will, i love talking about them

Florian
12-12-07, 03:29 PM
the schmuck that gets "flash" off the wall of the parlor and the serious tattoo collector are worlds apart

+1

People that drop into a shop...look in the books or at the flash on the walls are completely clueless. I too am a tattoo fanatic. I got my 1st when I was legally able @ 18. It was a trivial little Snoopy tattoo that our whole team got as a sign of unity. Im still tight w/most of the guys and we still have our dinky outlines. I got serious in my 20's and had my first 'major' piece done on my back. It was a drawing of a mythical beast that represents (at least in my heritage) loyalty, monogamy and dedication/devotion. The tattoo has personal meaning to me and my family, so I dont ever regret getting it. I spent almost a year researching it, and another 4-5 months with the artist laying out what I wanted before I ever got in the chair. It took almost 5 hours in the chair and I had it done by a gentleman that was classically trained in China. The outline was done traditionally (modern) with the typical mechanical needle. The fill/shading was done with a pointed stick and 'hammer'. It looks great (Ill have the misses take a photo) and hasnt faded an ounce.
I simply cannot wait to get more work done, it is addictive.

Nice work, Corey.

F

AMGoff
12-12-07, 03:34 PM
Tattoos have become very common in today's society and it's usually only the older generation that look down on those who have them.

Hate to burst your bubble there Craiggie-boy... but I just don't see the point of them. I'll never flat out judge someone just because they have them.. sometimes they look trashy, sometimes they look tasteful, although it's usually the former. The only time I take issue with it is when kids under 18 get them. I was so mad at my brother (who has tats) who let my 16 year old nephew get one of his school mascot on the back of his neck.... c'mon! I thought that was going a bit far, because I know that he probably encouraged it... I don't like that at all. Regardless of that... I came into this world without ink strewn about my body and I'm going to leave it that way...

Florian
12-12-07, 03:34 PM
..they remind me of my family, they remind me of the hardships we've gone through and survived, and theyre an awesome conversation piece, i'm a type A- personality, a shy type A if you will, i love talking about them

another +1

I would also add that NONE of my tattoos are visible w/o removing either shirt or pants. That makes them personal to me, meaning I only show a fellow enthusiast or someone close to me. I dont make any statement to the public by having them out on my extremities, I keep them 'close to the vest'. Im not trying to prove anything, just making a personal statement - a constant reminder if you will, of where Im from and what my history is.

F

dkozloski
12-12-07, 03:36 PM
They make you easy to identify after the cataclysm.

Florian
12-12-07, 03:38 PM
They also kept me from getting a job in the branch of government I wanted to serve......

F

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 03:40 PM
My next piece is going to be MC Escher artwork divided up to look like a jigsaw puzzle on my arm... no longer than 3/4length, just below T-shirt line an inch or two

Escher was my dad's favorite artist besides chagall and i'm not getting chagall tattooed on me. I love his work and the puzzle pieces represent the logical thinking, and problem solving/perseverance that i learned both from him, and dealing with his prolonged illness

to the outside observer its going to be artwork, to me its a story through pain, color, and time.

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 03:40 PM
They make you easy to identify after the cataclysm.

thats ok... bury the one with the flaming leg, ass up so you can all kiss it...

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 03:42 PM
They also kept me from getting a job in the branch of government I wanted to serve......

F

i'm too fat for the marines...

i don't have to worry about that, plus if i do ever work for the government it will be on a contractor basis just like i do now.

i find that government and corporate dress codes regarding tattoos are not villifying the tattoo but rather repressing the tattooee's choice....jk just trying to start a little discussion, tattoos are and always will be fringe effect. Puts you on the edge of normalcy by their very nature.

Jesda
12-12-07, 03:51 PM
My next piece is going to be MC Escher artwork divided up to look like a jigsaw puzzle on my arm... no longer than 3/4length, just below T-shirt line an inch or two

Escher was my dad's favorite artist besides chagall and i'm not getting chagall tattooed on me. I love his work and the puzzle pieces represent the logical thinking, and problem solving/perseverance that i learned both from him, and dealing with his prolonged illness

to the outside observer its going to be artwork, to me its a story through pain, color, and time.

Now THATS awesome!

Jesda
12-12-07, 03:52 PM
your neck looks like a package of hotdogs...

I am what I eat!

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 03:54 PM
Now THATS awesome!

