: cell phone

madooch
12-10-07, 09:34 AM
anyone get the new voyager from verizon they compare it to the i phone just wondering if anyone has it and what they think of it i am think about getting one would like some feed back.

Playdrv4me
12-10-07, 11:44 AM
From my research it appears to be a decent device. Basically, just imagine the plain old Verizon UI in a more advanced touchscreen version, with a large keyboard and internal screen as well. It has also full HTML web browsing just like the iphone.

AMGoff
12-10-07, 12:25 PM
Cheap, two-bit knock off if you ask me...

gary88
12-10-07, 01:38 PM
Cheap, two-bit knock off if you ask me...

That's what I hear. Seems like they put up a valiant effort, but came up miles short of being the proclaimed "iPhone killer".

Playdrv4me
12-10-07, 02:36 PM
Yea, but for anyone stuck in a Verizon contract, and/or anyone who wants to use FULL SPEED broadband and still have the stylish appeal of the iphone it's a worthwhile upgrade. Also, the Voyager has an actual keyboard.

AMGoff
12-10-07, 03:33 PM
True... but I'm sure whatever it costs to break your Verizon contract is less than the $300 price of admission for what equates to just another Verizon cell phone. The keyboard thing is a non issue for me at least... I'm pretty much up to speed with the virtual keyboard and any mistakes I make are properly corrected 99% of the time. Now if there's zero Cingul...errr.. ATT service in your area I completely understand however, if the whole 3G thing is the only real roadblock, then it would make sense to wait for v2.0 iPhone, which I'm betting will be announced in January. Personally, I don't find it to be that big of a deal... the Edge network is more than adequate for me on the rare occasions that I use it, I'd say 70% of my time is spent within wifi range. Not only that, but at least around these parts, 3G service is far from universal so I'd end up on the Edge network anyway. Of course the other reason it was a no-brainer for me was because I needed a new cell phone and I had been wanting a new iPod anyway; I'd also had the same number/account with the company since the days when it was Comcast Cellular One and except for a few billing screw ups over the years I've found their service to be above average. Had Verizon caved to Apple's demands and struck a deal for the iPhone I probably wouldn't have one... as much as I think it's as close to perfect as a phone can get, I'd have no real reason to switch carriers... I always try to reward companies with loyalty when they've consistently provided me with decent, reliable products/services.

gary88
12-10-07, 03:41 PM
I think the release of the 3G iPhone is set for May 2008. Price will probably be $600 again.

EDGE is plenty fast in Chicago, and I don't really need the 16 GB that will probably come with the upgraded iPhone too.

Playdrv4me
12-10-07, 04:19 PM
You see, I do have a valid need for the 3G EVDO service because I tether my laptop to it and EDGE suffers from terrible latency, so if there were any chance I were going to switch from CDMA to GSM, the 3G iphone, in all its ridiculously overpriced goodness, would be the one I'd go for.