: Custom Exhaust ?

Ferny
12-10-07, 08:29 PM
ok guys, i did a search but didnt find what i was looking for.

so here we go,

on my old 300C i had custom pipes done with 2 flowmasters put on and it sounded sick! now my buddy did the same to his corvette LS2 and it sounds like shit. i noticed that the pipes on the V are pretty big. so heres my question, if i do the same with V, will it sound like crap? i can go magnaflow or flowmaster. or should i just save up and get a cat- back? my muffler guy is really good. hes done 5 of my cars already. so what do you think? please dont bash me if its a stupid question, im just not sure! :hmm:

nikon
12-10-07, 08:56 PM
go for a cat-back

magnaflow
corsa
borla
b&b
zoomers

I may be missing one but you have plenty of options.

Wads56
12-10-07, 09:24 PM
The stock system is stainless 2 1/2. I couldn't see throwing away a new exhaust system, so I made one of my own. I just bought a Magnaflow x pipe and mufflers and welded them in place. It sounds great and my exhaust tips look much cooler the the ones that come from magnaflow.

theloanman219
12-10-07, 10:41 PM
go for a cat-back

magnaflow
corsa
borla
b&b
zoomers

I may be missing one but you have plenty of options.

Stainless

Black Sunshine
12-10-07, 11:17 PM
I don't know what kind of tips you saw on the flows but I really like the look (and sound) of mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/TheDonCTSV11_10_07Small124.jpg

theloanman219
12-10-07, 11:39 PM
what is your gene?

Gene

Black Sunshine
12-10-07, 11:51 PM
Gene,

It's a stainless Magnaflow catback with x-pipe and the polished mufflers w/ 4" tips. If we ever find the identical setup for my Kooks headers that UPS seems to have lost, this system will be for sale/trade.

Black Sunshine
12-11-07, 01:00 AM
Damn, guess I'll have to drop my price if I decide to sell it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magnaflow-Exhaust-CTS-V_W0QQitemZ160186884777QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33630QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ferny
12-11-07, 12:57 PM
The stock system is stainless 2 1/2. I couldn't see throwing away a new exhaust system, so I made one of my own. I just bought a Magnaflow x pipe and mufflers and welded them in place. It sounds great and my exhaust tips look much cooler the the ones that come from magnaflow.

thats exactly what i was talking about. i knowi will get a bit more HP if i go cat back, but the car has plenty of power and i dont race my car. ( i got to many damn speeding tickets already :thepan:) so i think this is the way i want to go. anything i should know before i do it??

whisler151
12-11-07, 01:33 PM
Here is what Flowmaster super 44 sound like. Someone posted this on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1EN9Sve288

Ferny
12-11-07, 01:36 PM
Here is what Flowmaster super 44 sound like. Someone posted this on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1EN9Sve288

damn it! its blocked by my company! is their anyway to post the video so i can hear it from this site. it was done on another thread about selling the V for an srt-8

JonCR96Z
12-11-07, 03:44 PM
Is this what you're talking about?
9v81PkDSudw
O1EN9Sve288

Vids don't do it justice. It's way louder in person. There's no comparison between the super 44s and the magnaflows that they replaced. Though this is with no cats, so yours won't be quite as loud.

Jon

onebadcad
12-11-07, 04:17 PM
Nice exhaust sound, and the chirping was sweet too.
I am almost inspired to get off my arse and vid my rolling burnouts.

Ferny
12-11-07, 04:33 PM
oh man! those sound sweeeet!!!!!!!!! im torn between the flowmaster or the magnaflow! the magnaflow sounds a bit more quite ( a good sound though), and that flowmaster sounds killer! is that the flowmaster 44?

Wads56
12-11-07, 07:12 PM
thats exactly what i was talking about. i knowi will get a bit more HP if i go cat back, but the car has plenty of power and i dont race my car. ( i got to many damn speeding tickets already :thepan:) so i think this is the way i want to go. anything i should know before i do it??

I just made sure that i placed the x-pipe in the same place that the stock resenator crossed over.

Ferny
01-09-08, 11:49 PM
ok guys, so today i went to see my exhaust shop. i was going to go with a flowmaster and the dude tells me to just take off the mufflers and put tips. leave the resonater where its at. what do you guys think??? im kinda iffy? im not looking for performance cuz i dont race the car. i just want a nice tone to it! HELP!!!! :worship: what if i do that and take the resonator off too???

911ss
01-10-08, 12:46 AM
im thinking about just replacing the muffler with straight pipes. ive heard lots of straight pipe lsx cars and they all sound great to me. ill let ya know what i do. i was going to leave the resonator for now btw but prob change it out soon.

Ferny
01-10-08, 12:47 PM
im thinking about just replacing the muffler with straight pipes. ive heard lots of straight pipe lsx cars and they all sound great to me. ill let ya know what i do. i was going to leave the resonator for now btw but prob change it out soon.

thats exactly what i meant!! ive never heard one set up like this!

911ss
01-10-08, 11:11 PM
i think it will sound great, go ahead and do it lol. i honestly dont think it will be to loud and itll be decently deep. if i get time ill get mine done this weekend.

Black Sunshine
01-11-08, 07:40 AM
Take off the OEM mufflers (and maybe the resonators). Mmmmmm.....

Me thinks you've got yourself a set of straight pipes that will sound like always open cutouts. Imagine that set up will wake up the dead.

