: ABS&TCS lights on and no speedometer-What gives?

smcrosby
12-08-07, 11:07 PM
I have a '98 Catera I am trying to resurect. Seems I have had all the issues on this one. I am still trying to figure out why my ABS and TCS lights come on intermittently and when they do the speedometer does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Po Pimp
12-08-07, 11:19 PM
Sounds like your VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or wiring to it. If this went out the TC and ABS would be missing a critical piece of information, most likely setting the lights off.

10KTGOLD
12-09-07, 01:14 AM
EBTCM ,Do a search

Cadi Cat
12-09-07, 02:37 AM
EBTCM ,Do a search

What he said... You can find the company that rebuilds these on ebay. It's a little tight getting it out and in but well worth saving the money. Or if you have a good mechanic to take it to.

ewill3rd
12-09-07, 09:26 AM
EBCM, yep.
Make sure you are sitting down when you get an estimate.
Lots of threads on this concern.

smcrosby
12-09-07, 09:12 PM
I thought that the EBTCM was the culprit. I just wanted to get some confirmation. Before I started researching this forum I was convinced it was the VSS. Glad I didn't pay $100+ for one, only to find my problem still existed. I think I am going to get a cheap used one and see if it works. If it doesn't I'll send my old one out to get rebuilt. I have a '98, is that the only year model that will work with my car?

I drove my Cat for the first time today (I have had to do a TON of work on it.) These really are nice driving cars. Good thing, 'cause I've got alot more invested in it than it is worth. Not making any money on this one!

ewill3rd
12-10-07, 08:18 AM
Catera uses the right rear wheel speed sensor through the ABS module to determine VSS.
The sensor in the transmission is used for diagnostic purposes for internal transmission ratios and component wear mostly.

I think these are plug and play, but it has been a while.
I think you shouldn't be limited to one year. If it were me I'd talk to a GM parts guy, have him check the catalog to see what years the part number for your car fits and go from there.

smcrosby
12-10-07, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I got the old one out today--it was tight, but not as bad as some stuff I've had to work on. I am a little nervous about reinstallation. I think those screws are going to be real tricky to get threaded back on.

Is there any way to get my old radio to recognize my new BCM? It is locked right now. And then I get to take it to the dealership to get my Air Bag light diagnosed for a ridiculous $160.00. Then I can finally start driving it.

smcrosby
12-15-07, 04:11 PM
Put the used one in today. When I first started the car the ABS and TCS lights did not come on. I was optimistic that I had fixed my problem, but then after I drove about 30 feet or so the lights came back on and the speedometer quit working again. Is it likely that the used one I got is bad also, or do I have another problem? I didn't take any shortcuts swapping them out, so I don't think that is a problem. I am not real excited about spending $160 at the dealer for them to tell me that I still have a bad EBTCM. What can I do?

HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Cadi Cat
12-16-07, 01:57 AM
Put the used one in today. When I first started the car the ABS and TCS lights did not come on. I was optimistic that I had fixed my problem, but then after I drove about 30 feet or so the lights came back on and the speedometer quit working again. Is it likely that the used one I got is bad also, or do I have another problem? I didn't take any shortcuts swapping them out, so I don't think that is a problem. I am not real excited about spending $160 at the dealer for them to tell me that I still have a bad EBTCM. What can I do?

HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

yes it is very likely that the used part is also no good. Actually I'm positive of that. When the ABS, TCS and speedo stop working all at the same time..... it's definatly the module. Since it controls all of this and delivers power to the speed sensors etc... These have failed on just about every catera. Have it rebuilt. ModuleMasters gives a 5 year warranty on it, if it were to fail again. Oh, and one more thing..... stop taking it to the dealer. $160 just to pop the hood......:want:

smcrosby
12-23-07, 08:18 PM
What other option do I have? Apparently they are the only ones who can read SRS codes. I have talked to other GM service departments, and they have not sound too promising.........

smcrosby
12-29-07, 01:25 AM
Got it back from ATE, installed it, everything works. Hallelujah!!