: Do you get the same response when asked what car you drive?

kbevere
12-11-07, 11:09 AM
Why is it every time im asked what car I drive and I tell then its a Caddy I get the same response back, what are you an old man? Don't these people know Cadillac isn't the "old man" car anymore like in the past. If they take the time to just look at a Caddy of "today" they will see its not your daddies car anymore. I never until I got my self one and started on this site have I even known how many young guys drive a Caddy. So I ask of you do you get this when ever someone ask you what car you drive??? :banghead:

Oh yeah im asking because it happen to me again over the weekend.

Cadillacboy
12-11-07, 11:18 AM
I see your point and not only you drive a Caddy let's say you drive a Jag and you get same response from same persons ....It seems that this is a stereotype and you know those things can not be easily changed or replaced by a very opposite opinion .

gary88
12-11-07, 11:33 AM
Yep, I get the old man response a lot. Though I see way more old ladies driving my car, while the old guys get Corvettes.

Fire and Ice
12-11-07, 11:38 AM
I get that kind of response when people ask what I do for a living... You modify Cadillac cars???

malcolm
12-11-07, 11:39 AM
I've not been told that and I'm close to being an old man and have been in Cadlillacs since 1989.

Brizzal
12-11-07, 11:50 AM
yea people get on my case alot with my car, they say "why are you putting all this money into your car, and trying to make it fast?" Whats wrong with with speed and luxury? When i first got the car everyone would yell hey nice grandpa car. ever since i got the rims and tint, people dont say it as much

kbevere
12-11-07, 11:53 AM
I dont care how old you are if you like the car for what it is then so be it. Just because im 36 doesnt mean i need to be driving a Jetta! Also i even gotten with my caddy and my last 4 door car if im looking to start a family! Why because its a 4 door mid size car! People ill never understand them lol

My_favorite_Brougham
12-11-07, 11:59 AM
Hmm.. I actually never get the old man response. I always get: "Dude, you drive a Black Man's car" or "Hey, where's the pimp-mobile?" or "You gonna put 24's on her?" ...NO... or "Just because you're rich, doesn't mean you have to flaunt it!" (note: I'm not rich at all. I work 60 hours a week to make ends meet) However, when folks ride with me, they say I drive like a grandma and they think it suits the car, but I do drive like a grandma. I wait forever at intersections and go 5 under the speed limit, but that's only because it's safer and I don't want anything to happen to my Caddy's ...oh, and it saves on gas. ;)

Crown Vic Owner
12-11-07, 12:06 PM
Actually, i am the same way. If i take the caddy out, i drive spirited till the speed limit, than i back off

of course, most of the time its a fun car for me and a few buds and we go out flogging the shit out of that northstar.

c5 rv
12-11-07, 12:21 PM
My adult children try to bug me about it since I have a Cadillac and a Lincoln in the garage. I tell them to wait until I get a Buick Lucerne or a Honda Element converted for wheelchair access. One advantage of driving "old man" cars is that I don't get a lot of requests to borrow them.

Crown Vic Owner
12-11-07, 12:32 PM
lol, not a element

lucerne is fine, but a element

my god, a honda

unless its got a decent turbo its not even a option

Cadillacboy
12-11-07, 12:53 PM
Acura would be a smarter choice than honda .... lol

gdwriter
12-11-07, 01:12 PM
Mostly, the reaction I get is, ooooooo, a Cadillac! Maybe because it's in really good shape for its age, but my car still seems to command some respect.

My teenage niece the one who now has my '99 Accord coupe loves Cruella and wouldn't mind trading cars. Her boyfriend, a freshman at the University of North Dakota, loves Cadillacs as well.

Jesda
12-11-07, 01:26 PM
Its kind of neat when someone doesnt get it. Its like being in on a secret.

The coolest feeling was when I valet parked at a four-star hotel in Nashville (ironically, when I went to a car meet full of ricers [and some really cool Nissan people]). I called down to pick up my rented 2006 DTS and said, "Hi, this is Jesda in room XXX, I'm coming down to pick up my Cadillac."

Baller.

My_favorite_Brougham
12-11-07, 01:35 PM
Just curious, how much per day is it to rent a DTS? Did they triple the price since your under 30...lol

SlxAlxx
12-11-07, 02:15 PM
Funny I should see this thread because just the other day I was asked that very question. I was asked why I have such a gas guzzler, why I want to pollute the environment and waste resources so badly. This from someone who throws out half a plate of food because they're "full" and leaves water running and lights on when not in a room. Two words to describe that kind of person: DOUCHE BAG.

AMGoff
12-11-07, 02:37 PM
Acura would be a smarter choice than honda .... lol

Hardly.. if anything a Honda would be the smarter choice.. out of all of the "Jap-lux" marques I hate Acura the most. I've gotten into this argument so many times, especially with those who like them - Acura is not a luxury car maker, they're nothing more than a premium car maker. They don't do enough to differentiate their cars from the Hondas they're based off of. Not to mention their lack of a V8 - that's the biggest straw. Sadly, with the possible exception of the Navigator, it seems like Lincoln is becoming the "American Acura," nothing more than a premium car maker... which makes the necessity of Mercury even more perilous.

