: P0147 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 3 - overheating

Crown Vic Owner
12-07-07, 11:52 AM
P0147 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 3

yep,

either way, can this cause the car to run a little hotter than normal

and also, is this something i can do a WOT run with and fix it, maybe some stuff clogged in the exhaust?

Submariner409
12-07-07, 01:11 PM
I think that's the after-CAT sensor. An overheat might be caused by either a too rich fuel mixture, or a partially clogged CAT which causes it to run hotter than normal (HOT, any way you look at it...)

That O2 sensor, with pigtail, is about $55 from Rock Auto.

Ranger
12-07-07, 07:14 PM
I wouldn't think that a WOT run will do much for this situation.

Crown Vic Owner
12-07-07, 07:51 PM
ok, i figured as much, maybe something on the 02 blocking it i was thinking.

Either way, can it just be from it being so cold out or what?

Crown Vic Owner
12-07-07, 10:14 PM
would this cause the motor to stall
?

Ranger
12-07-07, 10:51 PM
Probably just getting old. Don't think it would cause a stall.

Crown Vic Owner
12-07-07, 10:58 PM
lol, isc motor i bet

20 miles on express way, went to stop, it died, started up and fine

meh

Ranger
12-07-07, 11:17 PM
Could be several things. Got codes?

Crown Vic Owner
12-07-07, 11:35 PM
not 1 related

just in the history for a stall

the transmission range sensor has had a code, but i know why that threw a code, and thats about it.

the 02 bullshit all started after it snowed,

The sensors 7k miles old, so i dont know why its throwing a code

Ranger
12-08-07, 12:13 AM
OH, only 7K on them? That's another story. You haven't sprayed any silicone around the intake have you? How about coolant? Don't you have another thread about head gaskets? Coolant will do a number on them too I think.

Crown Vic Owner
12-08-07, 12:31 AM
the thing that makes no sense, is i am 100 precent sure its a new motor as the old one i found sitting in the shop. I found the invoicefor the new one, and supposedly it was a timeserted block.

The motor has been cared for extensively. Coolant was tested and it came back fine without a blown HG, and i would assume it would kill the o2s that are on the headers first.

The coolant is fresh dexcool, as its oarnge as ****, its clean too. No coolant is being lost, it makes no sense.

The o2s hadda be replaced with the old motor.

Supposedly the old owner ran the motor out of oil, and that passes from the looks of it. I guess at first he lied, and ended up melting a piston from the looks and sound of it. I should tear that motor down if i get a chance

Ranger
12-08-07, 12:36 AM
I wonder if they are A/C Delco sensors or some other make like Bosch?

Crown Vic Owner
12-08-07, 12:42 AM
I wonder myself.

I will throw it on the lift monday. Lets just hope its not a HG, its going to be a total bitch to pull it, BUT i would get a new motor, so

who knows.

All i know is this motor barely burns ANY oil, a 1/4 quart in almost 3k miles

Actually, is the vin number on the engine block by chance?

I think i may be able to solve a few questions ive been wondering.

Ranger
12-08-07, 12:44 AM
I would not worry too much about the HG based on what you said. I did not realize the motor was replaced and was Timeserted.

Crown Vic Owner
12-08-07, 12:50 AM
I would not worry too much about the HG based on what you said. I did not realize the motor was replaced and was Timeserted.

I know

the rear 02 sensor i could give 2 shits about

The thing that scares me is i smell a tad of antifreeze at the front of the engine by the rad, and i realize the car is running a tad hot, never gets past the 1st notch after the middle, and it didnt do this after i got the CEL, but maybe 3 times after. The car did smell like antifreeze when my dad gave it to me as well, it ended up being some hose that was loose from the swap.

I mean, i looked at the rad hose, thinking maybe the waterpump pulley was going into it, it isnt. I thought id check the antifreeze, and its filled to the top, max where it should be, and i check that weekly. Oils fine, everything.

I did see a drop or 2 in front of the radiator that i could give 2 shits about if its a extremely slow leak, but it does not seem to be coming from the side tanks (i believe they are called surge tanks on this car?). I believe i remember reading somewhere in here that the oil to coolant and trans fluid to coolant exchangers are in the side tanks of these cars. I dont have a milkshake with the oil or coolant, so im going to say its safe to say i dont have a issue there.

And also, i BELIEVE the motor is timeserted, i could never get a certan answer out of anyone but they leaned toward yes, but im going to take a guess and say since the motor is a reman, that it was timeserted. I dont think i should have a issue with headgaskets anyway as i keep coolant changed religiously.

Ranger
12-08-07, 02:14 AM
I mean, i looked at the rad hose, thinking maybe the waterpump pulley was going into it, it isnt. I thought id check the antifreeze, and its filled to the top, max where it should be, and i check that weekly. Oils fine, everything.

That may be your problem. There should be 2" - 2.5" of air space. If it is filled to the top it will vent the excess as it heats and expands. That may be what you are smelling.

Crown Vic Owner
12-08-07, 02:31 AM
IDK, i see like a bar going across the res, and i know THAT is just about covered in coolant when its cold.

Crown Vic Owner
12-08-07, 02:32 AM
i know i smell it when im in the drivers seat, in the passenger seat not so much, but if i go sniff by the radiator i do smell it

Unfortunately, my nieghbors do think im crazy and decided to call the cops on me one day for sniffing shit around my car.

Ranger
12-08-07, 11:09 AM
If you smell it by the radiator, it may be a crack in one of the side tanks. Get a pressure tester and leave the cooling system pressurized for several hours or overnight and the leak should show itself.

Crown Vic Owner
12-08-07, 11:13 AM
the CEL bitched at me for this again this morning, but it was severely cold.

The rad was pressure tested back when the engine was installed, at least it says that on the laundry list of shit done.

of course, that was a few years (2006ish) ago and 8k ago.