: Heat not blowing hot enough air!

Catera315
12-09-07, 04:01 PM
For the past two weeks I've been trying to troubleshoot this problem. First off, the guage only reads around 1/4, so I figured the thermostat may stuck open, so I went and purchased the thermostat which I had no idea that you have to remove the plenium. So then I had to purchase a gasket for that plenium. I haven't replaced the thermostat yet, waiting on the gasket. I noticed that when drive, it blows hot air, when it idles, it cools down. I've read everything about the auxillary pumps and the heater core. Both my bro and pops are mechanics and they seem to think that it's the t-stat. I went and did some testing on the auxillary pumps, the one on the passenger side has power going to it, the driver side has none, is there a relay for the driver side and does the power kick on at a certain temp? This car is really becomming annoying, although I love it...any suggestions out there?

Cadi Cat
12-09-07, 07:31 PM
For the past two weeks I've been trying to troubleshoot this problem. First off, the guage only reads around 1/4, so I figured the thermostat may stuck open, so I went and purchased the thermostat which I had no idea that you have to remove the plenium. So then I had to purchase a gasket for that plenium. I haven't replaced the thermostat yet, waiting on the gasket. I noticed that when drive, it blows hot air, when it idles, it cools down. I've read everything about the auxillary pumps and the heater core. Both my bro and pops are mechanics and they seem to think that it's the t-stat. I went and did some testing on the auxillary pumps, the one on the passenger side has power going to it, the driver side has none, is there a relay for the driver side and does the power kick on at a certain temp? This car is really becomming annoying, although I love it...any suggestions out there?

My guage doesn't go up all that high either. But I'm positive it's the thermostat because it only gets hot when It's been idling for a while or in city driving. As soon as I hit the freeway it cools down and the guage drops to almost the bottom on a cold day. But I still have heat it's just luke warm. And my fans never come on since the coolant stays so cool. And yes there are relays for those aux pumps. It will say in your owners manual and under the steering column.

investor74
12-09-07, 11:00 PM
I just had my heater control valve replaced because it was leaking coolant and now my heater is working much better than it has in years.:bouncy: I didn't realize how good a Catera heater can be. May or may not be your problem.

Catera315
12-10-07, 01:27 AM
I guess I could try to narrow down the problem starting with the T-stat once the gasket comes in for the plenium. Where is the heater control valve located, how hard of a job is it to replace and how much was that part? I would appreciate the info...thnx

TitanCTS
12-10-07, 07:10 PM
You definitely have air in your system.. Bleed out all the air as much as possible.. Regardless of outside temp your thermo stat should always be in the middle and on a cold day should not drop more than 20-25 degrees.. if it drops to the 1/4 mark or lower then the thermo stat is definitely staying open which is generally not a good thing. But definitely bleed out your cooling system and if that doesnt work then your heater core would most likely need to be replaced.

Catera315
12-13-07, 02:48 PM
You definitely have air in your system.. Bleed out all the air as much as possible.. Regardless of outside temp your thermo stat should always be in the middle and on a cold day should not drop more than 20-25 degrees.. if it drops to the 1/4 mark or lower then the thermo stat is definitely staying open which is generally not a good thing. But definitely bleed out your cooling system and if that doesnt work then your heater core would most likely need to be replaced.

I just replaced the t-stat yesterday, and boy was I not happy with the process. The temp guage shows it is reaching operating temp much quicker now, hot air when I drive, cooler when I'm at a red light. I'm wondering if the auxillary pumps have anything to do with it? Should there be some kinda pressure in the hoses to the heater core from that aux pump on the passenger side? The hoses are hot, but not sure if that pump kicks on at certain times or if should be running all the time.:confused:

frank moran
12-13-07, 04:32 PM
I just replaced the t-stat yesterday, and boy was I not happy with the process. The temp guage shows it is reaching operating temp much quicker now, hot air when I drive, cooler when I'm at a red light. I'm wondering if the auxillary pumps have anything to do with it? Should there be some kinda pressure in the hoses to the heater core from that aux pump on the passenger side? The hoses are hot, but not sure if that pump kicks on at certain times or if should be running all the time.:confused:

It sounds like the aux pump under the coolent tank on the pass. side. It should run full time, put a stethesope/screwdriver etc. on it an listen for it running. The regular engine pump cant move enough coolent through the heater core.....thus the aux pump.

446Dart
12-21-07, 11:46 AM
The first day I owned my 2000 the heat quit blowing hot. I took it back to the dealer, they had previously replaced the radiator, t-stat and all hoses before I bought it. I thought it might just be an air pocket in the cooling system, but as it turned out, the heater core was plugged. I was told it is a common problem with these. Might try there.