:highfive::thumbsup:

EcSTSatic
12-12-07, 04:01 PM

I could see them on a wall or a screen saver but not on my skin. The only tat I ever second guessed on getting or not was a Marine one. But now I have a bumper sticker, license plate brkt and other memorabilia to remind me. Except for a few scars, the ol' bod is clear of those days.

RunningOnEMT
12-12-07, 04:14 PM
I could see them on a wall or a screen saver but not on my skin. The only tat I ever second guessed on getting or not was a Marine one. But now I have a bumper sticker, license plate brkt and other memorabilia to remind me. Except for a few scars, the ol' bod is clear of those days.

were it not for it being my father, and the driving force for both my career and my view on a lot of life, i'd get a license plate bracket, but just like i'll always ahve the tattoo, i'll always have my father with me

dkozloski
12-12-07, 07:29 PM
A couple of local morning radio DJ's concocted an organization supposedly to promote tattoos for little kids called "Tatts for Tots". It exploded on the scene and quickly the tale was wagging the dog. There was that element that took the hoax seriously and were filing lawsuits. Others were obvious tatt fanatics and put their oar in the water and there was everybody else who thought it was all hilarious. The hoax ran its course and it all faded away. The dynamics were pretty impressive.

concorso
12-12-07, 08:48 PM
Koz you are painting in broad strokes. If none of those things affect you directly, why do you care? I don't smoke and I have no tatoos, but if others want to do those things I don't give a rat's. My husband smokes and I assure you he is not a ****ing idiot, nor is he stupid.Well said. The only time I judge a smoker is when Im directly affected by their smoking, like outside a university when I walk through the entrance. Or when her bacci-breath tongue is in my mouth, and Im thinking "loooks like Ill be looking for a new woman!"
And the only time I could concievably judge tattoos are when they're graphic and around kids.

I don't smoke, but I have family/extremely close friends/daily coworkers who do. I dont have tattoos, but I want one and just havent found the one I want yet.
And anyone who works for me can tattoo anything they want, as long as its not graphic and showing.

Saying this orignated in the prison system is a moot point now, as its an art form that has gone mainstream.

Spyder
12-12-07, 09:09 PM
Jesda's such a d!ck.

dkozloski
12-12-07, 11:04 PM
Koz you are painting in broad strokes. If none of those things affect you directly, why do you care? I don't smoke and I have no tatoos, but if others want to do those things I don't give a rat's. My husband smokes and I assure you he is not a ****ing idiot, nor is he stupid.
I was simply stating my opinion. I was in no way trying to persuade anyone to my point of view. It is a defect in my personality that I can't cut any slack for somebody that knowingly sucks poison into his lungs and pollutes the area around him. It's even worse when it affects kids. A cigarette is a stick of poison with a fire on one end and a fool on the other.

dkozloski
12-12-07, 11:10 PM
Well said. The only time I judge a smoker is when Im directly affected by their smoking, like outside a university when I walk through the entrance. Or when her bacci-breath tongue is in my mouth, and Im thinking "loooks like Ill be looking for a new woman!"
And the only time I could concievably judge tattoos are when they're graphic and around kids.

I don't smoke, but I have family/extremely close friends/daily coworkers who do. I dont have tattoos, but I want one and just havent found the one I want yet.
And anyone who works for me can tattoo anything they want, as long as its not graphic and showing.

Saying this orignated in the prison system is a moot point now, as its an art form that has gone mainstream.
I am appalled by the coarsening of our culture that stems from the young people following the lead of the stupidest 1% of our population that finds themselves in the prison system. Fashion, music, behavior, morals, and attitudes towards other people are all following the lead of the basest part of our civilization. God help us all!

Destroyer
12-13-07, 01:35 AM
I've got "I'm a wuss" tatooed on my butt!:D

AMGoff
12-13-07, 01:51 AM
I'm not even sure how smoking and tattoos really have anything to do with one another - outside of koz's mind of course... speaking of which, it's time for my pre-bedtime smoke... still holding steady at two a day and I think I've pretty much adjusted to it at this point, might try cutting back to one a day next week to see how I handle it....

