: OK, now it's rum's turn

Brett
12-06-07, 06:44 PM
what are some of your favorite Rums?

I recently discovered 10 cane rum and it is quite tasty:alchi:

DILLIGAF
12-06-07, 06:54 PM
Never disliked any kind of rum.I drink light rum in frozen drinks usually.Not a captain lover,but I do drink it.

Brett
12-06-07, 07:01 PM
well, i pretty much like any rum as well....I was looking for some ideas on higher end rum.

Have you ever tried Captain Morgan Tatoo? its cheap and tastes great only 70 proof, but awesome with Dr. Pepper

HITMONEY
12-06-07, 07:12 PM
Now we're talking...

My 2 drinks..

Captain Morgan Private Stock and Coke.

And

Bacardi Mojito

PS Try Tatoo and Red bull... Tasty.

BTW, If you are from the Tampa area, it is almost mandatory you drink Captain Morgan. :)

DILLIGAF
12-06-07, 07:15 PM
Yes I have!

Is there higher end rum out there?

I had a bottle of Jamaican Rum that was stout as hell,but I don't remember the name.It was a gift.

As all know,I love Tequilla.

I'll go the liquor store right now,i'm bored.We'll try something new!

HITMONEY
12-06-07, 07:19 PM
Well, I just looked through my Liquor Distributors info and their highest rated rum is "Oronoco 80", wholesale cost is 40.98 for a liter bottle.

Second is "10 Cane", 37.68 wholesale for a liter.

Ahhhh, Tommy Bahama Rum is good as well...I have an awesome gift pack at home of both their rums on a lighted stand. Pretty cool and tasty. Runs 30.75 wholesale for a liter.

Brett
12-06-07, 07:21 PM
Now we're talking...

My 2 drinks..

Captain Morgan Private Stock and Coke.

And

Bacardi Mojito

PS Try Tatoo and Red bull... Tasty.

BTW, If you are from the Tampa area, it is almost mandatory you drink Captain Morgan. :)

yep private stock was my goto drink....but i just discovered 10 cane, and it is damn good

Fire and Ice
12-06-07, 07:33 PM
Not much for rum myself.

I personally like the shooter: Monkey Bites

C

AMGoff
12-06-07, 08:51 PM
If it was jamaican rum it was probably some variety from the Appleton estate - fine stuff IMO.

Captain Morgan is par for the course...

Mojitos - now we're talkin... nothing's finer on a hot summer's day.

Brett
12-06-07, 09:09 PM
you should visit tampa sometime goff...mojitos are pretty much ubiquitous down here

dkozloski
12-06-07, 09:24 PM
What was the gold standard around years ago was 151 proof Hudson's Bay Rum. I guess it must be off the market now. During Russian lend lease days in WWII more than one Russian pilot fell victim to that stuff. One poured his own shot in a saloon in a water glass like they do with Vodka. He never made it to the door of the saloon and died of a heart seizure on the spot.

AMGoff
12-06-07, 10:24 PM
you should visit tampa sometime goff...mojitos are pretty much ubiquitous down here

There are few "mixed" drinks that I really like, but I <3 mojitos. By extension, due to my affinity to bourbon I also like a good mint julep every now and then as well.. especially in the summer or when we're down in Jamaica.

It HAS to be made with FRESH mint though... we always have several plants growing during the summer and usually keep one going inside during the winter - just because I enjoy cooking with it as well.

Submariner409
12-06-07, 10:43 PM
AMGoff, You're not too far from here. I have my own plot of Southern Gentleman mint and a case of Evan Williams 1783. Come Derby day, drop in for what is arguably the world's best Mint Julep. Sterling silver and cotton gloves, of course.

During my yacht delivery skipper days we used to "import" Mt. Gay Barbados 80 proof rum when it was $.85 a litre in St. Thomas. Good rum, then......Appleton's distills a couple of great rums also....all aged in old Kentucky Bourbon casks.

On a frosty winter's day, try a hot mug of Swiss Miss milk chocolate laced with a stiff snort of your favorite rum.