Anyway.. as far as people's responses go, they're mostly positive except for the few strict-import snobs I associate with. Even then they aren't really "old" comments... I can't even repeat the most common response I get, as to not offend anyone.

I don't really get the "old" stereotype anymore... at least around these parts, most elderly people I see are either in a Toyota/Lexus, a Grand Marquis/Town Car, or a late model Buick Lesabre/Park Avenue/Century... that last group is the most telling - even Buick is doing a good job at lowering the average age of it's buyers... I see a lot of middle-aged people driving around in the Lucerne and even younger folks in the Enclave.

But by far, Toyota seems to be the preferred car maker of the geriatric set.

Sinister Angel
12-11-07, 03:02 PM
My adult children try to bug me about it since I have a Cadillac and a Lincoln in the garage. I tell them to wait until I get a Buick Lucerne or a Honda Element converted for wheelchair access. One advantage of driving "old man" cars is that I don't get a lot of requests to borrow them.

Hey, can I borrow the Caddy for christmas vacation? ;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-11-07, 03:03 PM
The responce I get now: "You're 20 and drive that?!" or "this is YOUR car?" or my favorite "what do you do for a living?"

The responces I got with the Caddy or the Buick "oh wait, so why are you driving your grandpa's car?"

My_favorite_Brougham
12-11-07, 04:05 PM
I remember there was someone here who said they were a full-time realtor, and they needed a car to drive people around in. He was embarrassed and sold it for a Benz ...I think. I dont know about you, but I'm never ashamed about my Caddy and always enjoy passengers. How is a '92 Brougham embarrassing??? It's flat out American luxury, big and comfortable.

:patriot:

Lord Cadillac
12-11-07, 06:13 PM
Even better, people STILL don't realize that Cadillacs are fast (most of them).

Jesda
12-11-07, 06:15 PM
Just curious, how much per day is it to rent a DTS? Did they triple the price since your under 30...lol

I got a weekend rate, and I asked Enterprise for a discount since I was a regular customer. It ended up being about $75 per day with insurance. Mileage was unlimited, so I drove it all the way to Nashville and back. When it got hot at the meet, I crawled inside, turned on the AC seats, and fell asleep. LOVED IT!

Benzilla
12-11-07, 06:50 PM
I hardly ever get the old man comment anymore. At least not towards my Cadillacs, a few people make old man comments because I smoke Winstons though..

I think it has more to do with the area you live in. Everybody just asks me if I'm rich. Occasionally somebody will say "My grandmother drives a Cadillac" so I come back with "not like mine". Then once they see them, there's usually some stuff like asking if there's a body in the trunk, or one guy asked where all my hoes ran off too lol.

dkozloski
12-11-07, 06:55 PM
I'm an old man driving an old man's car. People come up to me and tell me I have a nice car and I say, "Thank you". Lincoln owners all look the other way in envy. When I see a Mercedes owner I ask, "How many people got killed in that wreck"? I get the Mercedes owner's response. They stick their nose in the air and stomp away. I ask the Escalade owners, "What kind of heat are you packin' in that gangsta car"? Life is good.

cadillacnick99sls
12-11-07, 07:52 PM
people used to say that to me when i had my 1988 seville. but when i got the 1999 seville, people treat me like im in the mob all i get is respect. My girl and all her friends love these cars because of mine. when i got this car all i get is compliments on it . people buy me coffe they let me cut lines at the car wash its funny. cadillac owners always talk to eachother at the auto shops checking eachothers cars out. Cadillac is the only car i will ever drive, Its a car with character. wouldnt be caught dead driving a low level import. only if its a s55 mercedes thats a nice car. I will always be cadillacnick and always own a caddy. Love these cars. Certain type of people drive caddys . you have to own one to understand :worship::worship::worship:

c5 rv
12-11-07, 08:58 PM
lol, not a element...

I agree, but we may soon need a vehicle that my wife can ride in while using a wheelchair and can be accessed in our garage.

http://www.fminow.com/element/Element_Exterior.htm

Maybe there will be some other good, non-minivan choices in the future.

And Sinister Angel, the answer is "No". (It's a tough love thing, ya know.)

hueterm
12-11-07, 09:18 PM
I got a couple of old man comments on the Concours, and a couple of "gangsta" comments on the EXT from people out of town. There are still so many SUVs and pickups sold in this area, that the EXT gets a pretty clean pass.

Sandy
12-11-07, 10:18 PM
It's been decades since anyone ever asked me what I drive, 'cause if they know me .... then they have seen it. They would NEVER say that I drive an old man's car - - - because I AM AN OLD MAN !!! (61 day after tomorrow) !