AMGoff
12-13-07, 01:52 AM
I've got "I'm a wuss" tatooed on my butt!:D

Wait, I thought it was "Please be gentle," or did we get that changed... lol.

eldorado99
12-13-07, 02:17 AM
Koz, no one is accusing you of trying to persuade anyone. By your logic though I hope you don't drive a car near any other human being, or drink alcohol, or buy unhealthy food for any nieces, nephews, or grandkids... Everyone makes their own choices and some of those affect others, regardless of how politically incorrect they may be.

I'm not trying to piss you off Koz, really, but I think you may not have thought this all the way through.

I was simply stating my opinion. I was in no way trying to persuade anyone to my point of view. It is a defect in my personality that I can't cut any slack for somebody that knowingly sucks poison into his lungs and pollutes the area around him. It's even worse when it affects kids. A cigarette is a stick of poison with a fire on one end and a fool on the other.

dkozloski
12-13-07, 02:35 AM
Koz, no one is accusing you of trying to persuade anyone. By your logic though I hope you don't drive a car near any other human being, or drink alcohol, or buy unhealthy food for any nieces, nephews, or grandkids... Everyone makes their own choices and some of those affect others, regardless of how politically incorrect they may be.

I'm not trying to piss you off Koz, really, but I think you may not have thought this all the way through.
The problem is that smoking has no redeeming features beyond relieving an addicts sensless compulsion. It's a downer for everyone who has to tolerate it. It is a proven instrument of death and parents still trap their kids in a car and force them to endure the risks. Death from lung cancer is a horrible experience to witness especially when you're the victim and you didn't do the smoking yourself. Just as abhorrent is the smoker that puts their life partner at risk and uses their partner's love for them as the instrument of their destruction. How sick is that?

Tatoos are a minimal risk to health and are strictly a matter of choice. I choose not to follow the current trend to adopt the prison culture as my model for living my life. They look good on an aborigine but I have no need to decorate myself to impress the girls or opposing warriors. Some people consider them to be a means of self expression or an art form. So be it. At least their kids won't be coughing up chunks of lung because of it.

EcSTSatic
12-13-07, 09:46 AM

That would definitely qualify as a prison tat! :rofl:

RightTurn
12-13-07, 11:53 AM
The problem is that smoking has no redeeming features beyond relieving an addicts sensless compulsion. It's a downer for everyone who has to tolerate it. It is a proven instrument of death and parents still trap their kids in a car and force them to endure the risks. Death from lung cancer is a horrible experience to witness especially when you're the victim and you didn't do the smoking yourself. Just as abhorrent is the smoker that puts their life partner at risk and uses their partner's love for them as the instrument of their destruction. How sick is that?

You know Koz, you can voice your opinion of smoking without insulting people who choose to smoke. I know several smokers and none of them "trap their kids in a car and force them to endure the risks" nor do they "put their life partner at risk". Bah. You don't care for smoking...end of story. I don't care for it either, but I don't insult people who choose to smoke.

Spyder
12-13-07, 12:23 PM
I can't think of a single smoker who doesn't, albeit unknowingly, force those around them to deal with it. They light up in cars without thinking, without realizing that the other occupants may hate the smoke. They excuse themselves from the house to go smoke outside so the smoke doesn't get in the house then leave the window open or the door open so they can still be part of the conversation going on in the house and the smoke blows right in. They finish their outside cigarette and come back in the house and sit on the couch, transferring the disgusting ass smell to the furniture of the non-smoker who is a whole helluva lot more apt to notice it than those who have destroyed their sense of taste and smell. They walk down the street and blow smoke, inadvertently, in everyones faces. They, without thinking about it, toss their cigarette butts on the ground, out the window or into the cigarette bucket. They miss the bucket. Or the bucket sits outside where non smokers must walk past it several times a day and experience the thing that they hate. They ash on the floor or ground or patio or out the window of the car. They get pissy when you're socializing with them and they want a smoke and you don't follow them outside into the cold or the rain.

I don't care if you smoke but don't goddamned make me have to experience it. Smokers don't realize that they smell and that they litter and that their smell follows them wherever they go. They don't have respect for those around them who don't smoke and they get pissy when someone who doesn't smoke asks them not to do so around them, as if they are preordained the right to light up wherever and whenever they want with no regards to who is around.

