: Lower Control Arm Bushings

AwfulSmokey
12-10-07, 07:16 PM
I got some bushings from ebay for $65 /pr shipped from the UK. That beats $69/ea from my local stealership. If anyone wants the guys name n such, let me know.

Now, how do i go about putting them on? Any special tools needed? Do i need to get a front end alignment after completing? It would be the front lower (2 rear)

frank moran
12-10-07, 09:34 PM
I got some bushings from ebay for $65 /pr shipped from the UK. That beats $69/ea from my local stealership. If anyone wants the guys name n such, let me know.

Now, how do i go about putting them on? Any special tools needed? Do i need to get a front end alignment after completing? It would be the front lower (2 rear)

smokey, what I did was remove the contol am from the car, separate it at the the ball joint, mark with a scribe the loction of the strut bolts for reassembly. Once out, get a sawzall and cut through the shell of the old busing, be careful not to go into the control arm. An air chisel will work but the sawzall is much cleaner....Note the location of the old one before you remove it. The best thing is to press the new ones in, a press is best or a large vise. You can make up a jacking screw arrangment but a press is best. Yes a alignment is needed as you will change the camber setting during disassembly .
One note of caution, dont go hammering on the bushing ear to drive the bushing in, you WILL bend the control arm. They are only stamped sheet metal tack welded together.

Mohegan22
04-30-08, 08:37 PM
Please tell me the point of contact for the Lower Control Arm front bushing for the Catera. My car sits, until I replace them, and I've been trying to find a deal on the internet, but most discount places are on back order or only offer a higher replacement one. Thanks in advance for your help.

elvin315
04-30-08, 09:24 PM
Wow. Did anyone read my thread on Catera suspension bushings? (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/137056-aftermarket-suspension-bushings.html) I guess not.

Whatever. At the top of my list is a video showing you how to make a tool to remove bushings. You can also use it to insert the new ones. Just reverse the process.

Elvin

Mohegan22
05-01-08, 05:01 PM
Thanks Elvin, I just placed my order for a pair. I appreciate all your work going into compiling this information for car users like myself. You not only saved me money, but several more hours on the phone and internet trying to find someone who carries these bushing, not to mention, more days without a vehicle. Thanks again.

I can’t wait to watch the video. But in the time being, my friend has a hydraulic press we’re going to use and monkey rig something up.