Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Change a 2002 OEM radio to a 2003 OEM radio

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  drfong 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Deville DHS with the Bose factory radio with RDS. I want to add XM capability but I understand that the 2002 radio did not have that capabilty. Found a 2003 Deville radio on e-bay and was told by the vender that it would fit the 02-04 deville. I read somewhere that the 2003 radio (also Bose, RDS) is XM capable. Is this true and can I add an XM after-market kit, such as Terk or something to the radio. The Terk information indicates that the 2003 radio is XM capable and the kit can be used. I also think I will have to have to dealer do his magic with his Tech 2 to program the radio for my car. Any thoughts or help or did I just waste $50.00? :stirpot:

#5 ·
I Am Considering The Purchase Of A 2004 Deville Which Has A Radio With Cd, But When Looking At The Auto, I Did Not Note If It Was A Bose.

As A '50's Kind Of Guy, I Prefer The 2002 Radio Which Has Both Cd And Cassette Drives. The Radio In The 2004 Looks Exactly Like The 2002 In My Wife's 2002 Dts And Is A Bose.

If A Purchase Of The 2004 Is Accomplished, And If There Is An Easy Installation Procedure, I Would Contact You Relative To A Swap.

J. Pace

#6 ·
I am like you, in my dotage, and I like the cassette as well as the CD. If the 2003 Bose I have now will work in my 2002 DHS, then I will have a spare 2002 cd/cassetee Bose. I am waiting to hear from a guy who is checking the part number on the 2003 Bose radio I now have to see if it is XM ready and if so, he sees no problem in my installing an aftermarket XM receiver. I seem to remember reading that the 2002 to 2004 deville radios will all fit physically, but you must have a Bose system to use with a Bose radio.

#7 ·
If the 02 deville is like the 02 seville the stock radio will work with the aftermarket XM box. It just needs to be wired up. I don't know if it is the same or not. My 02 seville has a cd changer in the center console. The plug that comes with the kit does not fit, you have to improvise. Eventhough the aftermarket sirrus and xm boxes say they work with 03 and up they also work with the 02. When you hook it up the xm function magicly happens. There are several threads on here showing how to hook it up. I you have the same radio in the deville, you don't need to swap it out.

#8 ·
That is very interesting information. Is your a Bose? Mine is a Bose but doesn't have a CD changer so maybe that is the difference. I will try and find something on here as to wiring instructions. Did you use the Terk (now Audiovox) adapter? XMDGMK I believe. Thanks for the information. If it works, it will save the expense of going to the dealer to get the 2003 radio programmed for the 2002 car. My local dealer was less than helpful. The much closer Buick dealer gave me more information actually.

#9 ·
I don't know if the Deville and Seville radios are the same. Mine is the bose system with RDS/TA button in the top left corner and has a single cd and cassette in the head unit. Mine also has a CD Changer in the center console. I know one of the threads here did a seville install that did not have the changer. The harness for it was there. They just hooked up to the harness. I don't know the location of where the changer would be in a deville had you had the option. If you can find that out and there is a harness there, you should be able to follow the same directions. One of the threads explaining this is stickied to the top of this section.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...s/85948-my-2002-seville-xm-direct-wiring.html

The other without the cd changer is
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...highlight=2002+seville+satelite+radio+install

hope that helps

#10 ·
The CD changer, if it were to have one, would be located in the glove box. There may be a harness behind the glove box anyway. But it seems this is possible looking at the wiring instructions. I'll let you know if I need more help and let you know when it is working. Got to find an XM receiver now. The XMDGMK appears to have been discontinued by Audiovox. My current radio is exactly like yours but no changer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.