Most of this is unknowingly committed, most of the time, but that doesn't change the fact that it is there and it is entirely on the smokers who force their habits on the rest of the world who are too inconsiderate to hold their tasteless and disgusting hobby until they can "enjoy" it to themselves.

malcolm
12-13-07, 01:28 PM
I'm an ex-smoker but nothing burns my ass more than the stupid idea that second hand smoke is somehow more dangerous than first hand. This is a big reason why the rabid anti smoker crowd doesn't get a lot of respect. Total fabrication. Smoking is like drinking. Taking a couple drinks never killed anyone and is probably good for you but downing a quart of booze a day will kill you. Same with smoking. A few cigarettes will not hurt you but a couple packs a day will kill you. Everything in moderation. I still think the smell of tobacco is quite nice. Remember mankind has been smoking something for thousands of years.

dkozloski
12-13-07, 01:34 PM
You know Koz, you can voice your opinion of smoking without insulting people who choose to smoke. I know several smokers and none of them "trap their kids in a car and force them to endure the risks" nor do they "put their life partner at risk". Bah. You don't care for smoking...end of story. I don't care for it either, but I don't insult people who choose to smoke.
People who smoke don't give a damn that the odds are very high that they will be forcing their loved ones to witness their excruciating death from a horrible disease brought on by their senseless addiction. Worst case they will visit the same misfortune on their mate or kids. If insulting them will bring them to the realization of the agony they intend to inflict on the one person they should be trying to shield from such a thing I will have done them a service. There is nothing I can say or do that would approach that which they are doing themselves. May God have mercy on their souls.

RightTurn
12-13-07, 01:36 PM
:bigroll: I'm sure they appreciate your concern.

malcolm
12-13-07, 01:45 PM
Anyone who hasn't smoked is talking out of their ass as far as I am concerend. Older smokers who started before the warnings and are hopelessly hooked can't help themselves. Kids starting today are crazy in my opinion but the older smokers got the rules changed on them in the middle of the game. I am lucky I was able to quit, more because it was costing a fortune and you can't smoke anywhere and got tired of freezing my ass off in the parking lot. There are many who can't quit, that doesn't make them stupid it makes them hopelessly addicted. I don't know any smokers who are not considerate of where and who they smoke around. That kids in the car fairytale is BS.

dkozloski
12-13-07, 01:49 PM
I'm an ex-smoker but nothing burns my ass more than the stupid idea that second hand smoke is somehow more dangerous than first hand. This is a big reason why the rabid anti smoker crowd doesn't get a lot of respect. Total fabrication. Smoking is like drinking. Taking a couple drinks never killed anyone and is probably good for you but downing a quart of booze a day will kill you. Same with smoking. A few cigarettes will not hurt you but a couple packs a day will kill you. Everything in moderation. I still think the smell of tobacco is quite nice. Remember mankind has been smoking something for thousands of years.
Second hand smoke is not as dangerous as smoking itself but second hand smoke still results in 3400 lung cancer deaths and 46,000 heart disease deaths every year. How many are you willing to be personally responsible for? You are in denial of your past transgressions but I commend you for quitting.

Spyder
12-13-07, 01:57 PM
Should we start a smoking thread?

There are many who can't quit, that doesn't make them stupid it makes them hopelessly addicted. I don't know any smokers who are not considerate of where and who they smoke around. That kids in the car fairytale is BS.

Hopelessly addicted my bum. They could quite if they really wanted to and tried. It'd be rather crappy for them, yes, but they COULD quite.

You don't know any smokers who are not considerate of where and who they smoke around? Do you know ANY smokers? Just yesterday I was sitting at a stoplight and had my window down. The car to my right was full of people, all of them smoking. They also had their windows down. The breeze blew the collective smoke of four lit cigarettes into my vehicle and into my face. That's inconsiderate, although not intentionally. Whiny of me? Maybe. A big deal? Not really. But it serves as a perfect example of how smokers don't care about what's going on around them, where their smoke is going or who it is effecting. Take the ashtrays that are outside of EVERY public building in America. They're right by the door that EVERYONE must use to go in and out of the building. That means that I have to walk past them, see them, smell them. Each time I go into or out of a building. Not to mention the masses of people that are constantly congregated outside of these buildings and the entrance doors, smoking, who I have to pass to get into and out of the building. Forcing me to choose between never leaving my house and breathing their smoke and smelling like their smoke. I could go on and on and on about how smokers don't give a damn about those who don't...but I won't, because THEY DON'T CARE.

