: LS7 clutch flywheel and pressure plate in and...

ZEUSROTTY
12-07-07, 03:58 PM
Is it supposed to be louder? It just seems to have more of a rumble to it... Is that because the lighter flywheel doesnt dampen the vibration and noise as much? It shiftes very well and spins up nicely... Just noisy!

atdeneve
12-07-07, 04:05 PM
How noisy?

Are you talkin about clutch chatter, which would only happen during engagement, or a persistent noise?

darkman
12-07-07, 04:07 PM
With the UUC lightweight flywheel the only incremental noise occurs when the engine is "lugged" by being in a higher gear under load. Also, I would wait until you have some break-in time on it before worrying about other noises. The first few miles on a new clutch is not always representative of its long-term behavior.

SkullV
12-01-09, 11:20 PM
Does anyone else have this setup with ALL poly mounts? It seems like I'm getting a LOT of vibration between 2000-3000 RPM whether I'm in gear or in neutral. I did not have this vibration before the clutch/flywheel swap but I have heard that this is the nature of the beast when replacing the dual mass flywheel with a normal flywheel. I do not however have any additional noise, but the rumble in the first post may be the same thing that I am experiencing.

maxspeed96ct
12-02-09, 06:56 AM
Is it supposed to be louder? It just seems to have more of a rumble to it... Is that because the lighter flywheel doesnt dampen the vibration and noise as much? It shiftes very well and spins up nicely... Just noisy!

my spec 3 with 22lb fly is a bit louder .. Not much but it is noticable if you listen for it.

You may also find it is noisy if you lugg the motor, and it just seems to give off alittle more drivetrain noise under 2k RPMs

lollygagger8
12-02-09, 09:04 AM
I don't get crazy vibes like you are talking about, but my Monster stage 3 exhibits a little more noise than the dual mass turd. I could give a shit cuz I'm a happy camper since that boat anchor is out of my car.

your maker
12-02-09, 10:09 AM
i wounder if someone has this set up with UUC motor mounts and if they feel the same vibration.

lollygagger8
12-02-09, 01:49 PM
I have UUC MM's

your maker
12-02-09, 02:39 PM
my theory is that the creative mounts have steel plates on top and bottom as the UUC ones don't and isolation the vibration better,,,just my thought

SkullV
12-02-09, 02:40 PM
I mean, the poly mounts definitely accentuate the vibrations, but it's really nothing I can't handle, just wasn't expecting it.

DRKSIDE
12-02-09, 06:49 PM
I also have a vibration between 2000-3000 rpms. Just started recently after a new tranny install in 3 months ago. It happens at the same rpms no matter if I am in or out of gear, clutch engaged or disengaged. It feels like something is out of sync or out of ballance. The vibration is felt in the steering wheel, pedals and shifter and it goes away with higher or lower rpms. The car idles fine but gets that buzzy feeling around 2200 rpms.

Everything is stock on my car and I have all new motor/tranny mounts.

Any thoughts?

Tityrous
12-02-09, 07:04 PM
From what ive read and what ive done to my car the creative steel motor and trans mounts, they tightens things up a bit and it added some vibs but i believe its the car being more of the car it should have been from the factory these cars have alot of drive train loss with the rubber mounts, big flywheel and rubber mount on the drive shaft... I guess it just takes a little time to get used to.

cobra v
12-02-09, 09:19 PM
I had the same buzzy/vibration after my LS7 flywheel & pressure plate install. It buzzed and tingled in the clutch pedal when engaged at a higher RPM. But fear not, it went away after a good break-in period. It's great now with a bit more sound. It's enhances the feel and driving experinence. And it makes me question whether I want to put on a Magna Flow cat back system for more sound.

SkullV
12-02-09, 09:24 PM
What kind of break in period does an OEM clutch need? I heard that they were ready to go right out of the box.

lollygagger8
12-02-09, 10:16 PM
500 miles is the general consensus

SkullV
12-02-09, 10:29 PM
500 miles is the general consensus

On an OEM clutch? Exactly what is considered break in?

cobra v
12-02-09, 11:35 PM
1,500 or more for me

SkullV
12-02-09, 11:40 PM
What does your break in consist of? Maybe I should chill out a bit on it...

maxspeed96ct
12-03-09, 06:16 AM
On a OEM clutch like the LS7 kit you dont need much of a break in. Maybe 200 miles or even less.

lollygagger8
12-03-09, 09:19 AM
You aren't supposed to be flooring it or "beating" on it for 500 miles, because the clutch disc and pressure plate are "mating" to each other.

Back in the day the old school racers would put the front bumper up to a tree and slip the shit out of the clutch to get them to "break in" and get rid of the chatter and get em to mate sooner. This won't work with our plastic bumpers obviously, but I suppose you could slip it a bunch to break it in faster. I wouldn't ever personally do that, nor do I recommend it.

Your other option is you could just take it easy on your car for 500 miles like everyone else.

JimmyH
12-03-09, 01:05 PM
they call that "burnishing" the clutch

CTS-Voodoo
12-03-09, 06:36 PM
I have no idea what all this noise and vibration stuff is about... I get more "rev feel" when downshifting though the clutch pedal, but other than the fact that you have to give the car a tiny bit more gas to spin up a 15lb flywheel (yay big cams! lol), I only notice that the top of first gear comes WAY too quickly now.:yup:

SkullV
12-03-09, 06:52 PM
I think it is actually the exhaust causing my vibrations. It honestly sounds/feels like exhaust pulses. Going to go back to a stock exhaust and see what happens. If that works well I'll add cutouts.

JimmyH
12-04-09, 04:35 PM
Rob has an LS7 clutch, and he never said anything about vibrations. Of course he has a 3" exhaust with headers that probably over-powers any drivetrain vibration :D

crankedupforit
12-04-09, 05:18 PM
Rob has an LS7 clutch, and he never said anything about vibrations. Of course he has a 3" exhaust with headers that probably over-powers any drivetrain vibration :D

I wonder if they (LS7 Clutches) are balanced assemblies. I imagine that they would be.

BTW Jimmy I-294 is almost finished. No more traffic jams.

JimmyH
12-05-09, 10:28 AM
BTW Jimmy I-294 is almost finished. No more traffic jams.

:histeric:

you should be a comedian, that is one of the funniest things I have ever read :bouncy:

crankedupforit
12-05-09, 02:54 PM
:histeric:

you should be a comedian, that is one of the funniest things I have ever read :bouncy:

No sh*t. I spent 3 hours out there last week to go 47 miles

lollygagger8
12-07-09, 09:43 AM
No sh*t. I spent 3 hours out there last week to go 47 miles

I bet your left calf is HUGE! :lol:

That's one thing about Chitown I don't miss!

your maker
12-08-09, 12:53 PM
any feed back on these items?

JimmyH
12-09-09, 12:40 PM
Everyone I know with the LS7 clutch is quite happy. Had I kept the V, that was to be my next mod.

SkullV
12-09-09, 01:45 PM
I like it, there is a little more "rumble in the floorboards" but I think a lot of that can be attributed to the poly mounts. After I go to stock exhaust with cutouts I think it will all be the perfect combo.