So why not just put your muffler choice on and add a set of cutouts? Kinda on demand, bad ass mofo.

My personal exhaust preferences are shaped by the fact that I need to be able to have a decent sounding phone conversation while driving down the road so an always open exhaust would just be too loud (even with sound proofing).

Ferny
01-11-08, 01:12 PM
good point! anybody else???

Wads56
01-11-08, 10:01 PM
Loud:eek: When your on the gas it will sound good. When your engine braking it will sound like a farm truck.

enyo
01-11-08, 11:12 PM
MufflerTech? Is that who you're using? I had mine done there and the system sounds sick, just followed their advice. They've done all my cars and never let me down.

911ss
01-12-08, 12:06 AM
lots of very personal opinions on here. im going to go with straights, then if i dont like ill just add a muffler which would be very simple to do. ohh and i dont drive around just to make my phone conversations more entertaining;) im going to try and get mine done this weekend. shame on the guys who sit back and talk crap instead of getting off your ass and trying new and different things.

Black Sunshine
01-12-08, 03:47 AM
shame on the guys who sit back and talk crap instead of getting off your ass and trying new and different things.

:hmm: Did we miss something?

Ferny
01-12-08, 12:58 PM
MufflerTech? Is that who you're using? I had mine done there and the system sounds sick, just followed their advice. They've done all my cars and never let me down.

na, its mufflers express. hes done all my custom exhausts. 2 civics converted to dual exhaust. my tahoe, the 300C. i trust the guy, kinda, so i mite do it next week.

911ss
01-12-08, 01:52 PM
I'm posting from my exhaust shop right now. Ill have sound clips of my straight pipes this weekend

911ss
01-12-08, 02:20 PM
Car sounds great, not loud at wot but nice tone. I want louder, I'm prob gonna add a super 44 or bullet muffler

911ss
01-12-08, 03:00 PM
Car sounds great, not loud at wot but nice tone. I want louder, I'm prob gonna add a super 44 or bullet muffler

Ferny
01-12-08, 04:26 PM

hurry bro!!! i want a sound clip!!!!!!! :worship:

911ss
01-12-08, 05:52 PM
Lol it'll prob be late tonight or tomorrow until I get a clip posted. I'm not home and done have my camera. If you want loud get the flowmaster. If you want deep and not so loud at wot get only straights. I got some sweet big oval tips too.

911ss
01-12-08, 05:56 PM
I still have the reapnator on. I might replace it tomorrow with some straight pipes and are what it sounds like. Then maybe make a h or x pipe for it

911ss
01-12-08, 06:49 PM
I still have the reapnator on. I might replace it tomorrow with some straight pipes and are what it sounds like. Then maybe make a h or x pipe for it

randycsvt
01-12-08, 07:55 PM
your typing got worse after the exhaust...somebody has been sniffing the exhaust gas too long!!!

just messing with you. Post some sound clips or videos.

911ss
01-13-08, 11:33 AM
lol im posting from my phone and the auto word thing messes up sometimes and sometimes it runs off the screen so i cant see it.

911ss
01-13-08, 05:03 PM
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/bigj_11_null/?action=view&current=Picture220.flv

its echoing a little bc of the garage but you get the point, and yes, its cold.

randycsvt
01-13-08, 10:10 PM
It sounds a little raspy to me. Does it sound better once the car warms up?

911ss
01-13-08, 11:35 PM
yea, and honestly, i couldnt really hear it inside the car at all. i can hear the motor over the exhaust at wot.

CTS-V-08
01-13-08, 11:37 PM
Dido ?

Ferny
01-14-08, 02:18 PM
damn it! stupid work computer! gota wait till tonight!!! but thanks 911, cant wait to hear it!

Silver Dollar
01-14-08, 03:15 PM
I've traveled the same road you fellas are on. I had a muffler and exhaust shop customized my stock exhaust system.

Step 1: ditched the mufflers, left everything else.
Result: too tame. The resonator removes a lot of sound.

Step 2: replaced resonator with X pipe
Result: drove it with straight pipes for 2 weeks. Sounded raspy and mean, but got a lot of "POP POP POP" on deceleration which I didn't like.

Step 3: added single chamber Flowmasters w/ 4 inch tips.
Results: Sounds awesome. Cleaned up the raspyness and popping. Has some drone at 2k rpm. I've been driving it this way for 1 year now.

I have a thread with sound clips posted on here. I'll see if I can find it.

The best part is, the whole deal, including all of the experimentation cost me ~$350 and, IMO, sounds as good or better than most aftermarket cat back systems.

Silver Dollar
01-14-08, 03:18 PM
Oh, I'll also add my $0.02 on glass pack "bullet" type mufflers. I don't like the sound. Sounds too much like a pick up truck.

911ss
01-15-08, 12:03 AM
when i say bullet im not talking about glasspacks. im refering to mostly dynomax bullet mufflers. not the same as glasspack mufflers.

911ss
01-15-08, 12:04 AM
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D24215&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Ferny
01-17-08, 02:00 PM
:shocked2: I WANT IT!!!!! THAT SOUNDS SIIIIICK!!!! :highfive:
THANKS 911! I WILL DO THIS VERY SOON!!!

Ferny
01-17-08, 05:37 PM
oh! one more question! now that the exhaust is gone, what about back pressure?? cuz its basically straight pipes now. can this harm the engine??

Ferny
01-18-08, 01:45 PM
BuMp!