RightTurn
12-13-07, 02:18 PM
:horse::horse: Let's call this one a draw and get on with our lives. :highfive:

RightTurn
12-13-07, 02:19 PM
And now, back to your regularly scheduled Tatoo thread...

malcolm
12-13-07, 02:19 PM
Well the PC anti smoking crew is responsible for pushing the smokers outside and now what do they complain about, smokers outside. You people are never going to be happy. What's next, don't like the smell of beer on someone's breath? Maybe there are some books in the library that aren't your taste? Or some old man's cologne? So there you are in traffic and all you can smell are cigarettes? What road was that on. Don't they have trucks and buses where you live. I will tell you this, cigarette smoke was designed to be inhaled, the crap that comes out of the exhaust pipes was not. I'll take my chances with smoke.

Thread Hijack completed successfully.

RightTurn
12-13-07, 02:20 PM
:food-snacking:

dkozloski
12-13-07, 02:21 PM
Here addicts, read for yourself. Look in the mirror and ask yourself, how much misery have I caused to others?
http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422

I'm not surprised that the ME generation is in denial.

RightTurn
12-13-07, 02:26 PM
I told you, Koz. I don't smoke. Never have smoked. Never will smoke. But I don't give a happy damn if other people smoke.

p.s. I grew up on a tobacco farm. FTW!

malcolm
12-13-07, 02:43 PM
Here addicts, read for yourself. Look in the mirror and ask yourself, how much misery have I caused to others?
http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422

I'm not surprised that the ME generation is in denial.

Blah blah blah, next you are going to tell me an Al Gore fairy tale about global warming.

I thought people who lived in Alaska a little tougher than this. I bet you got a wood burning stove and have no problem breathing that crap year after year.

I'm not the ME generation either you cranky old fart:cookoo:. Is the lack of women up there making you a little crabby today?

Destroyer
12-13-07, 02:54 PM
Ya had to go telling everyone about that right?. So its ok if I tell all about your "Ram it hard" tat. :eek:

dkozloski
12-13-07, 03:00 PM
People who live with loved one with addictions, whether it's tobacco, alcohol, or recreational drugs are faced with a terrible truth. Their loved ones love their addiction more than them. The addicts themselves have to live with the self loathing brought on by this terrible truth. Anger, denial, self destruction are all manifestations of this. Nothing changes until the situation hits rock bottom. Most people are able to rationalize their position and continue on. On rare occasions the truth finally hits home and the lucky ones are able to escape their trap. More often it ends in tragedy. If the addict had a mate that tried to control them the way the addiction does the solution would be easy. Since they must find the answer within themselves it's very, very difficult.

TagApl4
12-13-07, 04:52 PM
I love tattoos... Not many things in this world u will really have for all the time you are here. And if you ask an enthusiast about their tattoos I am sure u will most likely hear and see a story that will rival some of the best writters or philosiphers... All my tattoos represent things I believe/been through...

Attached: my back tatoo an angel and a devil. If you look into the details of the tatttoo you will notice that the tattoo is over scars and incorporate the scars I have on my back. the devil is cutting into the scar in hell on one side, while the angel is sewing up the scar in heaven on the other side...

I have been through alot in my life seen some bad times and done bad things. I grew up in Vegas and was constantly tempted by negative vices, tempted to go down negative roads in life. I lived a life selling drugs, hustling, and having no conscious about those around me... Thus having the devil on my back, cutting into me, trying to break me down and be like those negative influences in me life, or be that devil I know that lives within me.

At the same time that I was doing such negative things I was also on the top of my game doing positives, because I still had personal values and a solid foundation my family built into me. Simultaniously when i was doing wrong I was Graduating in the top 3% of my highschool, A nationally competitive debator, on student council, and got scholorships to U.C. Berkley, U.C.L.A, ASU, Morehouse. Which is why I have the converse to the devil, My gaurdian angel sewing me up, looking out for me. Making sure when I do go astray I am fixed and put back on the just path, scarred but still going.

Thus, my belief is that we are all tempted to do wrong, and we are all capable of it but u have to make the decisions, u can be right, or wrong, or like me both right and wrong at the same time. So, even though our personal devil is constantly trying to make us do wrong, we still have our angle there at the same time to pick us up and put us back together, its never hopeless and u can fix what has gone wrong. My take on my struggle between good and evil.

http://photos-141.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v116/175/109/23600141/n23600141_30509727_4578.jpg
My other Tattoo, u will love this one Koz: It is a weathered cross with the words "Only the strong survive"... Sounds trendy, but I got this when I was 16 long b4 it was trendy, and it represents my beliefs on god and humanity.

So the center piece of the tattoo is the weathered cross. I was raised Catholic and been all through that system, but not because I chose the religion but my family is catholic and I had no choice in going to church. Religion was beaten into me. I believe in God, just not organized religion, or the church. It was always a fight for me to go to church, I am far more spiritual than I am religious. So, the script "Only the strong survive" a Darwinian philosiohy, a man whose views on orgin of species I believe in. And I believe that the secret behind the big bang, and the catalyst that put the first particle of matter in the universe to expand is the roll that God played in the construction of the universe.

Very drawn out post I know, but like many others I love my tattoos and there is alot to be said about them. I put thought into every one and wanted each one for at least a year before i pulled the trigger on it and actually went under the gun. I am in the developing stage of another one thinking about what i want and where. Also tatoos can grow with u, i am thinking on what to put around my back tat. If I did not work in a corp setting I would prob have a sleve.

Fire and Ice
12-13-07, 04:59 PM
So we've gone from tattoos (and people's opinions of them) to smoking (yet another debate) and come full circle back to tattoos. Makes me want to get more ink. If you don't see me on the forums much this month, find me in the local tattoo parlor getting some work done...

(waves)

Craig

Florian
12-13-07, 05:40 PM
Tag,

Your ink is FANTASTIC! The stories behind them...priceless. Good for you Tag....

F

dkozloski
12-13-07, 06:04 PM
Tag, I admire your ability to express your thoughts on your tatts. For you it's not just keeping up with the creeps. It has a deeper meaning and demonstrates your understanding of your life. Keep on trucking.

LS1Mike
12-13-07, 08:49 PM
With the current craze for tattoos, just think what all the grandparents will look like in 45 years. What happens when a young woman with "Harry" tattooed on her inner thigh marries George ???? (Flip the names and gender if necessary.....)

I actually saw a kid in a stroller with a tattoo on her left upper arm. (and it wasn't a decal...)

I made it 11 years without one, but toyed with idea of getting fish on my chest. They just don't appeal to me.

I did however know a guy I was in the Navy with that had a "Your Name" tattooed on his ass.
He would always say.
"I bet you 20 bucks I have your name tattooed on my ass"
"Yeah right I will take that bet"

He sure made a bunch of money witht hat one.

malcolm
12-13-07, 09:34 PM
I always wanted a rooster in a hangmans noose tattooed on my calf so I could say " I have a cock hanging below my knees".

cadillacnick99sls
12-13-07, 11:36 PM
in queens new york city. they call it the mark of the whore. usually a joke. alot of the girls i know have them . personally, I like them if they are well done and the girl looks good, of coarse

EcSTSatic
12-13-07, 11:57 PM
I always wanted a rooster in a hangmans noose tattooed on my calf s I could say " I have a cock hanging below my knees".

That's an old one. A buddy of mine did that in the Marines back in '76

TagApl4
12-14-07, 08:48 AM
I always wanted a rooster in a hangmans noose tattooed on my calf so I could say " I have a cock hanging below my knees".

That's an old one. A buddy of mine did that in the Marines back in '76

Since I was like 17 I have wanted to get Tucan Sam tattooed on my inner thy with the words "Follow your nose" but I think that may be my tatoo I regret.

Florian
12-14-07, 10:03 AM
ewwww.

F

Spyder
12-14-07, 12:29 PM
Yea, that one I'm not real fond of...doesn't go with the others nearly so well.

Red_October_7000
12-16-07, 12:37 AM
Some advice from my wonderful girlfriend, who has a number of tattoos:
-Always make sure it is someplace you can cover it up if you have to. She has 6 and if she dresses right (not hard either -doesn't need long sleeves) none of them show at all.
-Never get the crap in the books/on the walls, 57 other drunken college nutballs have that tattoo and their goes your originality. She designed all of hers herself. Obviously this is not an option for all of us! (I can't draw biological shapes for crap. Anything machine-made an angular, I'm good at, though).

Tattoos are like hats, in my oppinion. They can look good, or make you look like an ass. They can enhance who you are, or they can dominate it and make you look stupid so that nobody will take you seriously. Only thing is you don't need the F**k blasted out of you with a laser to take off your hat.