I have a mint, flawless, show ready, pristine, as day-1 1993 Sixty Special that is a 1-off. A 2003 Lincoln Town Car Spring Feature Car "THE LIMITED" with 10,003 miles on her, again, as new. The Cadillac (NEVER called a "caddy") has 9,840 miles on her.

My wife has a 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited 4X4 with 45,000 on her, and also MINT condition, which we frequently share.

The Cadillac: http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/
The Lincoln: http://images19.fotki.com/v207/photos/4/43979/179078/sandy4-vi.jpg?1124100164
The Jeep:http://images2.fotki.com/v14/photos/4/43979/179078/jeep-vi.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-11-07, 10:44 PM
I'd love to have an Imperial just so I could tell people I own one. Their response would always be priceless. Either they wouldn't know what it is, or they'd be like "oh, you mean that old Chrysler?!?"

gdwriter
12-11-07, 11:51 PM
I'd love to have an Imperial just so I could tell people I own one. Their response would always be priceless. Either they wouldn't know what it is, or they'd be like "oh, you mean that old Chrysler?!?"To quote Ethel Merman during the first car chase in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (http://www.imperialclub.org/Movies/Mad/index.htm), "We're the ones in the Imperial, and we're running last?!"

CadillacGurl
12-11-07, 11:54 PM
I like the reaction I get that I film drag races with Cadillacs + bf drag races his caddy... I get the :wtf: look and "are you on crack?" look too :D

dkozloski
12-12-07, 01:59 AM
Imperial; made from doggy doo held together with rubber bands, paperclips, and glue.

sikohsix
12-12-07, 02:25 AM
I don't get "old man" comments on my vehicles, not even the Concours. I'm kinda young, a fly 42.I think that it was only from the late '70's until the very recent past that people associated Cadillac w/ only the senior population. With all the new product, the Cadillac image is moving away from that. Truth be told, it seems like most of the older people around my way who drive luxury cars are in lexus, MB or BMW. But cadillac still has its seniors dedicated to the brand. I swear, I'm in Harlem a couple weeks ago and saw this senior Blackman w/ a black on black DTS convertible. Not a simcon top. Convertible. Fully loaded, NAV,20 in. wire wheels and Vogues. Totally modern.

DopeStar 156
12-12-07, 03:25 AM
I typically get the "pimp" or "mob" response actually. My friend and cohost on our radio show was driving in front of my '89 Fleetwood Brougham and said, "I see why you like those cars now, looking at it in my mirror it looks like some sinister monster car is following me." I haven't heard the old man thing in a long time (only once, Civic driver) and mine are the ones usually associated as such.......

kbevere
12-12-07, 09:03 AM
I have to say now that I own a Cadillac I don't think ill ever drive anything else again. Well only if I ever get my Vette as a second car. but other then that I will always drive a Cadillac. I don't care if its not the best car in the world but its an American car and I will never go back to those ":rice2:" cars. Im already thinking my next Caddy will be an STS. That's how ill be moving up with my cars. Just hearing me say Cadillac to people who ask is all the pleasure I need. :bacon2:

CadillacSTS42005
12-12-07, 09:23 AM
lol
i get the old comment alot
then i line the ETC up next to their imports
and they shut up pretty fast...
they write checks with their mouths that their imports cant cash...

Crown Vic Owner
12-12-07, 11:34 AM
my bud told me that I neede to get rid of my car, until I threw it In second, got to 40 and threw the throttle down. Apparently my car sounds like a raped ape. The sad thing is, he was driving a really modded crown vic

blunted
12-12-07, 12:29 PM
people used to say that to me when i had my 1988 seville. but when i got the 1999 seville, people treat me like im in the mob all i get is respect. My girl and all her friends love these cars because of mine. when i got this car all i get is compliments on it . people buy me coffe they let me cut lines at the car wash its funny. cadillac owners always talk to eachother at the auto shops checking eachothers cars out. Cadillac is the only car i will ever drive, Its a car with character. wouldnt be caught dead driving a low level import. only if its a s55 mercedes thats a nice car. I will always be cadillacnick and always own a caddy. Love these cars. Certain type of people drive caddys . you have to own one to understand :worship::worship::worship:

Couldn't have said it better.. its like a secret club among other caddy owners. I get Caddy guys honking at me in traffic, speeding up to ask about something, one guy left a note on my windshield about my exhaust. My neighborhood isn't so great but everyone around here knows the car and respects it.. Like when some lady hit my door and took off.. a guy that saw it happen followed her and took down all the information and left me a note.
Alot of people tell me it looks like i'm in the mob or something with the Eldo.. homeless people dont stop at my car for change even though it'll be the nicest car at the light. Lots of little stuff like that happens. :cool:
I see myself always being a Cadillac guy and will probably never be able to sell the Eldorado, but I will have to buy the Camaro in 09. My GF is already giving me a guilt trip with "How could you possibly drive anything but a Cadillac??.." She doesn't understand the 400 something horses that monster will have.. :bonkers: