: Help with this code...97 Cadillac deville

dano2407
12-12-07, 08:50 AM
Okay i checked my codes and a couple that came up where P0101 which the code stands for mass air flow sensor performance. Does this mean that the mass air flow sensor could be bad? Then another one is P0122 this code stands for throttle position sensor circuit low voltage. Does anybody know what that means is it bad or what? I was wondering because every once in a while my service engine soon light will come on. It will run pretty rough when it comes on to. Please Help. This is a 97 Cadillac deville. with about97,000 miles. I just had oxygen sensors put on and fuel filter.

Submariner409
12-12-07, 09:40 AM
Unless someone messed with the MAF it should be OK......the sensor wires are fragile, but protected, and the whole unit is generally trouble-free.

Remove the engine beauty cover and take a half hour to unplug and reconnect every electrical connector you can see. It's amazing what tweaking an electrical connection, made 10 years ago, will do for overall performance.

Work carefully and methodically, taking care to insure each connector is fully reseated.

Good luck.........

dano2407
12-12-07, 10:56 AM
Unless someone messed with the MAF it should be OK......the sensor wires are fragile, but protected, and the whole unit is generally trouble-free.

Remove the engine beauty cover and take a half hour to unplug and reconnect every electrical connector you can see. It's amazing what tweaking an electrical connection, made 10 years ago, will do for overall performance.

Work carefully and methodically, taking care to insure each connector is fully reseated.

Good luck.........

Well Here is the deal the first time i cleaned my throttle body i took the MAF unit off and i really didnt know what it was and what it was for. I like to learn to do things on my own especially with my car. The little sensors did look to have a black spot on them so i took something to try to get it off with and i think i might have bent one of the pins a little. I dont think you can tell now but it might have had an effect on it. I also have another intake on cone filter. I bought one off of ebay. Seemed like i could tell a little bit in power for sure. I just wanted to try it and experiment with it. Could it be giving it problems? I will take a closer look at it when it quits raining and when i get time. But thanks for the information. I do need to check my connections as well.

Ranger
12-12-07, 04:50 PM
I also have another intake on cone filter. I bought one off of ebay.
That may be your problem.

Submariner409
12-12-07, 06:13 PM
So-called "cold air intakes (CAI)" are not truly effective in a N* environment because they all draw air from under the hood instead of the lower outside grille, and, to make problems worse, the throttlebody (TB) in a N* is either directly heated by coolant passages or by the attached coolant crossover. So you "cool" the air, then it's reheated by design. If your cone filter is an oil-wetted unit, you may have contaminated the MAF. Common problem.

If you "bent" one of the tiny resistors or supporting pins, you MAY be looking at a replacement ACDelco DELPHI unit.....rebuilt, $145 @ www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com) or new, around $225, same dealer.

Check all your connections and air pipe routing.....the direction and orientation of the MAF sensor makes a big difference in performance. The OEM intake tubes have special tabs and index grooves in them to make sure everything is properly set up, so the MAF connector will probably wind up pointed down and slightly forward, almost enough to get in the way of the transmission dipstick.

dano2407
12-13-07, 09:02 AM
Thanks alot guys for this information. My unit is not oil-wetted. I dont see it as a cold air intake. I always thought the more air you can take in the better. i look at my unit as taking in more air than the factory setup. Just because it has a shorter route for the air to get to the TB than the factory. Maybe thats not true. I really think its where i did the not smart thing and cleaned the senor a while back with TB cleaner to. I didnt know much about it. But i learn real quick. Not a big deal on getting a new one. Just when i get the money. Any input on the throttle positioning sensor i got an error on that to. P0122 this code stands for throttle position sensor circuit low voltage. Could it be bad? My car is not idling to well. A slight hesitation. Not bothering me to bad though but its the way i am. I want it just right and always worry about my car something being wrong with it. Thanks again guys.

Ranger
12-13-07, 09:41 PM
Well, regarding the air intake, our old Guru (GM powertrain engineer) told us that the Northstar intake system was designed flow all the air that the engine could swallow at WOT, so I don't think you are accomplishing anything. As he said, the Northstar was designed as a high performance engine and the designers would not restrict its output by using a restrictive air filter. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

As far as the throttle position sensor circuit low voltage, I am not sure what would cause that. Maybe a bad TPS.