: 1st gear WOT

Crown Vic Owner
12-07-07, 12:49 AM
So, im going out in 10 mins, and i dont have alot of open road, so can i throw it in first and do the WOT cleaning, or does it have to be in second for the revdown.

The cars running like total shit again. Figures, my mom never lets the car above 2000 RPMS when i let her drive it

JC316
12-07-07, 01:05 AM
The whole concept is engine pressure, so it should work in any gear.

Ranger
12-07-07, 01:29 AM
1st gear should work, I think.

Crown Vic Owner
12-07-07, 02:20 AM
i got bigger problems

i went out, it decided to snow, temp gauge was 1 notch higher than normal, and i think a HGs blown

Tommy Deville
12-07-07, 12:33 PM
i got bigger problems

i went out, it decided to snow, temp gauge was 1 notch higher than normal, and i think a HGs blown

I think its fine, if it was idling a while u were shoveling for a while, one notch above the half is like 227* which is just aout normal 4 the n* the fan(s) kick on.

Crown Vic Owner
12-07-07, 12:40 PM
it was like that the whole time i drove

creeker
12-07-07, 01:09 PM
[quote=Ranger;1319798]1st gear should work, I think.[/quo

Is the main objective to red line it?, no matter what gear it's in?.

Ranger
12-07-07, 07:10 PM
Yes. Our old Guru said that you want a full throttle red line shift and then let it back down in 2nd gear. I think he said that the 2nd gear deceleration creates high vacuum or back pressure and ring flutter, which breaks up carbon on the rings and frees them up in the lands.

fubar569
12-08-07, 05:35 AM
Yes. Our old Guru said that you want a full throttle red line shift and then let it back down in 2nd gear. I think he said that the 2nd gear deceleration creates high vacuum or back pressure and ring flutter, which breaks up carbon on the rings and frees them up in the lands.

so is it a bad thing to go gears 1-3 redline and hold it to the wood till fuel cut at 112? :canttalk: :shhh::lildevil::thumbsup:

i swear i have no idea how it happens though...sometimes the pedal makes contact with the floor and the car just has a mind of its own?

but seriously yes...2nd gear....wot through the 1-2 shift and most of the way through 2nd...let it decelerate on its own...repeat as many times as pocketbook and grin allow

Zorb750
12-08-07, 02:40 PM
First may not kepe pressure high enough for long enough. Also, seriously, head gasket doesn't cause sustained "sort of high" temperatures. It will bounce everywhere over half, from half way to the 7th mark, back to half way, peg itself and then drop back to half or a mark over, just in several seconds (20-40) of aggressive driving.

Check thermostat. It's an easy change, takes 15 minutes, a gallon of coolant, a gallon of water, and a 10mm wrench/socket.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and a decent sized pan. Also, please exercise common sense and don't do this if your temperature is above the 1/8 way point or so (115 F give or take). I shouldn't have to say this, but with the near ubiquity of stupidity of late...