: 3.6 VVT Have Similar Issues to N*??

Elmer Fudd
12-07-07, 10:18 PM
I am looking for a replacement for my soon to be defunct (due to head gaskets) N* Caddy. I am considering a 06 Lacrosse. It is the CXS with the 3.6 VVT engine. As I researched the engine I saw it was aluminum (shudder), and it powers some smaller Cadillacs !!!! :shocked2:

Do you all know if this engine has any of the same (or other) "weak points" (like gaskets and oil seals)....being aluminum and in Caddy's scares me now.....

PSRmark
12-12-07, 11:51 AM
The only thing I have seen on those have been minor oil leaks...but in the few hundred I have seen come through, I've seen probably 2 or 3. It's a fairly new motor, so I think the industry has yet to see any major problems with them as of yet...but IMO so far so good.

Good luck,

Mark

onyx
02-26-08, 03:30 PM
I am looking for a replacement for my soon to be defunct (due to head gaskets) N* Caddy. I am considering a 06 Lacrosse. It is the CXS with the 3.6 VVT engine. As I researched the engine I saw it was aluminum (shudder), and it powers some smaller Cadillacs !!!! :shocked2:

Do you all know if this engine has any of the same (or other) "weak points" (like gaskets and oil seals)....being aluminum and in Caddy's scares me now.....

youd rather have an iron block rather than an aluminum on such a small motor?

NHRATA01
04-19-10, 12:36 PM

I would not fear the engine because it is aluminum - that irrational fear seems to have been borne from problematic early all-Al motors of the 60s and 70s. A lot has changed since then, and pretty much every motor nowadays is all aluminum (hell even the venerable old iron 3.8 went out of production in '08). The N*'s problems, which were all but eliminated after '03 and mostly eliminated after '00, were due to casting techniques and head bolt design, not material choice. I have an LS1 motor making about double the factory's horsepower and has seen well over 100lbs of nitrous in it's life, that racks up a good portion of mileage in quarter mile increments, and have never had a problem with it. An iron Ford 302 would've split in half by now.

NHRATA01
04-19-10, 12:40 PM
Sorry, didn't realize this thread was over 2 years old. :duck: