: 2008 Challenger SRT-8 now on sale

Florian
12-10-07, 11:37 PM
for 38K. Only 1000 being offered in initial run. Dealers are taking orders for MSRP +20K. Read this today in Automotive News. Hoo fah

F

DILLIGAF
12-10-07, 11:50 PM
+20=what a joke!

caddycruiser
12-11-07, 12:07 AM
Yes, only the top end SRT-8's to start, and they will definitely be sold out and overcharged for, in their short model year.

Then up comes all the "regular" ones, with the 5.7L or 3.5L more equipment choices, and lower prices. Problem is, it's SO retro--cool, yes, but retro almost like a joke--AND a heavy, 2 door coupe not made for efficiency...so the attraction will only last so long.

We shall see.

gdwriter
12-11-07, 01:53 AM
Although I don't care for Fords, I have to admit Ford has been smart with the Mustang. Keeping the price down, even to the point of sticking with a live axle instead of an IRS, makes it more affordable to a wider audience and highly profitable. If I were looking to buy a Mustang, Challenger or Camaro, I'd definitely want the V-8, but Dodge and Chevrolet need to keep the prices reasonable if they want to have any significant market share.

By the same token, Ford goofed with the Thunderbird and overpriced it, even though it looked great.

Brizzal
12-11-07, 02:08 AM
any pics yet? only thing i like about dodge is the SRT-8 line

HITMONEY
12-11-07, 03:49 AM
for 38K. Only 1000 being offered in initial run. Dealers are taking orders for MSRP +20K. Read this today in Automotive News. Hoo fah

F

Pay 20k over sticker for a hot car, but the whole experience will have been like buying a 15 year old hot rod from a Buy-Here-Pay-Here lot.

:cookoo:

Florian
12-11-07, 10:25 AM
tru.dat

F

yellowxhoodie
12-11-07, 12:19 PM
i would never pay 20K extra for a car. Especially the first run of one, which are normally know to have a few problems which will eventually get fixed, but always seem to get overlooked on the first year or two.

Rolex
12-11-07, 02:11 PM
In a year they'll be offering 20k off the sticker price to move the ones frozen on dealer lots. Cool car but anybody that pays that premium has more $$$ then they have good sense.

CadillacSTS42005
12-11-07, 05:30 PM
so wait
the car is 18K and your paying 20K over making it a 38K car?
or the cars 30K PLUS 20K to have the esteem of being a guinea pig

AMGoff
12-11-07, 05:54 PM
Although I don't care for Fords, I have to admit Ford has been smart with the Mustang. Keeping the price down, even to the point of sticking with a live axle instead of an IRS, makes it more affordable to a wider audience and highly profitable. If I were looking to buy a Mustang, Challenger or Camaro, I'd definitely want the V-8, but Dodge and Chevrolet need to keep the prices reasonable if they want to have any significant market share.

By the same token, Ford goofed with the Thunderbird and overpriced it, even though it looked great.

The Mustang was/is an entirely different story... they've always been a staple of the Ford lineup so manufacturing capacity was already in place, added to that the fact that they raided the company parts-bin for all of it's underpinnings.

Regardless of that, IIRC there were markups on the first batch of the new Mustangs... it's just like any other "hot" new vehicle.

With the Challenger, I highly doubt that the MSRP+20K will be across the board... it will of course ultimately vary up or down depending on location, demand, and external market fluctuations. Really though, it's not all that surprising since Chrysler is keeping the first run's numbers artificially low...

All I know is I'm really looking forward to this car, more so than the Camaro... and I've never really been a fan of the Mustang. For me at least, the Challenger is definitely "drool-worthy."

I just hope I can find a dealer that'll have one to take out for spin!

hueterm
12-11-07, 09:48 PM
Remember when PT Cruisers were going for premiums and had many month long waits...? And SSRs?

I wish the Challenger looked less 70s Chrysler retro...the Charger doesn't look like an Aspen and the 300 doesn't look like a Volare...

Spyder
12-11-07, 09:59 PM
The Aspen and Volare were never desirable...except for those O-So-Sweet front end parts that you could slap on the old cars and trucks and have disc brakes and power steering for a hundred bucks.

AMGoff
12-11-07, 09:59 PM
so wait
the car is 18K and your paying 20K over making it a 38K car?
or the cars 30K PLUS 20K to have the esteem of being a guinea pig

You think it's $18K, you're joking right? The MSRP of the SRT-8 is $38K, which is on par with their other SRT models. Once production ramps up they'll offer lesser trim levels (ie - base, R/T, etc...), probably starting in the $22-24K range.

CTSV_Rob
12-11-07, 10:02 PM
I was going to get a challenger but I decided to go with the CTS-V instead. I think the Challanger will be a nice car but 20K over MSRP, yeah right.